Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Obsidian refuses to show on the economic stone menu?  (Read 764 times)

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Obsidian refuses to show on the economic stone menu?
« on: August 06, 2010, 04:08:41 am »

Since starting my current fortress I have been unable to mark obsidian as usable for contructions, masonry and whatnot. Which is strange as I have not run into this before, read of this on the forums before or even found anything about it with a forum search.

Not to mention that every single inorganic but gems show up on there. Including microcline, iron, plaster and some weird modded materials that dont even shop up with a name. Why is obsidian the only thing missing?

After getting tired of the stuff being unuseable for anything but making wooden swords (yeah...) I opened up the raws and disabled any tags that distinguished obsidian from other rocks. Some cursing at editing the wrong raw folder later I found out it was the max_edge tag that bumped obsidian off the list.

I am using 31.12 now, I think I genned the world in 31.11.

Has anyone else ran into this/thrown it on the bug tracker?
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Xenoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Obsidian refuses to show on the economic stone menu?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 05:32:56 am »

Obsidian only shows up as a useable stone if it exists as a layer stone when you embark.  I take it you usually embark on volcanoes?

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 05:41:34 am »

I do tend to pick sites with obsidian in them, still strange how I didnt notice that. I guess this is known and added to the bugtracker then?
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 09:28:22 am »

could be the modded materials...

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 04:49:50 pm »

Happens in my fort as well, and I can't seem to get dwarves to make anything from obsidian.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 06:20:11 pm »

There's a workaround discussed on the Talk page of Obsidian on the DF wiki.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010_Talk:Obsidian

what happens is that obsidian is just not being listed in the "economic stone" menu. If it is a layer in your starting location, it will be allowed for construction (green), if it is not a layer, it won't be allowed (red). Since it is not listed, you cannot switch between these two states. To allow obsidian to be listed, you have to remove its "max edge" tag from the raws. You can add it back after switching, and the game will remember its "cannot use" status.
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 07:11:10 pm »

On that note, does anyone know how Obsidian weapons hold up against Iron, Bronze, Steel, Wood, etc. in terms of combat power? If it's not exceptionally good, I'll consider removing all those combat-use-related tags permanently until the bug is fixed.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 07:11:39 am »

With stone weapon making being bugged as it is I havnt realy found the oppertunity to test it at all.

caranha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 11:07:19 am »

Yeah, I have written the workaround in the wiki, and it is listed in the bugtracker. I guess that, as far as bug goes, this one is pretty minor. Just change the raws for a sec, enable the stone, and change the raws back.

Cheers!

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 04:25:50 pm »

stone-swords are always called wood 'oak' or 'pine' or whatnot.
As far as I know, in df2010.