Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Defending soldier thirst?  (Read 639 times)

silvrsable

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Defending soldier thirst?
« on: August 08, 2010, 01:08:02 am »

So I'm trying to figure out the military system and I just assigned some dwarves to defend/guard a burrow. They have been guarding it, but they're thirsty (blue arrow and all) and I don't see them making any move to get a drink. Should I be concerned? Will defending dwarves actually stop what they're doing and get a drink/take care of their needs? thanks.

Thadius

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:homemade coffee]
    • View Profile
Re: Defending soldier thirst?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 01:12:01 am »

They will die of hunger/thirst/sleep deprivation induced hallucinations if you stationed them to be on duty forever.

Urist McHungry: Boss, can't we take a break and go to the dining room?
Urist McBoozedeprived: Yeah, I need a good drink.
Urist McDelusional: GET BACK YE FANGED HORRORS!
Urist McStoic: Nay, we'll stay on guard fer all our lives AND YOU'LL LIKE IT YOU PANSIES!

Tip: Read up on the wiki!  It may have the answers you seek to navigating the military menu mess.
If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves from their cages, that's still somehow your fault.

silvrsable

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 01:21:49 am »

Thanks so much for the reply. How do I only station them temporarily though? I've been through the wikis and it seems like you can only station them for an entire month, by which time they'd probably be.... superthirsty.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 01:25:58 am by silvrsable »

Thadius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 01:29:39 am »

No they can last for about a month without food or water.  Just make sure you don't ask them to wait LONGER than that, though.  Otherwise you will get little RED arrows, and you know what happens after that...
If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves from their cages, that's still somehow your fault.

Geti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 01:36:18 am »

station them temporarily but changing their schedule (m,s) to have no order for some months.
that or give them access to a well or booze stockpile nearby.

silvrsable

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 01:39:38 am »

No they can last for about a month without food or water.  Just make sure you don't ask them to wait LONGER than that, though.  Otherwise you will get little RED arrows, and you know what happens after that...

Don't I ever. Oh the bloodshed....

Thanks a ton Thadius!

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 01:40:13 am »

Or set the number of active members of the squad to be a couple lower than the number of squad members, then a few will always rotate off to eat/drink/loaf.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Thadius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 01:53:09 am »

Hey now that you've gotten past one obstacle, you'll get drawn deeper and deeper into the eldritch thing that is Dwarf Fort.  Soon you too will grow a beard, eat plump helmets, and drink dwarven brews.

One of us, one of us, one of us...

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 02:30:50 am »

So I'm trying to figure out the military system and I just assigned some dwarves to defend/guard a burrow. They have been guarding it, but they're thirsty (blue arrow and all) and I don't see them making any move to get a drink. Should I be concerned? Will defending dwarves actually stop what they're doing and get a drink/take care of their needs? thanks.

make some flasks and backpacks.  Then they will eat and drink while on duty whenever they want.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 03:13:54 am »

I find making a squad of 10 dwarves but having only 5 of them on duty at any given time means things run very smoothly. 5 dwarves are on station at all times, with the other 5 eating/sleeping/boozing/training.