Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 504

Author Topic: Note to Urist--In which you express your frustration to your dwarves  (Read 1500793 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Note to Urist--In which you express your frustration to your dwarves
« Reply #1230 on: March 20, 2011, 11:52:37 pm »

Dear Overseer:

If you'd have told me there was a siege coming I wouldn't have been asleep. I can't stay awake all the time just on the off-chance that the gobbos come knocking.

-Urist.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: March 20, 2011, 11:59:44 pm »

While it is true that Dwarf Fortress's dwarves aren't real, do we really want to keep training ourselves to consider accents, and by extension the speakers of those accents, inferior? I would guess this is based on a cultural trend to view eye dialects as funny, perhaps because we imagine the speaker is making a mistake that the reader, with their "correct" accent, would never make. Is it a mistake to having an accent of otherwise correct Dwarven (English) different from one's own?

I've never thought of it that way.

I like phonetic accents because I like accents in general, and there's something about having it written out that helps me hear it in my head. It gives the speech a bit more character, when applicable. It's not about the other person speaking my language "wrong," it's just about translating a quality of speech to a soundless medium. I can understand how someone with the accent in question could see it as a ridiculous (and perhaps offensive) caricature, though.

I also think there are better things to get offended about, but what'cha gonna do.
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: March 21, 2011, 12:30:59 am »

I like phonetic accents because I like accents in general, and there's something about having it written out that helps me hear it in my head.
What about when it's your accent?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: March 21, 2011, 01:01:03 am »

I like phonetic accents because I like accents in general, and there's something about having it written out that helps me hear it in my head.
What about when it's your accent?

:> i am saxonian german ... may i add my accent in? *think of Col. Klink of Hogan's Heroes :P

btw what is it with people letting the dwarfes sound like the Nac Mac Feegle People (Wee Free Men) from Discworld :) or are our dwarfs scottish? :)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 01:19:09 am by schussel »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: March 21, 2011, 01:02:34 am »

Generally dwarves are seen as Scottish vikings. Ours just resemble the viking part a bit more than usual.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: March 21, 2011, 01:27:06 am »

Scottish Vikings sound extremely odd for me, i feel the angry rumble in Eric the Red's (did i point at the right one?) grave :)
But it makes sense i gotta admit :P

*jumps off the derail*

baegg zo ze tobbigg nau(hard to saechsel in english ;D)

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: March 21, 2011, 09:38:17 am »

Dear Benev'lent Overseer

Aye, we marksdwarves know ye want us ta ...*snip for space*
Ummm... You do know that you don't need to transcribe your accent?

Transcribe my wha' now?

While it is true that Dwarf Fortress's dwarves aren't real, do we really want to keep training ourselves to consider accents, and by extension the speakers of those accents, inferior?

Ye best not be callin me inferior or I'll be takin me axe te yer kneecaps...

---

Every dwarf sounds like something between Scottish in my head, with some Glaswegan thrown in for fun.  So yeah, pretty much like the Nac Mac Feegle.  That's because all dwarves are the same, even when they are busy dropping themselves into the pit they are digging or running out into the middle of a siege to grab a shiny new sock.

---

Dear Dragon,
I'm sorry that my fortress' defenses have been too good and you haven't had the chance to flame anyone lately.  I've tried to give you the occasional "practice" goblin, and, while I appreciate your enthusiasm, I was a little taken aback at how you set my entire front yard on fire. 

I also apologise to the dwarf to whom I mistakenly gave the order to post the goblin in your pasture without realizing sir dragon would go berserk and send out a gout of fire halfway across the front lawn, thereby incinerating both the goblin and yourself.  Your friends and family have been well-provided for and this Overseer has learned a lesson about the range and, erm, "incinerative properties" of dragonfire.

Unusually Apologetic,
Your Omniscient Overlord

« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 09:55:28 am by ledgekindred »
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: March 21, 2011, 09:53:15 am »

(hard to saechsel in english ;D)
Cornish? Voices start at about a minute in.

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: March 21, 2011, 02:12:22 pm »

rather like that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDRhwkIo0ao&feature=related

i found he doesnt saechsel at all in the english versions^^

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: March 21, 2011, 06:42:01 pm »

Dear Id McPlanter

Yes, I know you're not named Urist.  However, when you were on the wall, building, and the goblin archers started shooting at you, you did well running for the only set of stairs down and safety.  Having reached the final straight, why did you turn around and run back towards the goblins?

I may bury you, or I may throw your rotten corpse on the refuse pile to show what stupidity earns.

The Overseer.

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #1240 on: March 21, 2011, 07:20:05 pm »

Generally dwarves are seen as Scottish vikings. Ours just resemble the viking part a bit more than usual.

Now I'm thinking of Sean Connery.

Played an English spy, a Spanish immortal, a Space sherriff, a Danish prince, a Greek king, a Russian submarine captain, and a Dragon, all with Scottish accents.

Urist, Urist McDwarf.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

anon_outlaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: March 21, 2011, 08:05:56 pm »

Dear Urist McAccentObsessors

could you please stop derailing this thread? it's been going for some 83 pages and your weird obsession is threatening the entire thread. so please stop it, i don't want to have to call 3toe the hammer admin in here because we all know he loves using his ban hammer way to much and if he goes postal on everyone who has ever posted in an 83 page thread? well that would easily be half the active accounts on the site. please shut up about what the dwarves are meant to sound like? if you really need to discuss this then start your own thread.

sencirly, Urist McDosn'tGiveA@*$#AboutAccents.
Has anyone attempted to use a loyalty cascade to play a hermit fortress?

Hammerstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: March 21, 2011, 09:08:26 pm »

Dear Urist McLegendaryCarpenter,

While we appreciate your early decision to go into a mood and craft an artifact, as well as advance your skills to craft masterpieces with regularity, we cannot fathom what you were thinking. Quite frankly, what the hell are we supposed to do with an artifact barrel decorated with lizard bone spikes, and a carving of a troll tearing off a human's head? At the moment, it's sitting in the food stockpile, full of cheese, and that's where it's going to stay for now.

Get back to making beds and bins, you crazy asshole.

Your baffled Overseer

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: March 21, 2011, 10:32:05 pm »

Dear Urist McChild,
FUCK YOU.
I understand you had to wait while I set up the butchers to get you the bone you needed for your crappy craft item, but did you really have to go and grab a piece of magnetite and a platinum nugget right after? We both know you are going to just atomsmash them while trying to figure out how to put them on a completely boring donkey bone ring.

Hope you dont mind starving to death.

Sincerely the management.

Edit: Interesting. It seems if you forbid the non-bone items after the begun construction message they dont get used and the dwarf doesnt go mad. you still get a lame descriptionless artifact tho :( But at least you get to keep the useful materials.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 10:41:09 pm by Tcei »
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: March 22, 2011, 02:02:33 am »

Dear Benev'lent Overseer

Aye, we marksdwarves know ye want us ta ...*snip for space*
Ummm... You do know that you don't need to transcribe your accent?
Transcribe my wha' now?
Never mind. [/accent discussion]
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 02:04:08 am by Peewee »
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 504