Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: a wee bit of entomology  (Read 1091 times)

superfuzz3519

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
a wee bit of entomology
« on: August 07, 2010, 12:00:21 am »

hi all i hate to dilly daly so lets get started
first of all the suggestion part.
the langauge of the dawarfs should be seperated by class, ie nobles and commoners
The first one is Formal Dwarf.
Formal dwarf is spoken by nobles, at a formal party, trading, in court, and anything noble related.
It is harder dwarf to learn so it is not spoken between the commmon people and is only spoken by nobles.
Common Dwarf is easier to learn cuz its simple. it is spoken buy people in a non-noblity seat.
the nobles refuse to speek it cuz its wat seperates them :)
fill free to add or change.
NOW PART II
I look at my options for naming my fortress/dwarves; impressive (100+ pages) but it could use more
therefore i now want to suggest/ force a over haul of the dwarven langauge system.
even if i have to read a dictonaty word for word.
also i would like to know how the hell the creators came up with the dwarven words!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: a wee bit of entomology
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 12:11:27 am »

the langauge of the dawarfs should be seperated by class, ie nobles and commoners

It isn't always entirely different languages it is often single words.

For example the words "Beef" and "Pork" came from this distinction... though eventually it stuck for everyone.

superfuzz3519

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 12:15:31 am »

For example the words "Beef" and "Pork" came from this distinction... though eventually it stuck for everyone.
true but there is no pork in DF :)

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 12:15:57 am »

Entomology is the study of insects.   Just a little etymology for ya'.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 09:25:57 am »

Dear Forum,

The leaves are starting to turn, and I was thinking of you. 

People seriously need to stop putting greetings and nonsensical conversational bits at the start of their posts.  This, especially combined with the horrendous grammar  (much less on a topic about dwarven grammar) immediately convince me that anything you have to say are completely worthless, and that it isn't worth the pain of the spelling errors to even read what you write.  These aren't old-fashioned mailed greeting cards, we don't need formal greetings or signatures.

The weather is here, I wish you were beatiful.

Love,
NW_Kohaku
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 09:51:53 am »

This has the most horrible lack of spelling possible,please for the love of Armok use a SPELLCHECKER.Sorry about that rant but please at least make your writing readable.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 10:00:14 am by Dwarf mc dwarf »

Kilo24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: a wee bit of *etymology*
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 01:25:01 pm »

This has the most horrible lack of spelling possible,please for the love of Armok use a SPELLCHECKER.Sorry about that rant but please at least make your writing readable.
That wouldn't fix the egregious error in the title.

About how he came up with the language: I seem to recall Toady mentioning generating the words randomly for each language then manually combing through to make sure that naughty words were not generated.  If you look around on the forums, some other people have come up with similar scripts to generate languages IIRC.

And here I was hoping for some actual entomology... now it's going to bug me all day.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 01:27:43 pm »

I have to say though... You REALLY wouldn't notice the differences in language once you know the language.

VoidPointer

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Computerdwarf
    • View Profile
Re: a wee bit of *etymology*
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 01:45:30 pm »

And here I was hoping for some actual entomology... now it's going to bug me all day.

I could try and figure out how blood gnats evolved the ability to rot food through ☼steel barrel☼s, if you'd like.
01011001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110010 01100100 00101110
01001001 00100000 01110011 01100101 01100101 00100000 01110111 01101000 01100001 01110100 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01100100 01101001 01100100 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 01110010 01100101 00101110

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
Re: a wee bit of etymology
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 09:06:40 pm »

Well, what you describe only happens when the nobility is a genuinely different people from the commoners.

The difference between a language spoken by a people and a subgroup there-of(like nobles) is usually that the subgroup uses different words, but not a whole language all-together. In a society like western society today where people are able to become whatever class they want as long as they work for it, you mostly notice this in the use of 'fancy' words.

But a completely different language would be like the Jews with their Yiddish. They were a completely different people, completely different culture and religion and on top of that, they were gettho'd(is that a word?).

Then there's things like, the invasion of Great Britain by the French, they took control, and happily kept speaking their own language, which is why modern English contains so many words of French origin.

And then you'd actually get to proper etymology.
Toady would have to write a system that would first create some base-languages, then when those entities spread out, the language spreads out. When isolation happens, the local language starts modifying itself(idealy based on what kind of things are important to the community, a sheparding people use different words then a seafaring people). When one entity conquers the other, the conquered might not speak that language straight away(unless that happens to be some mandate) but the vocabulary of one language may bleed into the other. This would also happen in cities where people are constantly confronted with foreigners, like a harbour or a capital.

Of course, in the end you have to ask yourself: What would this mean for the gameplay? That every three villages you visit have a different dialect your adventurer would have to get used to? A separate skill for every formal language in a world? Or just ignore it in it's entirety? (Or maybe that you don't have to pay attention to the languages for conversation purposes, but perhaps having to do so to figure out writings you'd find on tombs and old books)
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!