Poll

Ignore this poll.

No
- 73 (58.9%)
Sure
- 51 (41.1%)

Total Members Voted: 124

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16

Author Topic: Murdercloisters: Where A Year May Well Be A Lifetime (Succession)  (Read 24714 times)

cappstv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Murdercloisters the Haunted Mirkwood Fortress (Succession)
« Reply #75 on: September 06, 2010, 11:54:17 pm »

The Journal of Cappstv
6th Hematite,
It appears all the stupid dead chickens are dead again. This makes me somewhat happy.

9th Hematite,
This place needs some culture. I'm tired of staring at ugly walls. Hopefully this engraving project will make things more interesting around here.

Seconds Later
Everybody was screaming and raving about this first engraving.
It was a picture of a dwarf drowning. I don't consider that a masterpiece.

15 Malachite,
It appears that Rakust Nishnin has gone insane.

12th Galena,
A human caravan has arrived. Yippie, I'm so happy.

24th Galena,
Our engravers are making masterpieces every other engraving. Its kinda getting annoying now when the low lives come screaming into my room informing me of the next great masterpiece.

PS:
Sorry for the delay. I will try to get finish tuesday.
The French were adept of the "Losing is Fun" philosophy long before Dwarf Fortress.

Kregoth

• Bay Watcher
  • I had an army of cats once. guess what happened?
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 07, 2010, 12:20:33 am »

I'll take a turn :) Seems like fun
Your not playing Dwarf Fortress right if you don't see a message saying a Kitten (tame) had died in some horrible manner over and over again.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 07, 2010, 05:23:01 pm »

You've been queued, Kregoth.

Rakust went insane because he was trying figure a way to surpass the brilliance of Releasedunite the Hill of Danger and his mind crumbled under the weight of impossibility.

cappstv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 08, 2010, 12:02:28 am »

The Journal of Cappstv

19th Limestone,
The mayor went crazy and created a mudstone cabinet with the image of Releasedunite the Hill of Danger on it.

8th Sandstone,
Some person gave birth to a boy. Oh yay, another annoying pest.

26th Sandstone,
This job is boring me to death. I wrote some poetry today, that just shows how bored I am. God, I hate my life. I wish a donkey would just give me a quick kick to the neck and make it all go away.

8th Timber,
Another boy. Stupid dirty little brats.

14th Timber,
Goblins, huh. This should be interesting.

PS
Ok I am going to stop there. I thought this was going to be the last update, but I was wrong. The next update will be more image heavy, and will inculde the best of the engravings from Murdercloisters.
The French were adept of the "Losing is Fun" philosophy long before Dwarf Fortress.

cappstv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 09, 2010, 02:57:58 am »

Cappstv and the Attack of the Goblins
War and murdercloister was always just a shout away.
Ok that joke was very lame. Anyway lets see how this goes.

As you can see the goblins are going to be right on top of the fortress pretty soon.

There are only 6 goblins, so this should be a piece of cake.

Ustuth Lorbamlimul rushes towards the goblins with such fury in her eyes. The goblin bow man fires at Ustuth but misses by an inch. Actually I lied, it hit her pancreas. Ouch. And now Ustuth is retreating. But no worries, Kogan and her baby Kib are rushing to the scene with Kol Fesliblahblah trailing right behind.

Well it appears Kogan has been hit, several times.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
But the Kol guy has been weaving back and forth and dodging all sorts of flying stuff. In fact he just enter a martial trance.
After killing 3 goblins (and getting injury on the way.)
It appears the goblins are retreating. Yay!
But wait what is this?

A thief and 2 baby snatchers? Oh and the caravan has arrived.

The Journal of Cappstv
19th Timber,
What a lame fight, none of the stupid dwarfs died. Oh well. Another trade caravan has arrived.

22nd Timber,
I am happy. I just realize that the last overseer just randomly gave me this job, so why can't i do that to the same person come spring? Sure they will probably run this place into the ground, but I will not have to do this boring work! I am so happy that I think I am going to sketch some of the engravings.

24th Timber,
Another goblin ambush! CURSE THEM! After killing a mason they ran off.
At least they killed a mason.

1st Moonstone,
Winter, one month away till I find someone to replace me. Why not do it now you ask? I have to at least look like I tired. Anyway it seems mother nature is against my side. To start this month they sent us a winter storm.

