Re: Paint
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2009, 11:59:26 pm »

Dwarven children these days...

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2009, 03:02:59 pm »

Three words: Microline based paint. Two more: A whole fortress. I like this idea...but would you be able to apply it to smoothed walls? smoothed stone shouldn't take paint TOO well depending if it's glossy smooth or not. Also, glasses-like obsidian-should not be able to take paint, but sedimentary or porous rock should be easily paintable. Just my two cents here.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2009, 03:19:47 pm »

Here is a thread I posted a long time ago with some thoughts on Paint & Dye and the creation of an all encompassing 'Pigment' system based on four material and Pigment classes.

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=28318.0
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2009, 04:10:40 pm »

Three words: Microline based paint. Two more: A whole fortress. I like this idea...but would you be able to apply it to smoothed walls? smoothed stone shouldn't take paint TOO well depending if it's glossy smooth or not. Also, glasses-like obsidian-should not be able to take paint, but sedimentary or porous rock should be easily paintable. Just my two cents here.
As a matter of fact, glass can be easily painted. Porous rock, on the other hand, is a bitch to either get the colour to stick (with fine holes) or to paint every bit of the surface (with big holes). Anyway, there could be a gradation in wall smoothing: just the normal smoothing, good enough as a base for plastering or carving, and polishing, making it shiny smooth (with sand probably).
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Redhades

• Bay Watcher
  • That boy needs therapy
    • View Profile
    • My Linkedin.com profile is all bout me
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2009, 07:18:59 pm »

Screw all these fancy ingredients. Just being able to paint with blood would be perfect.  ;D
I mean as long as such painting would not magically vanish every season.

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2009, 12:44:36 am »

There's a practical reason for paint:  to protect materials from the elements.

You paint metal bridges so they don't rust (as quickly).  You paint wood to seal it from moisture and pests.  You paint bricks to seal them from moisture.  The artistic application of painting came after the practical use, but people have come to (mostly) associate painting things as an artistic pursuit.

If corrosion of metals and materials winds up getting implemented, this could be a very solid application of paint.

Paint isn't really consistent with dwarven construction. Dwarves build out of stone (which lasts forever) and decorate by engraving. Humans might like it, though, and since it's made with mineral pigments, dwarves might make a nice profit supplying it to them.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2009, 12:47:15 am »

I see humans painting and dwarves carving and elves weaving. Although painting might actually give our nobles something (almost) useful to do.

chucks

• Bay Watcher
  • Have Cutlass -- Will Travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2009, 02:59:11 am »

Paint isn't really consistent with dwarven construction. Dwarves build out of stone (which lasts forever) and decorate by engraving. Humans might like it, though, and since it's made with mineral pigments, dwarves might make a nice profit supplying it to them.

I do tend to agree with you for a majority of dwarven consturctions.  Most building structures and workshops and whatnot being hewn straight out of the rock or build with blocks made from rock is most definitely the most dorfie style of construction.

However, there are some items that could take some form of a paint to them.  Barrels, buckets, beds, certain crafts.  Certain types of paint could be used to accent the lettering of a stone engraving.  Some metal objects could be painted to prevent corrosion and rust.  Even a similar system could be used for sealing porous stone areas to keep them from leaking.

Still, even if it isnt the most dorfie thing out there, I think you should be able to paint damn nearly anything.  Noose, meet player.  Player, meet noose.  Now, you two play together nicely.
Computer says 'No'.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2009, 03:27:22 am »

The fancy engravings on the parthenon were originally painted in bright colors. This appears to have been the case for most Egyptian stone-carving as well.

I kind of see mosaics as the more dwarfy thing here, but paint should be an option.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Quift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2009, 03:02:04 am »

I read the entire thread to see if noone had mentioned what Fossaman names in the last post...

Of course dwarves paints. The antique statues of rome, greeece and mesopotamia where all painted. The statues should be colourful and vivid, and this goes for the engravings aswell. Painting should be done either as a quality modifier directly on the wall (rough, painted/smoothed, painted) or on the engraving. Masterfully engraved, and horribly coloured. If a different dwarf than the engraver did the painting, and he so ruined the masterpiece he would hold a grudge. But a good painter is able to "correct" a bad engraving, elevating its quality (and hiding it's faults).

But you would also paint walls, entrances, palaces, etc. The throne roome filled with engravings and statues looking alive, thanks to paint.
Pages: 1 [2]