Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Chaotic surroundings.  (Read 2245 times)

Macalano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Chaotic surroundings.
« on: August 06, 2010, 06:47:59 am »

You know, zombie unicorns and fluffy rapelists.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
Re: Chaotic surroundings.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 06:49:50 am »

What... is a rapelist?

At any rate, Toady is indeed planning on scrapping the current, rather clunky [GOOD] and [EVIL] biome tags for something more natural.

what the hell firefox spellcheck says "biome" isn't a real word.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Macalano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 07:36:23 am »

"rapelist" is the only alternative to "wambler" i can think of.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 12:33:15 pm »

yhea Instead of a good/evil we could have creatures spawn based on how far they are off a regions good/evil rating. This would mean that a neutral area could have a few slightly good creatures. Trough I think a undead unicorn shouldn't happen often (but very rare is ok)
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 12:52:20 pm »

What... is a rapelist?

I'm.... not entirely sure I should do this, but.... well, throw a ".com" after that word, and, uh... well, see for yourself. NSFAnywhere, really.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 01:07:15 pm »

Googled.
It's fine as long as you don't click anything once the google search loads.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 01:11:17 pm »

I am confused as to where the actual suggestion is. Perhaps you should have thought this through a bit more and given us more of a concept them zombie unicorns and evil Fluffy Wamblers.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 09:10:15 pm »

Dunno, if this thread brings the term "fluffy rapelist"  into the forefront of peoples minds I dont think there needs to be any other point. 

I get this image of dwarves running into the fort covered in small bruises and then locking themselves in the hospital and using all the soap.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Macalano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 01:46:25 pm »

I am confused as to where the actual suggestion is. Perhaps you should have thought this through a bit more and given us more of a concept them zombie unicorns and evil Fluffy Wamblers.

I guess what I was trying to say was along the lines of what thijsler was saying. I wouldn't say the fluffy wamblers would be evil, since it would be a chaotic region. There could be a mix of rapelists and wamblers. I mean occasionally, the chaotic wamblers would act as Fluffy Wamblers, but they would have the potential to become fluffy rapelists given a certain set of triggers/moods, or have the "transformation" be altogether random.

Also, moods for creatures.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 02:54:13 pm »

"rapelist" is the only alternative to "wambler" i can think of.
...Really?

You might want to talk to someone.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 01:02:25 pm »

I guess what I was trying to say was along the lines of what thijsler was saying. I wouldn't say the fluffy wamblers would be evil, since it would be a chaotic region. There could be a mix of rapelists and wamblers. I mean occasionally, the chaotic wamblers would act as Fluffy Wamblers, but they would have the potential to become fluffy rapelists given a certain set of triggers/moods, or have the "transformation" be altogether random.

What I mean is that what exactly is the suggestion? Just alternate version of Fluffy Wamblers?

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 01:11:15 pm »

Alright, I'm officially getting this thread back on track. (After the rapelists thing....)

Anyway, I'm taking chaotic surroundings as an alternative to the current savage/good/evil scale. I'm thinking, savage yet neutral regions would be "chaotic", and this would have effects on the biome much like "haunted" would (or the like.) Chaotic regions would feature twisted incarnations of "good" creatures, as well as twists on "evil" ones.

Chaotic biomes would include Ents, which would look and "behave" (if you can call it that) exactly like trees for all intents and purposes, except for when a dwarf tries to cut it, or any nearby tree, down. When that happens, it attacks the dwarf. Gives Elves a reason for being so nice to trees. Isengard Fortress, anyone?

They would also feature warped versions of horses, which-

actually, wait. This post is rapidly devolving into a LoTR mod.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 01:14:00 pm »

GOOD/EVIL/BENIGN/SAVAGE/whatever else will eventually get thrown out, and will be replaced either by spheres or something similar to them. So this is basically already in.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 01:45:38 pm »

Besides the Chaotic surroundings the topic creator got examples of were really just "Evil" except using creatures normally for Good areas.

Which is once again a "Chaos = Evil" thing.

There is a Sphere of Chaos but personally by the time we see Spherical Lands I would like to see strongly Chaotic lands to be something closer to "Chaos" rather then "Alternate Evil" like Swimming Birds and Flying Fish. Where Cooked food falls from the trees and the hunters attack you with bear hugs.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2010, 05:27:09 pm »

We'll all end up getting the message

Urist McAdventurer cancels adventure: Too insane.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (
Pages: [1] 2