Poll

Ignore this poll.

No
- 73 (58.9%)
Sure
- 51 (41.1%)

Total Members Voted: 124

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16

Author Topic: Murdercloisters: Where A Year May Well Be A Lifetime (Succession)  (Read 24718 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Murdercloisters the Haunted Mirkwood Fortress (Succession)
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2010, 12:46:59 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Nothin' wrong with being fearful of that...  Especially if it happens to be undead.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2010, 02:17:35 am »

Artifact Window 33% percent complete.

Skabbits are just a nuisance.  It's antlers you need to watch out for.

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2010, 02:44:39 pm »

Chronicles of Robocorn Arbanudib

Autumn has come to Murdercloisters. They didn't call it that when I got the notice to come here, they called it Rhymetree or something and said it was in the middle of a peaceful glade with lots of lowhanging fruit and diamonds as big as your head. It didn't take long for me to discover that this was an egregious lie. The forest is haunted by stinky dead animals and until I carved Relesedunite The Hill of Danger from a huge chunk of star sapphire there were no cut gems in the entire fortress.

And you know what else, Charred GP's pointy nose makes her look like a goblin. And if she doesn't like reading that in the log she can just fire me from my cushy Chronicling job that I love with all my heart.

Murdercloisters Log Sandstone 19, 866
Today a well loved and much admired Gem cutting dwarf was reprimanded for insubordinance in his unpaid slave position of record keeper, dispite being the creator of the universally beloved gem Releasedunite the Hill of Danger. Nobody had the courage to stand up for the unnamed renegade as the long nosed, beady eyed mayor castigated him in front of the whole lunch rush and threatened to destroy every gem in Murdercloisters, including  the universally beloved Releasedunite the Hill of Danger if he did not comply with her vapid and insolent whims.
         In other news, the insipid mayor has continued with her plan to train archers to defend Murdercloisters from atop our castle walls.

What castle walls? you may find yourself asking, which would be strange because you are infact reading this from the future and an absence of castle walls would be definitive proof that one of the mayor's glorious plans did nt come into fruition, and as we all know, that cannot be.

Murdercloisters Log Sandstone 22, 866
Sarcasm to be declared criminal in writing form, this piece of legislation was sent from the desk of Charred GP this morning to be ratified by the king later this decade. Because whatever he's doing right now, is no doubt of equal or greater importance than the legalization of this piece of legislation.

Murdercloisters Log Sandstone 28, 866
Miner Geshud Becorlikot throws a party today at a jet table.
"It wath [sic] wer [sic] I [sic] wath [sic] alreddeh [sic] having lunsh [sic]"
 say's local lisped animal caretaker Melbil Pagedlightning

Murdercloisters Log Timber 10, 866
In a largely futile attempt to make any gem cutters who did not make Releasedunite the Hill of Danger appear less than wholly useless. The not pointy nosed or beady eyed mayor decided to have the lucky fellow smooth all the rough floors and walls in the main lobby. He is projected to be ecstatic and humbled by the honor to undertake this momentous task.

Murdercloisters Log Timber 11, 866
Today we celebrate the arrival of Siga. Some sort of misplaced beast. The behemoth is said to be made of mud and to be equipped with mud wings which I believe with certainty do not possess the ability to lift Siga's  heavy, air resistant body off of the ground. Welcome to Murdercloisters, Siga! we look forward to having many engravings done of your magnificent formlessness.

Murdercloisters Log Timber 17, 866
It was just today that all of the lakes surrounding Murdercloisters froze solid bringing with them a tide of our famous ice ants before the ants could be properly documented, the fort was declared under attack by a lone goblin with a dagger and a sack.

The attacker submitted to a brief interview with the dashing recordkeeper where he revealed his name was Stāstost Emaston, he was from Utes Snos, The Spiders of Rampaging, and that he came to Murdercloister with the intent of kidnapping Ezum bannerboarded, the lone minor amongst us. When asked why he seemed puzzled and fled into the night.

Murdercloisters Log Timber 18, 866
The caravan and liaison from the mountainhomes have come within spotting distance of Murdercloisters and are likely to attempt to trade with us.

Murdercloisters Log Moonstone 3, 866
The mountainhomes are in dire straits indeed, they are apparently in a rock mug shortage to a level at which they will pay exorbitant prices in order to obtain them. The not-at-all-haglike mayor has graciously decided to ramp up rock mug production to help with this most grievous tragedy.

to be continued in winter...