1st Granite,
What a boring winter. Cryediil or whatever her name was died, so that was awesome. Oh and some chick and her baby, I guess she watch as it slowly bled to death. Goblin ambushes are fun. I am so happy that I get to give away my job now! Yippie!

Too bad i still have to live in this hell hole.

PS:
Heres the save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3092
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 12:26:09 am by cappstv »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 10, 2010, 11:53:11 am »

Huh.  Well I'll be damned, looks like I managed to get back to my gaming machine just in time for my turn.

And also just in time to get sick for some bizarre reason.  This is gonna be a long day...

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 10, 2010, 12:25:12 pm »

The turn list is updated.  Welcome back Kagus, good luck, and may you feel better soon.

Glacial

• Bay Watcher
  • d~~
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 10, 2010, 12:29:46 pm »

Sign me up for a turn, please!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 11, 2010, 04:15:50 pm »

The Trials of Toolgod: Episode One
Uff.  This place is a murderpit, just like I knew it would be.  The first few years here have been so hectic that I've been kept on my feet until I collapse from exhaustion, so exploring hasn't really been a top priority.  Hell, even that greasy little hatfeather of an expedition leader managed to get himself mangled in short order.

But things have quieted down a bit since then, so now I'm just working at whatever small jobs will get me what I need to make the haul back to civilization.  For whatever reason, these trogs don't seem to be able to tell the difference between a bar of steel and a stalk of fungiwood, so I've been delegated to carpenter's duties for the time being.  I can almost hear the metal calling to me, yearning for my touch...

Such is to be expected of situations like this, I suppose.  Getting thumped into some gods-forsaken hellhole with a pile of hooligans and reanimated poultry is not exactly what I would call a great chance to exercise one's love for shaping the beauty of metal.

Now that things have finally cooled down a bit and I've got some spare time, I may as well take a little stroll around to see the exact extent of this dungheap's smelliness.

First impressions:  We really hate foxes.

Moving down from the main "gate" we find muck, more muck, some muck with plants in it, muck that's had some stones stuck in it for good measure, even more muck, and then the fortress proper. 

Aaaagaaagagaaaag...!

As usual, the main hall is covered top to bottom in wild, vibrant, and perspective-distorting graffiti.  Most dwarves who enjoy their sanity rush into the crowded dining hall, where they can climb on top of the chairs and tables and huddle together so that they don't have to look at the vivid displays on the floor beneath them.

Fortunately the scoundrels, being dwarves, were unable to reach up to doodle on the ceiling.

Due to the bizarre etchings, carvings and paint splatters that make up the spontaneous and absolutely essential artistic displays, the main hall is largely impossible to navigate (this is only made worse by the confusing, haphazard sprawl of the fort's "design").  Everywhere dwarves, donkeys, goats and small kittens scamper about, repeatedly smacking into walls and fall down holes due to the chaotic effect the aesthetics have on the senses.  Even the occasional bat or other deep-earth creature that wanders into the hall winds up braining itself on something or other due to the way sound bounces off of the myriad bumps and grooves scratched into the stone as more permanent displays (although, interestingly enough, the chicken population seems largely unhampered by this.  It would appear that they're simply too stupid to be fooled).

The main hall includes a scavenge pit off to one side, where dwarves put the various bits, pieces and leavings of creatures in the hopes that one day they will be of some use.  It was here I found one of the only surviving reminder of Siga's mighty rampage.

Apparently, some brilliant dwarf decided it would be prudent to gather some of the hideous fiend's menses.  I am appalled, but not overly surprised.

Going deeper into the madness, we find a small tunnel whose entrance is marked by a number of corpses unceremoniously dumped onto the footpath.  Following this long and twisty path we eventually find ourselves in the magma chamber, where my darling forges and smelters are languishing in disuse. 

And, so far as my legs have thus carried me, that's all there is.  That's all we've got.  We're one patch of mud and a thousand schizophrenic drawings between the rock beneath and the hard place above.  The currently supported leader, Atis Masosmorul, is in fact a homeless beggar who was until recently wandering the manic streets.

What's worse is that, should I intend to practice my true calling any time soon, I'll have to push this mess around until it starts fixing itself.

