Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 504

Author Topic: Note to Urist--In which you express your frustration to your dwarves  (Read 1536835 times)

JonBrant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Note to Urist--In which you express your frustration to your dwarves
« Reply #495 on: November 06, 2010, 03:37:23 am »

Dear Urist Tradersloth,

I understand that being broker is a terribly exhausting job; and that its stresses peak seven nanoseconds before you are asked to perform your job. I now realize that removing all other responsibilities in your life to allow you to focus on your calling was a drop in a bucket. The burden placed upon you has been too great and has gone unrewarded for far too long. In an attempt to make up it to you, I have left a gift of life altering proportions in your bedroom.

Sincerely,
Your humbled servant

P.S. Please ignore the extreme temperature of the door to your room.
JonBrant has been possessed!
JonBrant claims a computer!
JonBrant has begun a mysterious construction!
JonBrant has completed Kitten Blood Waterfall!

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: November 06, 2010, 06:38:13 am »

Dear Urist,

The constructed well is not likely to contain any fish.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: November 06, 2010, 09:10:59 am »

To The Fortress Guard.

I understand that failure to produce a mandated item is a high crime.  However Oosing is a lancer.  He is military.  He has nothing to do with the mayor's demands for nickel silver items that we cannot produce.

Also, did you have to haul him off to jail during a siege?  Couldn't you have waited a little while?

The Administration

----------------------------------------

To the general public.

The death of the resident referred to as 'Peasant''s death has been ruled an unfortunate rewalling accident.  The rumors of messages scrawled in blood all over the walls of the artifact storage chamber are just that, rumors.  Them and what they allegedly say are never to be spoken of again.

In other news the artifact storage chamber has been temporarily deemed off limits.   The large number of menacing spikes has been deemed a hazard for your own protection.  The chamber will be reopened when all the blood is cleaned off the walls it has been deemed safe.

The Administration
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: November 06, 2010, 10:53:11 am »

Dear itinerant cousins,

All the way on the other side of the mountain, huh? The one I smoothed slopes off to keep archers from finding a sniper's perch over my farmers? The one year I have nothing but the finest in-house metalcrafts ready in minutes, rather than rounding up a bunch of scattered garbage for a month, and you had to go mountain-hiking for your approach. While I appreciate you dealing with the thieving scaly nuisance out there, it should've been as unnecessary an encounter as the 10-goblin war party you might have run into instead.

Something wrong with the 5-lane blacktop right next to the gate? All of the local dwarves find it to be a rather fetching road.  If you're more comfortable with an underground road, well I've got another one downstairs to provide a swift and secure route.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: November 06, 2010, 10:55:02 am »

Dear engraver,
I don't think a citizen would like to see a cyclops beating dwarves to death in their room.
Sincerely,
Overseer
P.S:To whom it may concern:
Are you freaking clown lovers? Nearly all of the population likes this brute, or that specter, or this phantom. I'm tired of it!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 12:15:00 pm by GaxkangtheUnbound »
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

mrbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: November 06, 2010, 11:50:37 am »

My secretary has been a bit lazy getting these sent out, so there's a few:

Dear Urist McMiner

When you are set a project I expect that project to be completed in a timely, orderly fashion.
I hope it is understood that if I set you another project, that it is part of the grander scheme of things and so it is taken into consideration that you are already on another project. This works around the timeline the Company operates to and as such, we expect you to complete your original project before moving on to the new job.

If you are found to have abandoned a current project to move onto something else you will be henceforth stripped of your pickaxe, your rights to food and beverages and will be sent on Titan Handling duties until further notice.

Sincerely,

Management

----

Dear Urist McHunter

Your efforts at the fortress are appreciated. You have consistently returned home with numerous trophies and kills, all of which have helped the prosperity of the fortress and allowed everyone to partake of some fine meat cuts, as well as giving our chefs a healthy supply of food with which to work.

However, if in future you continue to refuse to pick up your own bolts, still serviceable, and then complain that you cannot hunt as you have no more ammunition, you will be sent down to the Monster Exercise Yard where you will have to kill the Hydra using only your bow. Without any ammunition. As you couldn't be bothered to pick it up again.

Sincerely,

Management

------

Dear Urists,

In future, pets are not allowed to be adopted or taken at random. Anyone owning a pet is to hereby hand it over to the Animal Trainer who will decide if the animal can be utilised or if not, whether the Butcher has free time to take care of the problem. Pets are not only a hygiene issue they are also causing allergic outbreaks amongst certain members of the community and as such, will be removed with immediate effect.

Sincerely,
Management

----

Dear Urist McImmigrants,

If you arrive at my fortress unannounced and expect to be given shelter, food and drink, then accept that you have no right to complain if you are told to share three beds between fifteen of you. If you do attempt to integrate into the community it is strongly advised you find a trade, quickly, or you will find yourself enroled into permanent military service. The terms of service are full enlistment with meals and drinks supplied. The duration of the service term is until death. Promotion is available to thsoe who do not die.