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2010, 03:32:42 pm »

Murdercloisters Log Moonstone 5, 866
A rousing trade from our trader Mosus Ostarcatten, who had the honor of trading a few gems for a few barrels because we've produced so few goods. The mayor is considering solving this problem with a series of modular workshops. It can be said that few praise her on her originality.

Murdercloisters Log Opal 19, 866
A moose is loose in Murdercloisters, a skeletal moose to be exact, the whole moose business is poorly recieved by many of the workers who spent time outside so the mayor's crack team of crossbow wielders is set to attack the beast and hold back it's progression. Our soldiers of course, dispatched the beast in seconds, it being a skeleton after all, and we were all left wondering why we even bother with these silly things.

Murdercloisters Log Obsidian 4, 866
Times have been quiet in Murdercloisters, since the moose invasion little has happened. It is the opinion of a very fine gem cutter that the cause of this quietness is the enormous castle walls that have been erected around our main gate. Though not mounted with snipers nests or crenellations, they seem to do an excellent job of keeping things of interest on the outside of their iron doors.

Murdercloisters Log Obsidian 8, 866

A cook has been taken by some muse and is bragging about what a great idea for a project she has. Extensive studies show that this project will pale in comparison to Releasedunite The Hill of Danger. Releasedunite the Hill of Danger is well renowned to be "the best".

Murdercloisters Log Obsidian 14, 866

Perhaps hearing the glorious name of Releasedunite the Hill of Danger, a kobold thief arrived at our door. This particular thief was unable to be interviewed as it was quickly bludgeoned to death by the Geared skins while they were defending the castle from skeletal chickens.

Later today, The cook Adil finally started the construction of her masterpiece. She was reluctant to reveal the components, but careful studies of the stocks reveal that most of the materials are rabbit bone and hippo leather. No dwarves were available for comment.

Murdercloisters Log Obsidian 19, 866

During a week long binge of craftswork that was considerably dull, Adil emerged from her workshop to present Avan Unol, The Lyric of Souls, a rabbit bone helmet, a technical marvel in it's construction but of tacky design and comparably worse than Releasedunite the Hill of Danger, It's a shame she will never get to try again, I guess some dwarves have it and some dwarves don't.

Murdercloisters Log Granite 1, 867
Spring has sprung in Murdercloisters, Though the ice remains hardened in the pools and the ice ants fruitlessly continue to chip away at it until it thaws, just the feeling of spring is refreshing. A notable gem cutter has announced his extended vacation from ever writing another log for that hag Charred GP and says "she can go sit in a crucible for all I care"

sorry for taking a week, I think that wraps up the year that I got started with. I'd like to leave it at Granite 1 because it restores the balance. It was kind of nice to play a file that ran at 72 fps when I'm used to around 15 from Battlefailed and stuff.

save is here

have fun, enjoy the castle.

cappstv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2010, 03:40:40 pm »

Releasedunite the Hill of Danger is a holy object! All shall love Releasedunite the Hill of Danger!
The French were adept of the "Losing is Fun" philosophy long before Dwarf Fortress.

nonobots

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2010, 03:58:04 pm »

Nice promising start.

What mod is used for the additional fauna? It looks fun I'd use it.

Thanks.
Playing DF on a Mac.

charred_gp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2010, 04:36:03 pm »

Excellent, I shall begin my part immediately.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2010, 06:28:21 pm »

Great turn Robocorn, glad to have you with us.  Your reign has seen our first thieves, a castle, a rabbit-eared helmet and of course Releasedunite the Hill of Danger which deserves its own proper shrine.

The mod is Flora and Fauna.  I was kind of hoping we'd stumble across werewolves and harpies but a mud monster and ghoulish woodland critters are just as lucky.

Have fun charred_gp, and good luck to you.

charred_gp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2010, 06:56:18 pm »

Spring
Ah, finally it is the job of the true leader of Murdercloisters to record the goings-on of this great fort. Leaving off from where that ungrateful fool of a jewel cutter. As spring entered its first few days, the ice thankfully thawed, and the child of Atir the farmer, and Sakzul the Military Commander was born. I have dug out a refuse pile for the butcher, and ordered all stray animals to be butchered. Bad enough dealing with the damn pets, without those fucking strays running about. I've also asked for some of the rougher areas of the fort to be smoothed out. I have also sent some miners to find more iron ores.

