Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Grey's Anatomy  (Read 1418 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Grey's Anatomy
« on: August 06, 2010, 02:01:44 am »

So recently we (my family) has been watching several seasons of Grey's Anatomy on DVD.  This first started after we ran out of House DVDs (latest season hasn't arrived at our library yet) and we started going into withdrawal.  Having heard about Grey's, we picked up a season and started watching.

Three seasons later, and I can quite safely say that I hate everyone.

No, really.  Every goddamn character on that show is a dick.  The main character is a dick, the supporting characters are dicks, even the one-episode-wonders are dicks.  The only halfway-respectable person is Bailey.  With everyone else, I'm just waiting for them to do something of such titanic idiocy that I find that my opinion of them has added a basement.

Why am I watching it, you may ask?  Because...  Well, because we haven't got any better series to watch.

Anyone else here seen this?  I'm aware that my manliness probably dropped a few notches because I even deigned to watch this in the first place, but there has to be someone out there who's seen it.  The rest of the show isn't really that bad...  Sure, it deals with a lot of amazing ass-pulls and highly predictable situations, but it's not bad.  The characters, on the other hand, sicken me.  Are there any redeeming features?  Was it all a dream?  Is there some shining nugget of enlightenment that might sway my opinion of these cudhuckers?  If so, please share it with me.

And if not, I don't suppose you'd have a better series you'd like to recommend for while we're waiting on House?

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Grey's Anatomy
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 02:10:03 am »

Blackadder. Get to see Hugh Laurie in a period he'd rather not talk about. Also you can buy it and watch it whenever! So much more efficient.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 02:12:49 am by Jackrabbit »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 02:24:43 am »

Also you can buy it and watch it whenever! So much more efficient.

You seem to be confused my friend.  I believe I have mentioned this library here in fabulous Las Vegas.  This library which is within walking distance from our house, allows us to take out seven DVDs a week per card, and takes requests.  For free.

Giving away money for something is an amazingly silly concept, Manrabbit.

Blackadder is duly noted however.  I think my folks saw a fair portion of it long ago though, so it won't exactly be new material for them.  Worth considering, in any case.

However, having seen the 101 Dalmations with Glenn Close, I think I've already filled my quota for Hugh Laurie during the period he'd rather not talk about.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 02:31:05 am »

Oh yes, I remember now. And I am still insanely jealous.

If you're going with Blackadder, then try the last three series for less British potty humor. Be warned that the fourth season ending is fairly heavy.

I can't get enough of Blackadder, honestly. Also, do you watch Doctor Who? Silly question, of course you do (or you'd better start, damn you). There's that too. Oh, and The Goodies, they're really awesome. Actually, you know what? Does your library have a British comedy section? Just go there.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 05:34:22 am »

If you are looking for a medical series you could always try Scrubs, the most awesomest of awesome medical series(even more awesome than House), but only the first eight seasons, the ninth is crap and has nothing to do with the show
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 08:40:21 am »

If you haven't seen all the episodes of Only Fools and Horses, get that. Best series ever.

And yeah, Grey's Anatomy is basically a soap opera.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 09:00:37 am »

all three of them are soap operas.

Also, last season's House ending was bad.

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 11:10:01 am »

They ran The Pacific here about a week ago, if you haven't watched that, do yourself a favor and do so now.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 11:18:48 am »

I was about to say Scrubs, but I see Jopax has already suggested it. I haven't seen the ninth season, but the fact that they actually wrapped up plot threads makes me happy.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 11:35:46 am »

If you are looking for a medical series you could always try Scrubs, the most awesomest of awesome medical series(even more awesome than House), but only the first eight seasons, the ninth is crap and has nothing to do with the show

Yeah, this.

Also, apparently a soap opera is any show in which a narrative continues from episode to episode, and the viewer can expect some sort of continuity.  Interesting... I guess 24, Heroes, Lost, and The Wire would all be soap operas by that definition, then.  Same with Numb3rs, though I've gotta say it's really shitty as far as "making you care about the characters" goes.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 01:22:40 pm »

We actually tried Scrubs.  Watched the whole pilot, start to finish.

...and that's pretty much all we had stamina for.  It really, really didn't suit our interests.

We'd also been turned on to Dr. Who before by a friend of ours who is, well...  "Quite fond" of the series, shall we say.  She recommended that we watch the first season of the new series, as that was particularly good and a perfectly fine place for a neophyte to start.

So we watched the first episode of the first season of the new series.  Afterwards, we wondered what it was exactly that we had missed, because for some reason we weren't slavering fans.  Maybe starting in at that place wasn't such a good idea, or maybe we really just didn't have the right kind of chemistry with Dr. Who.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2010, 01:29:00 pm »

This says everything about this show:

Dr. Sexy M.D.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2010, 01:57:02 pm »

I don't know if you have, or if you even like SF but watch the 14 episodes of Firefly, by far the best SF series ever, and possibly the dumbest mistake Fox ever made
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2010, 02:02:57 pm »

the cancelling of Rome was a pretty egregious error as well. I dont know if that was Fox, though.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2010, 02:05:11 pm »

Yep, have indeed watched Firefly...  First we watched Serenity, then we watched all of Firefly, then we watched Serenity again for extra bonus points.  That was another thing suggested to us by the gal who recommended Dr. Who.  Since she brought us on to Serenity first, we were quite ready to take her further recommendations on faith.

And we don't actually have any sort of TV here.  We cut our service a long time ago since we never really used it.  Now we just hear about series and order the DVDs from the library (or, in the case of South Park, watch it off the site).

But on the occasions when we do have access to a TV connection (staying at a hotel or something), then I do find myself gravitating towards the SciFi channel (no, I refuse to spell it the other way.  Piss off).  Through all the amazingly bad programs and movies they had on there, I found myself locked to the screen.  I can't really put my finger on what it is, but I just call it "The SciFi Effect".  It's all horrible, sometimes hilariously horrible, but you just have to watch it through to the end.
Pages: [1] 2