Uff.

--
Note:  The raws have yet again been tweaked to make use of a graphics pack.  Can this be fixed by shoving vanilla DF's raws on top of it, or do I need to grab the mod that's being used and put those files in as well?

And honestly...  Why do people insist on engraving every single tile of stone in a fortress?  Blaaargh!

charred_gp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 11, 2010, 06:07:26 pm »

Kagus, you can set engravings to be obscured in the d_init file, which makes all engravings just look like special walls/floors, instead of their engraved image.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 11, 2010, 06:40:42 pm »

XD.  Sheer hilarity.

You can copy/paste the vanilla files to fix the graphics.  Perhaps a couple new floors are in order?

cappstv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 11, 2010, 10:40:55 pm »

And honestly...  Why do people insist on engraving every single tile of stone in a fortress?  Blaaargh!
I like culture.
Also, before I saved i notice that the evil chickens were back. Are they being a nuisance still?

Also, if it would be possible, could I have another turn way off into the future?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 10:42:52 pm by cappstv »

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 12, 2010, 12:01:26 am »

Skeletal..... Rabbits?.....
"Look at the Bones!"

Nice game going on here. I may join in some day later, when It's a little more, ehhh, stable.
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 13, 2010, 06:29:27 pm »

Also, before I saved i notice that the evil chickens were back. Are they being a nuisance still?

Chickens?  What chickens?  I see no chickens here!  Well, aside from the eight hundred or so clogging up the death list.  The only chicken-like beasts on the map are the domestic pair of hens that are wandering around the fort.

Now, I say pair of hens, because the one rooster apparently is a transsexual and prefers being referred to as a chicken.

We've also got a couple red turkeys, a brown goose, and a blue duck.

No, the only evil beasts we have are a magma man in, well, in the magma, and three skeletal...  Meese?  Mooses?  Mose?  Moosi?  Well, they're skeletal at any rate, and they're all angry males (insofar as a lifeless abomination against nature can be angry.  Or male, for that matter).  Luckily, they're out there and not in here.  The magma man also appears to be completely disinterested in our dealings, perfectly content to just swim about lazily in the magmatic flows.

A note about our turkeys...  We have one fully grown...  "Turkock?"  ...whatever it is you call the males, and one little female turkey chick.  This little chick was apparently savaged by a <something>, and lost the use of her right leg.  In fact, she lost most things associated with her right leg, and so is currently punting herself across the floor with one functioning leg like a kind of grotesque featherduster.

I shall call her...   Wobbles.

I'll have to apologize for my slow speed in getting to this.  Between a recent fascination with HellMOO and an even more recent fascination with having a fever and carrying around a roll of paper with me that I might stem any sudden torrential nosepours, it's been slow work.  I'll see if I can get something more akin to an update today, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 14, 2010, 02:18:10 pm »

The Trials of Toolgod: Chapter Two

Urban renewal...  Just when I start to think there'll be a little peace and quiet, I have to go and open my trap to the mayor.  Now the whole damn fort is being slowly rushed to do something about the current state of affairs.  Unfortunately, "Do something!" is a little vague, so most people are pretty much just sitting around doing what they always do.  They're just making an attempt to look busier while they're doing it.

Well, it can't be said that nobody's making an effort...

The council has also seen fit to order up some more tunneling projects.  I've made a request for more ore to be obtained for the smelters, and it's been taken along in stride with the plans for a new garbage disposal that isn't located in the main thoroughfare and some additional workshop space.

Apparently, the recent chaos has thrown the fort's chronicler, Charr, into a fit of creative inspiration.  To pursue the goals of his insistent muse, he has claimed a masonry shop and gathered together some silver nuggets and a handful of semiprecious gems.  He's currently standing in there and shouting about how he needs bodyparts and tanned hides.

I don't know what he's making, but I don't think anyone has a copy of "Big Breasts Beach Babes" that he could borrow...

For the moment, life in the fort is pretty much the same as usual.  Cramped, confusing, and covered in muck.  One of the guards informed me that the overland has thawed a bit and that the greenery of spring is sprouting forth.

I was about to tell the cheeky bastard that it's been green all year down here, but stopped myself when I realized that, really, slime molds probably don't count.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16