Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fish no longer produce bone?  (Read 587 times)

Kravick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fish no longer produce bone?
« on: August 07, 2010, 11:13:15 pm »

None of the fish my dwarves have been eating are leaving bones behind.  The DF wiki says they should be leaving bones behind when eaten.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
Re: Fish no longer produce bone?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 11:40:26 pm »

Nope, you're probably reading the wrong version of it. You can only retreive bone from Adv mode butchery.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 12:06:45 am »

The wiki article for fishing in v40d and the earlier version both stated that eating raw turtles left behind bone and shell. The wiki entry for the current version is an extremely brief two sentences. For what it's worth, no mention of turtle bones in either sentence.

Saposhiente

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENGINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 12:08:22 am »

You get the bones when you process the fish, not when you eat it. Also, not all fish give bones. Also Also the adv mode stuff deals with the larger fish that you slay and butcher, not the vermin fish you catch and process.
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
You misspelled 'hilarious'
Fun

Kravick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 12:45:59 am »

Ok all these replies made me even more confused.  I'm reading this article here.  http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Fish

From the article.

Most, if not all fish yield bones. Some, such as cave lobster and turtles yield shells too - all of which can be used by bone carvers to create a range of items from armor to arrows or even toys.

Article says this is information for the most recent version 31.12.

You get the bones when you process the fish, not when you eat it.

Process as in prepare in the kitchen or fishery?  I've already been doing the fishery thing and its not yielding bone if thats what you mean.

Nope, you're probably reading the wrong version of it. You can only retreive bone from Adv mode butchery.

Said it was for DF verson 31.12.  But if this is the case then I guess it was talking about adventure mode then?  So... what do people do now for large quantity of bolts?  Fish were how I always got my marksdwarves trained up.   :-\
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 12:53:51 am by Kravick »

Geti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 01:34:43 am »

Wood? Or copper/silver if I'm feeling rich. I usually run a 20 dwarf fort so I can sustain a "military" that way easily enough. Also bones if I'm in an area with a lot of fauna.