Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Torosaurus never existed!  (Read 2865 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Torosaurus never existed!
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2010, 03:11:37 am »

Jesus Christ what's that red one.
Amphicoelias fragillimus.  8)
Largest dinosaur thought to have existed.

Just read the article.

TBH, considering that all evidence of it's existence is conveniently disappeared, and no other fossils have been found, I find the suspicions of it being "Piltdown 2" to be at the very least understandable.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2010, 05:17:06 am »

Eh, no surprise. There's always something new for science to discover. Marine biology is probably not even as detailed as dinosaur biology is. I'm personally hoping that dinosaurs were really dragons.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2010, 05:19:40 am »

I'm not.

If they were, I'd be all depressed because the dragons all died out or evolved into birds.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2010, 05:35:47 am »

I'm not.

If they were, I'd be all depressed because the dragons all died out or evolved into birds.
They did not. They lost the evolutionary battle to the newly emerged(now also extinct) species of eques errantus.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2010, 06:43:38 am »

Well played, sir. Well played.
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2010, 11:47:26 pm »

This:

to this:

Evolution scores another one for the winning team.

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2010, 02:31:02 am »

Guys is it wrong that I've never heard of Torosaurus?
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2010, 04:44:52 am »

You were never a six-year old with dinosaur books! And that's very wrong.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2010, 06:20:16 am »

I've never heard of Torosaurus either. And I *was* a six-year old with dinosaur books.

Of course, that was long enough ago that the book had like ten dinosaurs, period.  ::)
I took my daughter to a natural history museum not too long ago and I didn't know half of the dinosaurs there. 

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2010, 06:29:53 am »

Man, really? I remember the 1988 dinosaur books were pretty comprehensive. They had Acrocanthosaurus, revised Spinosaurs, most of the Tyrannosaurid family, and so on. What they didn't have was the feathers.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2010, 07:18:06 am »

Man, really? I remember the 1988 dinosaur books were pretty comprehensive. They had Acrocanthosaurus, revised Spinosaurs, most of the Tyrannosaurid family, and so on. What they didn't have was the feathers.

Try 1981 for me. I think I still have those Scholastic books somewhere. I know they didn't have Acrocanthosaurus (we have a large Acrocanthosaurus model at the local museum, and I had never heard of it as an adult until we visited). They had the old basics (Tyrannosaurus, Brontosaurus, Diplodocus, Stegosaurus, Triceratops, Hadrosaurus, Archaeopteryx). I think Allosaurus was a fairly "new" dinosaur, as was Troodon, Deinonychus, and Apatosaurus. I don't think they even had velociraptors.  :'(

I'm sure my children will give me a thorough update on the frontiers of paleontological knowledge over the next few years.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2010, 07:21:33 am »

No doubt they'll consider past generations silly for such a notion as "featherless velociraptors".

1981? That means... probably then the prevailing theory regarding sauropods in your books was that they were primarily aquatic? I'm not sure when that theory was stricken from the books for good.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2010, 07:29:34 am »

No doubt they'll consider past generations silly for such a notion as "featherless velociraptors".

1981? That means... probably then the prevailing theory regarding sauropods in your books was that they were primarily aquatic? I'm not sure when that theory was stricken from the books for good.

I think the aquatic theory was mainly for large quadrupeds like Apatosaurus by that point. Depictions of therapods were usually on open plains, IIRC. And yeah, the only thing that had feathers in that book was Archaeopteryx. And even those, they were like "Fossils seem to show that it MIGHT have had feathers".

Personally, I totally buy the Velociraptor --> Chicken theory. Most chickens are still just as vicious, and seem to have mostly reptile-like instincts. Plus, it just feels more badass to think "I'm eating fried mini-raptor".

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2010, 07:32:12 am »

I know, man. Have you seen what the vicious little bastards do to prey animals? It's crazy. They'll eat anything smaller than them - rats, lizards, cockroaches - definitely still dinosaurs.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2010, 07:43:31 am »

I once watched a flock of chickens completely shred a live mouse in their pen. That was probably when I lost all sympathy for chickenkind. Knowing that it's basically only the size differential that keeps them from doing the same to us.

Pages: 1 [2] 3