Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: Flooding...  (Read 22938 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Flooding...
« Reply #120 on: August 10, 2010, 10:06:52 am »

They can only destroy the wall when it's under construction.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 10, 2010, 11:11:45 am »

I sure hope so... I haven't seen them do it again
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Toast024

• Bay Watcher
  • Goes good with jam or butter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 11, 2010, 12:00:49 pm »

What your doing is impressive.
Once I set the demon type number to 0 in the world gen settings, and built my entire fort in hell. Beds were built over chasms.
The learning curve of the df forums should be equal to that of df itself.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 11, 2010, 06:55:17 pm »

OK, I'm graaaadually making progress, here.

I've almost walled over the entire southern end of my embark.  8 floors tall, by the way.

I pretty much have to stop and designate 160 up/down stairs and 160 wall pieces at a time and un-suspending any pieces that got cancelled because some little cowardly mason got scared by a piddly fire-breathing clown.  After doing that, I go off to do something with my life while the game runs the simulation.

This means I don't watch most of the action, so I don't really know what's going on. 

Also, the whole wall is made of Quartzite.  There's a crap ton of it in the walls around the enterance to HFS, even though I'm pretty sure the layer is SUPPOSED to be marble.  There's marble over to the north, and I've had plenty enough of it to make most of the stairs out of marble when I'm not making it out of orthoclase or mica, but whatever, I'm making a wall of quartzite.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Urist McKing

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Spacemarine
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 12, 2010, 07:30:48 pm »

BUMP! WE MUST LEARN HOW TO DESTROY THESE MONSTERS!
Yes! I would like the court to recognize the record as showing that I FUCKING CALLED IT!

Vizx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 13, 2010, 08:49:38 am »

Demons are still hurt by spike traps, right? That seems like it'd be a relatively easy way to get rid of the initial wave.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 13, 2010, 08:56:36 am »

Well if I'm correct you can lure them all to a certain area and cave that in and you are done.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 13, 2010, 08:57:12 am »

That is a thing that I have done before.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 14, 2010, 09:52:26 pm »

By the way, I've almost got the entire south end of the map covered in walls.  Oddly, clowns don't seem to shift sideways to find new entry-holes, they seem to just slide upward.  I still have a few holes in the wall, thanks to repeatedly having clowns popping out of them before I can actually manage to SEAL the hole.

According to my construction menu, I am designating over 300 segments of stairs and walls at a time, here. 

Anyway, I've come across a snag that I don't know how to deal with: I apparently cannot build stairs DOWN to the bottom floor of a glowing pit.  The best I can do is pave a floor over the next-to-last level, unless I find some trick around this.  This means that there are some areas where a small glowing pit snuggling up along the edge of the map with slade cliffs around it are essentially impossible to seal the edges totally (except by just paving over them).

Oh, and there are approximately 4100 (216 pages) of dead clowns on the unit screen.  No idea if the unit screen eventually starts getting culled at some point.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 14, 2010, 10:31:49 pm »

which puppy has the highest kill count?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 14, 2010, 11:28:33 pm »

which puppy has the highest kill count?

Ummm... I don't know.  I have several named critters, but I can't see a way to get to a kill screen on non-dwarves. 

Keep in mind I still have well over a thousand (possibly over two thousand) creatures still alive thanks to going WAY overboard with the catsplosion.   So even 4000 kills can be spread pretty darn thin.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 15, 2010, 09:29:36 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm having trouble walling off certain areas.  One location has over three pages of skeletons on the tiles that I am trying to wall off, and my dwarves can't shove the corpses off the tiles fast enough to build a wall there before the next wave of clowns topples the wall all over again, spreading their stupid dismembered body parts all over my wall just to annoy me.  Stupid clowns, always getting thesmelves dismembered horribly in annoying ways.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 15, 2010, 10:29:14 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm having trouble walling off certain areas.  One location has over three pages of skeletons on the tiles that I am trying to wall off, and my dwarves can't shove the corpses off the tiles fast enough to build a wall there before the next wave of clowns topples the wall all over again, spreading their stupid dismembered body parts all over my wall just to annoy me.  Stupid clowns, always getting thesmelves dismembered horribly in annoying ways.
Magma?
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 15, 2010, 01:58:11 pm »

Note to self: Wall off from the top down.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 15, 2010, 03:45:38 pm »

Note to self: Wall off from the top down.

Pretty much... I tried just repeatedly ordering them to re-build the wall, but I was just fighting a losing battle - it exploded up to 12 pages of dead clowns.

I had to deconstruct the walls below them to make the garbage fall into the eerie pits before I could proceed.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11