Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 504

Author Topic: Note to Urist--In which you express your frustration to your dwarves  (Read 1500696 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Note to Urist--In which you express your frustration to your dwarves
« Reply #2790 on: February 06, 2012, 10:21:34 pm »

The residents of lakespire suggest that you attempt the creation of <*RumRaisin Icecream*> using <*dark rum*>, <*heavy cream*>, <*vanilla extract*>, and <*gourmet golden grape raisins*>.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2791 on: February 06, 2012, 10:33:48 pm »

Dear miners,
I get it, you're finding a lot of damp stone. There's a reason for this, if you may recall the floor above you temporarily flooded when the lakes you were digging through suddenly thawed for spring. You are not about to dig into an aquifer, nor are you suddenly going to tap the river. Please, quit your whining!
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2792 on: February 07, 2012, 12:14:17 am »

Dear Merchants,

If the goblin siege ambushes you just outside my front gate, it's generally more advisable to run towards the fort entrance rather than away from it; That way, I'll be able to effectively protect you and as a bonus, it draws the invaders to my specially designed Hallway of Pointy Death. I sure as HFS am not going to send my squads to their deaths just to rescue your stupid ass (or horse, or hammerdwarf, or yourself) from all the way across the map.  >:(

-'Sus' Bridgedpits, Turtle Mode Fort Overseer

..Oh well. They left all their goodies behind, and the outpost liaison survived. Not a bad outcome, all things considered. :3
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

JDRingo

• Bay Watcher
  • If the cops ask, I'm a lumberjack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2793 on: February 07, 2012, 12:40:10 am »

Hey, friends from the Mountainhomes! Next time you lead a bunch of goblins to our peaceful little fort, do you think you could lend a hand with killing them? Y'know instead of watching them murder all of our livestock.
"Armok, the God of Blood, is just about the only constant in these chaotic random universes. A general sense of conflict keeps Armok appeased - when the universe becomes too boring it is set on the anvil of creation to be reforged."

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2794 on: February 07, 2012, 12:52:16 pm »

Dear UristMcStupidWoodcutter

Please, stop idling in an unsecured part of hell.   Seriously.  There are no trees down there.  You're just being really stupid.  When a demon inevitably strolls along and ridiculously murders you, we will not even attempt to retrieve your body.

Sincerely, your annoyed overseer.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 12:55:22 pm by Vehudur »
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Chipperbane

• Bay Watcher
  • Sustained by Diligent Elephant Hunters
    • View Profile
« Reply #2795 on: February 07, 2012, 02:58:31 pm »

Dear Avuz Onshenurvad,

When you find yourself in the middle of a goblin pikeman ambush, and you are able to gain distance, don't try to juke around and crap. If you are faster than them, run in a straight line. Don't try fancy diagonals or hiding behind trees. If you are able to gain distance, run home. Don't run into the shell of the Microcline Mansion that is currently under construction and has a 3 tile-wide section of unfinished wall. Because that entrance is the only exit.

I thank Armok that you have no friends, no children, and no lover. You're a non-entity. You will not be missed.

I have sent Rovod to clean up after you. He's already tearing into the ambush squad.

Truly,

Your Benevolent Overseer

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2796 on: February 07, 2012, 06:31:43 pm »

Dear Urist McCrippledSoldier,

Please report to the hospital for your new crutch.  I'm really, really sorry about that lost foot.  I was positive that all the prisoners had been stripped of their weapons prior to being unleashed in the training room, but apparently that scimitar-wielding goblin got past me.  Good job on not passing out or anything elfy like that, but fighting on until he was dead.  It set a good example for your squadmates.

Sincerely, Your Embarrassed Overseer.

PS: You're rather pale; get something to eat.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2797 on: February 07, 2012, 07:41:09 pm »

Dear Udib sezukdatan, duke of whipsack,

Please stop mandating the construction of armor stands. You have 73 of them in your quarters now. You couldn't possibly use them all, considering there aren't that many suits of armor in the whole fortress.

Further mandates for these things will result in your becoming trapped in you quarters by their addition. No, you will not just get a bigger room. You will become trapped, because I refuse to remodel an entire level of the fortress to accommodate your fettishistic hoarding.

Stop mandating the construction of armor stands. You have been warned.

Candidly yours,

Chipperbane

• Bay Watcher
  • Sustained by Diligent Elephant Hunters
    • View Profile
« Reply #2798 on: February 08, 2012, 01:01:14 am »

Dear Sigun Asmellurit,

I'm sure you're tickled with the artifact crutch you just made, but did you REALLY need to name it Sigun Asmellurit?

How conceited can you be?!

Flabbergasted-ly yours,

God
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 08:45:34 pm by Chipperbane »

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2799 on: February 08, 2012, 01:04:44 am »

Dear Sigun Asmellurit,

I'm sure your tickled with the artifact crutch you just made, but did you REALLY need to name it Sigun Asmellurit?

How conceited can you be?!

Flabbergasted-ly yours,

God

That is one for the record books to be sure.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2800 on: February 08, 2012, 04:33:07 am »

I had a dwarf make adamantine chain leggings, who named it Meng Oarsounded after himself.
It made for very odd engravings.

This is a superior engraving by Urist McEngraver. On the image is Meng Oarsounded the dwarf and Meng Oarsounded the adamantine chain leggings. Meng Oarsounded is raising Meng Oarsounded.

OldPrussia

• Bay Watcher
  • What do you mean we don't have a Pick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2801 on: February 08, 2012, 05:11:28 am »

Dear Urist McNewGuy

I know you came to my fort to make a name for yourself. To become somebody, to be the BEST! But how in your long life have you fail to become anything more than just a novice Wood-Burner. I mean come on man give me something to work with.

Lovingly yours
A Friend
"Yeah this metal is pretty cool better mine all of it... OH MY GOD."

uwaiawu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: February 08, 2012, 07:00:14 am »

Dear miners,
I get it, you're finding a lot of damp stone. There's a reason for this, if you may recall the floor above you temporarily flooded when the lakes you were digging through suddenly thawed for spring. You are not about to dig into an aquifer, nor are you suddenly going to tap the river. Please, quit your whining!

Go into data/init/announcements.txt
Search for
Code: [Select]
[DIG_CANCEL_WARM:A_D:D_D:P:R]
[DIG_CANCEL_DAMP:A_D:D_D:P:R]
and remove the last two letters in both of these lines (P and R respectively)
Your dorfs will still cancel the designation, but the game won't pause and neither will it zoom to the cancelled designation. Makes digging under a lake so much more comfortable.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2803 on: February 08, 2012, 07:04:08 am »

Dear Ast Tannish, Mason.

If you don't hurry up and build that bridge, you'll be the first one to test out how well it lowers.

Regards, Overseer Yuuko.
*Hugs*

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2804 on: February 08, 2012, 07:35:32 am »

Dear Urist McNewGuy

I know you came to my fort to make a name for yourself. To become somebody, to be the BEST! But how in your long life have you fail to become anything more than just a novice Wood-Burner. I mean come on man give me something to work with.

Lovingly yours
A Friend
No, no, no!

"Dear Mountainhomes,
Give me your peasants, your novice soap makers,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming halls.
Send these, the fish dissectors, the clerks to me,
I'll tell them to shut up, dorf up and start hauling rocks!"

- 'Sus' Plagiatedarts, "the New Masterwork Statue of a Bronze Colossus"
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 504