Sincerely,

Management

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: November 06, 2010, 04:44:47 pm »

Memorandum to: Urist McBroker, aka Nish Mengidos
Re: Duties

It has come to our attention in seasons past that you have a touch of Attention Deficit Hyperdwarf Disorder. We understand this. It is our policy here in Lanternrelics to accommodate to the best of our ability Dwarves with special needs. This is why we take the step of turning off all of your labors when the traders are in town, and you have been excused from all hauling and menial duties.

Also, please take special note of your holdings: owing to your status as one of the founding seven, you have been given holdings suitable for nobility, including a splendid office, a grand bedroom and a fine dining room. Your furniture totals to two chests, six cabinets, six weapon racks and six armor stands. All of your walls are engraved.

It has come to our attention that at present time you proceed what is either blithe ignorance or gross flaunting of your present orders - currently, your one and only duty - to haul yourself down to the depot and conduct trade with the humie bastards who're slavering for all of the dragon bone schlock we've had our bonegrinders cranking out non-stop since the last dragon invasion, simply to clear out the bonehorde; instead you choose to cleanse yourself. This has us puzzled for a few reasons.

1: Over the past three years here at Lanternrelics, you have not cared about the fact that not only have you been completely encrusted with every manner of blood and filth known to Dwarvenkind.
2: Nor have you cared about this despite the fact that you are completely naked, as all of your clothing burned away during the first dragon attack.
3: Being that you are made entirely of steel, it is utterly impossible for you to catch any sort of illness whatsoever, even were you to wallow about in the most vile filth imaginable.

We are very aggravated at this, as there are humans in the depot who need to be relieved of their valuables, most specifically their food and alcohol, without which we will starve, dehydrate, or (worst of the three) go sober. However, we are willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. It may be your expert opinion as our outpost's broker that the humie bastards will react less poorly to your gleaming, clean stainless steel feminine form than they will to the same form coated in blood and grime.

However, and I say this with all due respect, if you don't get your frakking ass into that frakking depot when you're done washing off, I swear to Armok I will draft you and send you into the caverns to hunt down and kill those frakking forgotten beasts alone, armed with nothing more than your stainless steel fists!

Sincerely,
Management.

Dear Urist McJuniorHuntBender, aka Alath Inkshimmers (Age 1)

I understand that it is on my head and my head alone that I undertook to impress upon your young person service to the community in the form of child labor. Even more irresponsibly, I assigned you to the task of hunting, requiring you - who are yourself a target for foul beasts such as goblin kidnappers - to crawl about the wilderness of our lands with a ranged weapon and a quiver full of ammunition in search of food.

To my great surprise this is a challenge to which you seem ready to rise. You have dutifully armed yourself with a ranged weapon, and procured both a quiver and ammunition. However, you are, for some unfathomable reason, wielding an Iron Bow which no doubt came to be in our stockpiles as part of a vein of goblinite.

Nevertheless, you are a Steel Dwarf. You were ejected from your mother's nethers with all the intelligence (or should I say lack thereof) of any member of this fortress, and needed only to grow large enough to equip yourself, which you have done. Why in Armok's name are you wielding a weapon which Dwarves are not supposed to wield, and especially carrying mismatched ammunition? I assigned you and another young child-dwarf who arrived in the same wave as you to the task of hunting. Not only is he out there hunting, he's achieved the rank of Proficient Hunter, and will soon progress to Talented. As a Marksdwarf and an Archer he is Acomplished, and he's a Proficient Ambusher; our military will profit from his induction as soon as he is old enough. You, on the other hand, have nothing to show for yourself, not having even skulked around the fortress developing your skills as an ambusher.

And now, you have been possessed by a mood, no doubt to create something ridiculous and useless in the craftsdwarfs workshops, as you passed up all the magma forges and magma glass kilns that were near you when you were taken. You won't even get any bloody experience out of it, as this was a case of possession.

Drop that bow and pick up an armok-loving crossbow, or zog me, I will have you atom-smashed!

Drunkenly Yours,
Management.

P.S. I'm off to the boozehorde. If you don't drop that zogging non-crossbow (or at least zogging arm yourself with some zogging arrows), you will never again taste alcohol within your metalic esophagus, I swear it!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 05:55:23 pm by ShadowDragon8685 »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: November 06, 2010, 05:52:35 pm »

Dear Haulers,
While it is important to clear out the stone from the mined-out portion of the waterways, it is not a priority, as we haven't even started the built portion of it and only recently struck the marble intended for it. Now, will someone take the rotting dog out of the danger room? Because we don't condone the (unintentional) use of biological warfare, least of all on our own military, we cannot use it until it is cleaned. That, and every time his former owner passes the door to the training area, he breaks out in tears and falls into the fetal position. While this is good sparring practice, kicking a crying, defenseless opponent while he's on the ground, as any proper dwarven military should be learn to do, it's still a bit embarassing.