Some migrants arrived, a few days later. 21 of the stupid bastards. Great.

After that, I decided to test our the defensive bridges, and while the main and east bridges raised fine, I noticed the west bridge was instead made to retract. I fixed that and made sure to let the dwarves know what such a grievous breach in our security could have done. Idiots, all around me.

With the migrants, I decided that we would need more beds, and designed a second floor to our dormitory.

Our craftsdwarf was taken by a mood and demanded plant cloth, so I added a second field to grow pig tails, and I plan on later using for something other than those damned plump helmets. I'm getting sick of eating those damn things all the time...

Some elves arrived, whining about trees as usual. I politely told them to jump into the nearest magma pipe.

At last! Our newest artifact is complete! Besmarbal

Summer
Days go by, and watching the squads kill skabbits has gotten boring, so I've decided to do a bit of experimentation with glasswork down near the forges. As a minor side note; I'm not sure if stealing from elves is a big party tradition where these dumbasses are from, but I see constant parties after elves have left as COUNTER PRODUCTIVE! BACK TO WORK, MORONS!

To be continued...

cappstv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2010, 07:27:22 pm »

This Besmarbal sounds lame compare to Releasedunite the Hill of Danger
The French were adept of the "Losing is Fun" philosophy long before Dwarf Fortress.

charred_gp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2010, 07:45:01 pm »

But all artifacts are mere specks of mud in comparison to Releasedunite the Hill of Danger

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2010, 04:41:21 am »

Besmarbal is more of a tribute to Releasedunite the Hill of Danger than an artefact in its own right.
A medium-sized bird with a distinctive fleshy wattle that hangs from the underside of the beak, and a fleshy protuberance that hangs from the top of its beak called a snood.

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2010, 05:38:19 am »

Besmarbal is more of a tribute to Releasedunite the Hill of Danger than an artefact in its own right.

True, the spoony fool who made Besmarbal knew it couldn't stand up so they engraved a picture of Releasedunite the Hill of Danger on it to make it seem better. Unfortunately, only so much majesty can rub off and Besmarbal remains an insignifigant bauble in comparison to Releasedunite the Hill of Danger.

See, Besmarbal's glow is already wearing off.

charred_gp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2010, 12:40:38 pm »

Part two!

The log of 'Charred GP' Lordok, Mason of Murdercloisters

So the military started complaining to me that their arms were tired. "Tired?" I asked "Yes, swinging around these crossbows all day, it's really hard after a while"
It turns out, some idiot forgot to make some damn quivers for the military. I built a leatherworker's shop, and had 5 made for them in seconds flat.

I also noticed our sorry excuse for a wise mayor making some bans, and set up a drowning chamber exquisite hall for him if he makes more idiotic demands deserves greater attention.

An ambush! And merchants! We managed to get them all in before sealing the goblins off. Good luck with the wildlife, greenskins!

We didn't trade the humans for much, just a bin full of rock mugs for some raw green glass and sand. Going to use that to make us some terrariums!

Autumn

Those damn goblins are still out there, shooting at chickens. Lucky bastards haven't seen what a skoose can do to their ranks. Yet...

Another artifact! Two in one year! Truly, my leadership has brought inspiration to all. Our newest legendary craftsdwarf has made Slickblameless, the Naughty Princess

Or not...How pitiful. Even Besmarbal was better than that piece of shit.

OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD HE'S HERE!!!! I DON'T KNOW HOW, BUT SIGA'S HERE AND HE'S KILLING EVERYONE!!!

The military killed him, thank armok, but I'm not sure how many people he injured. No casualties yet, thankfully.

The humans left, despite seeing all the goblins outside. They're dead now, but their guards took a few of the greenskins down. I figure once their archers all bite it, we can start shooting them down from our mighty walls.

Bembul has suffered an unfortunate accident today, after mandating the making of electrum items (which we cannot make). He was found burned to death in a hallway, which lead nowhere. How odd.

To be continued...

charred_gp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2010, 12:42:22 am »

AGH accidentally closed tab, so I'm going from memory here. Forgive the lack of content and pictures

Caravan arrived, traded our mugs for some booze, seeds and sand. In return, they wanted

Built a bridge to the south that needs linking. Fixed magma chamber.

Mayor went crazy, due to failed artifact. Died due to melancholy.

Got migrants. Lots of 'em

Final stats:

bridge still needs linking, I'm a miner now. Other than that, the save can be found:http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2949
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16