Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Grey's Anatomy  (Read 1413 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: Grey's Anatomy
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2010, 02:11:40 pm »

Might try The Big Bang Theory, a more classical sitcom with quite a hillarius plot, don't know if it was released on DVD yet but the fourth season will be coming out sometime near the end of the year
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2010, 02:19:45 pm »

If you do like Sci-Fi, I'd recommend Stargate SG-1. It's my personal favorite Sci-Fi show. 214 episodes and 3 movies (4 if you count the original Stargate)!
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2010, 03:02:49 pm »

As a side note, watching the pilot to get an idea of what the series is like tends to be a bad idea. If you watched the pilot to Family Guy or Simpsons and assumed that's what the rest of the run is like, you'd be horribly horribly mistaken.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2010, 03:05:33 pm »

As a side note, watching the pilot to get an idea of what the series is like tends to be a bad idea. If you watched the pilot to Family Guy or Simpsons and assumed that's what the rest of the run is like, you'd be horribly horribly mistaken.

I agree. It's even worse when you are basing the rest of a very long story-focused series on the pilot.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2010, 03:05:52 pm »

Which is actually a fairly silly thing, when you think about it.  The whole point behind a pilot is to get people interested, to make sure that you make a mark so that you get viewers tuning in to see how it all goes.

When the pilot does nothing other than make you actively avoid the series in question, something is very wrong.

It's not that we only intended to watch the pilot and get a feeling from there.  We had the whole first season of everything, and we just decided to start from the beginning.  The only reason we stopped at the first episode was because we couldn't bring ourselves to watch the next.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2010, 03:09:18 pm »

Yes I'd say start on the second series of NuWho, I didn't like the original new Doctor. That said if you don't like the second series then just give up on NuWho it obviously isn't for you.

As for other programs, The IT Crowd is good. Can't think of any others of the top of my head.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2010, 03:11:43 pm »

Watch Jersey Shore. Record your reactions. Best Horror-Comedy of the Decade.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2010, 03:11:51 pm »

As for other programs, The IT Crowd is good. Can't think of any others of the top of my head.

On the subject of British comedy, there is Black Books. Hilarious.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2010, 03:56:17 pm »

Have you tried Red Dwarf yet?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Agdune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2010, 11:53:43 pm »

When the pilot does nothing other than make you actively avoid the series in question, something is very wrong.

Eh, it's sortof a case of the script being solid, but the actors not having had enough time to get used to their roles and give them any life. I find it much more noticable with comedies - I love scrubs, but to me the pilot episode has a completely different, subdued feel, because the actors had all presumably been told "this is a serious comedy. Be serious." Zach Braff hadn't forced his sense of humour on the writers yet (or whatever happened there between the first few episodes and the remainder of the run).

They ran The Pacific here about a week ago, if you haven't watched that, do yourself a favor and do so now.

I loved Band of Brothers, but for me the Pacific just didn't feel quite right. I mean, it was good, but I didn't really like any of the characters (hey, sortof like the OP!) and the whole thing just felt kindof... fragmented. I think BoB had better flow, since it followed an entire company and each episode shifted the main focus onto a different fellow's story - there wasn't enough time to get sick of anyone.
I'm Mr. Cellophane

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2010, 12:09:56 am »

Yes I'd say start on the second series of NuWho, I didn't like the original new Doctor. That said if you don't like the second series then just give up on NuWho it obviously isn't for you.
Heh, they're on what, the eleventh doctor? There's bound to be at least one of them any given person finds agreeable. :D
I personally have only watched episodes from the very first series(I'll work my way through em all eventually), and aside from the insufferably 1960's atmosphere of it and the "Oh god, this episode/storything is twice as long as a movie," it's quite good.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2010, 12:12:29 am »

Didn't series usually consist of one adventure each back in the 60s?

I still remember Origin of the Daleks. Man, aside from the characters freaking out over an immobile giant clam  that was such an awesome origin story.
Pages: 1 [2]