Signed,
Overseer
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: November 06, 2010, 06:50:44 pm »

Dear Urist McMilitiaCommanderSpeardwarf,

just because you inherited a named steel spear doesn't mean you should chase the enemy. Sure, the troll are dispersed and very afraid of you. The goblins, however, aren't, and have bows with pointy arrows. And the troll you're chasing is running right in their direction. Will you stop...
... oh, well. I guess you stopped for good.
Huh. Thanks, I guess, I won't have to punish you.

Love,

your overseer

P.S.: hey, at least you got a title before you turned into a porcupine! Let's pretend "The Steamed Paints" had a deeper meaning for your sake and mine.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Train Poacher

• Bay Watcher
  • It menaces with spikes of bad decisions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: November 06, 2010, 11:48:47 pm »

Dear Urist McMarksdumb,

When I ordered your crossbow squad into that tower, I did so with the hope that you would be safe to rain bolts on the siege below without fear of having your top half removed. However, you didn't obey the order, and instead chose to violate what little common sense dwarves are known for, and ran straight into a platoon of goblin swordsmen. I know that a dwarf is eager to die for glory (and you do so in spectacular fashion), but when your death upsets everyone in the fortress and causes a tantrum spiral, I'm left wondering why I ever drafted you out of peasant-hood in the first place. For this insubordination, your body will not receive a proper burial. The same goes for your legs, your right arm, and your ear. All of you will be moved to the refuse pile to await the atom smasher.

-I hate you
Overseer

PS: Your cats will be turned into soap.

iEpinephrine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: November 07, 2010, 02:21:32 am »

Urist McSoldier

PICK UP YOUR GODDAMNED MASTERWORK ARMOUR FROM JUST OUTSIDE THE FRONT GATE ALREADY!!  There are swarms of kobold thieves about and I'm not making you another set if you lose anything!

Also, anyone who isn't Urist McSoldier, please stop stepping out the front door, saying "Ah! Ice Wolves!" and then bolting off into the wilderness.  My archers are tired of rescuing you!  Srsly, there's a trade caravan coming in, you know at least a dozen goblins will be arriving.

That is all.
"This button makes your dwarves less retarded"

iEpinephrine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: November 07, 2010, 02:41:28 am »

Urist McSoldier et al.

Told you.

You miscreant little f***s.

I hope you enjoy being dead.

"This button makes your dwarves less retarded"

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: November 07, 2010, 03:00:04 am »

Dear Hamlet Berineth Engraving Guild of 502,

It disturbed me to discover recently, the only a few of you actually have any amount of Engraving experience whatsoever. I would like to ask you how exactly this is possible, since you just smoothed and engraved the entire first level of the Grand Hall. Your incompetence is overwhelming. Also, your speed is very unsatisfactory. When I order the Grand Hall smoothed, I want it done quickly, not two seasons later! At this current rate, the grand hall will be completed in no less than four years! Not to mention the Grand Dining rooms, the Bedding chambers, and the Great Chasm! At this rate, the Mountain Home should be completed no earlier than The summer of 542! As Engravers, your part is pivotal to this effort! I suggest you speed up before I assign you to Volcano Exploration!

Sincerely, Management

---------

Dear Hamlet Berineth Mining Guild of 502,

I know you have nothing to do while the Engraving committee is Working, but please, could you all cut back on the Booze and Prepared cat lungs? We won't last until the next caravan if you continue consuming food at this rate! Furthermore, as you are un-employed, I hereby assign you to the Mason's Guild until Engraving is complete. Thank you.

Sincerely, Management

----

Hamlet Berineth Fishing Guild of 502,

This is a very short note. Could you please stop coming to my office complaining about the ponds being dry? There is nothing I can do about it.
Also, could you try to catch more fish during the spring? Half of the fort depends on that fish for the whole year!

Sincerely, Management

----

Dear Urist McDogOwner

I am very sorry for the loss of your dog during the recent leopard attacks. But would you kindly remove his rotting corpse from the hallways? Thank you.

Sincerely, Management
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

Frosty

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: November 07, 2010, 04:12:10 am »

Dear citizens of Arcsilver

I heard you are all quite fond of the new waterfall. Good for you. Sadly its my duty to tell you the nice waterfall you all keep mentioning is actually our central stairwell. Hopefully you like view enough not to miss your quarters, meeting hall or food stockpiles. Feel free to take few days off to enjoy it throughly. There is no hurry because your workshops are also submerged

Love,
The one who sees in dark

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: November 07, 2010, 09:05:59 am »

Dear Urist McMiner and Urist McExpeditionLeader:
I know you are thirsty. Maybe when one of you channeled that tile, you should have left a ramp? And maybe the other one shouldn't have followed? And maybe you should dpend your time digging towards the booze, not on a side tunnel? The labyrinth is complicated, so you'd waste enough time with that.
Sincerely,
GreatWyrm McGold, Telepathic Fortress Overseer
P.S. To McExpeditionLeader: How did you get to your post like this?

EDIT: Dear Urist McOtherminer:
You're kidding, right? Dig yourself out. Help the other two morons.
EDIT2: Dear Urist McMiner and Urist McExpiditionLeader:
Urist McOtherMiner has found some stairs up! Now go join him before you die of thirst!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 10:09:07 am by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 504