Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 344 345 [346] 347 348 ... 504

Author Topic: Note to Urist--In which you express your frustration to your dwarves  (Read 1507995 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Note to Urist--In which you express your frustration to your dwarves
« Reply #5175 on: August 16, 2013, 11:23:09 pm »

I imagine it more like this:

"Bring out yer dead!"
*The elves all put on "U" bibs and hold forks & knives.*
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5176 on: August 16, 2013, 11:40:41 pm »

Elves don't use metal tools, so no flatware for them.

More like bamboo kebab skewers and chopsticks. Possibly a roasting spit.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5177 on: August 16, 2013, 11:50:32 pm »

They can grow their tableware right from the trees, though.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5178 on: August 16, 2013, 11:56:13 pm »

Ever tried cutting gamey, weathered elf meat with a wooden kife?

I assure you, wooden tablewear wouldn't work for much more than plates. Just look at how ineffectual their (ahem) "swords" are.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5179 on: August 17, 2013, 12:02:21 am »

As seen from their swords, wouldn't stop them from trying :P

InfinityOrNone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5180 on: August 17, 2013, 01:10:53 am »

OK, I'm fine with ragging on elves (along with burning them, murdering them, torturing them, imprisoning them within a mountain for all eternity, devouring their children, forcing them to listen to audio-recordings of Atlas Shrugged...), but the whole, "Wooden swords are worthless," thing kinda pisses me off. Case in point:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miyamoto_Musashi

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5181 on: August 17, 2013, 02:03:39 am »

Yes, but just because one exceptional badass makes good use of them doesn't mean they're awesome.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5182 on: August 17, 2013, 02:11:54 am »

OK, I'm fine with ragging on elves (along with burning them, murdering them, torturing them, imprisoning them within a mountain for all eternity, devouring their children, forcing them to listen to audio-recordings of Atlas Shrugged...), but the whole, "Wooden swords are worthless," thing kinda pisses me off. Case in point:

Remember, these are elven wood swords we're talking about. On a much, much lower level than anything during japanese feudal times.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #5183 on: August 17, 2013, 02:25:38 am »

Well, it's a simple fact that all elves issue forth a "Pansy Cloud" that makes all weapons wielded by them utterly ineffective.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #5184 on: August 17, 2013, 05:16:17 pm »

Dear Overseer,

You have my deepest, and heartfelt apologies! Having seen first hand the fashion in which you administrate our humble fortress, I really did think you would appreciate and love this unique piece of dwarven craftsmanship. It was the next best thing I could provide, aside from a robe from an actual necromancer.  I know that such an item would probably have pleased you more, but it is against our code of ethics to take trophies from kills, as I am sure you understand.

Instead, I did my very best to give you a uniquely stylish and artifact quality article of clothing that can be worn over a set of armor, so that you could assign it to the captain of the guard to strike fear into the hearts of our enemies, as well as afford him a lovely x3 defensive bonus for the clothing layer.

I really did think you would be elated with this item, that I fully burned out the inner spark of my dwarven soul to create for you.  You have no idea how heartbroken I am that you aren't happy with it. I'd offer to do better next time, but we both know that once the spark is gone, it never comes back.

Please accept my most humble, and sincere apologies.

Urist McClothier

Well...okay then.  I'll accept that. I would say back to work churning out Masterwork Socks, but it was a possession.  Carry on!

The Overseer
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

JustAVoice

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
U
« Reply #5185 on: August 17, 2013, 08:08:16 pm »

Dear Urist McFarmer,

When planting seeds, is it really necessary to take the WHOLE BARREL with you?

Sincerely, your starving fortress.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: U
« Reply #5186 on: August 17, 2013, 08:24:15 pm »

Dear Urist McFarmer,

When planting seeds, is it really necessary to take the WHOLE BARREL with you?

Sincerely, your starving fortress.
Urist McFarmer cancels plant: No fisher berry seeds

All because one guy takes the whole barrel.

gabrek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5187 on: August 19, 2013, 11:06:09 am »

Dear Ducim Rakustod, Forgemaster,

Oftentimes we have members of our society enter strange, trance-like moods, in which their sole purpose becomes to craft some ridiculous trinket, such as the single lead low boot or a microcline bed menacing with spikes of forgotten beast bone and dog soap. This has become an embarrassment to our race that our fey inspirations allow us the ability to make the finest, magical artifacts, and that these rare gifts are wasted on what is essentially garbage (cite: every scepter ever made).
When you withdrew from society, I was thrilled to see you run directly to your place of work and start gathering iron. ... just iron. And immediately started production- no frills, no stones or turkey leather for you.
You produced an iron anvil. Gusgashizbiz Onolthad- "Stokeddeer the Mountainous Crowd." Menacing with spikes of iron. And with an image of .. smooth pebbles in iron..
I appreciate you avoiding the useless and the ridiculous, but we will allow slightly more creativity than that in the future. I'm pretty sure the giant parakeet in the nesting room has made more interesting artifacts than this.
Yers,
Nil Vetekdakost, McNoble

mek42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5188 on: August 19, 2013, 02:10:20 pm »

Dear Urist Mason,

When I want to open the caverns, I ask my miners to dig.  I give them the best possible copper picks from Embark with which to do this.  On the other hand, when I desire a marvelous feat of engineering, spanning a floor in between two bridges supported only by on or two natural wall tiles, I come to you, my wondrous masons.  Have I given you a copper pick?  No, as you are not a miner.  It is not your job to open the caverns, much less then by laying the first block of floor from the bridge, not the wall, and trying to hold it in place as it, and thence yourself, plummets clear down into the magma sea.
"Is that the game with the blinky characters and no pictures?  Maybe you do have Asperger's." - My wife after I mentioned my excitement over the elves bringing by caravan a whole bunch of wood after my deforestation project was neglected due to a near-tantrum spiral and total loss of my initial seven and a bunch of immigrants.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5189 on: August 19, 2013, 03:38:38 pm »

PS: Why are you black but redheaded? You dye your hair or you just fucked with an autmun tree?

To Armok,
God of profane and relentless bloodshed

We, the elves of (unintelligable swirly gibberish), take GREAT offence at your rather LEWD accusation of sexual inpropriety on our part!

We will have you know, in the most stern words we feel proper to use (being opposed to violence in any form!), that any such profane rumors about how we go about naming our favored trees in our sacred groves in no way, shape, or form involves any of the lurid and blasphemous acts that and your diminutive, tree murdering savages so relentlessly accuse us of!

If you MUST know why some of us have rust colored hair, despite being darkened by the gentle caress of the brilliant sun, it is because our sacred pact with nature forbids us to harm our animal brothers and sisters, and as a consequence, many of us have developed kwashiorkor, and make use of clever, tight fitting bodices to conceal the bloated deformities it causes in our midrifts. Try as we might, but we just can't get enough protien from muckroots, prickle berries, and ropereeds.

Now that we have sated your PURILE curiosity on this matter, we expect that you will cease spreading such slanderous drivel about our peace loving people!

-- the Elven nation of (incomprehensible swirlies)
Allrigth, sorry, sorry.
*cough*treehumpingbastards*cough*
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about
Pages: 1 ... 344 345 [346] 347 348 ... 504