Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: Flooding...  (Read 23328 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Flooding...
« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2010, 11:01:45 pm »

Because size is strength.  Being 100 times larger means they are 100 times stronger. 

Well, I guess if I redo this from the start (for some odd reason, I hit my magma sea up at elevation 100, and didn't find any caverns), I can just make small, weak dwarves who zip around, and rely upon my mighty puppy brigades... they're friggin' huge, and I now have something like 500 of them, and they can easily rip dragons apart.  I've been getting constant "given birth" spam since I hit Winter, and I set littersize to 10:20.  I have about 12 dwarves, pretty much nothing going on but training, and I still have dropped to 50 fps.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Horizon9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2010, 11:30:04 pm »

Anyone who manages to kill off Hell with these ideas should become the next mod for the site.
Because that's the only fitting prize for the amount of Fun one would have doing this.
What a tiny roc. I guess I could call it a pebbl.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 07, 2010, 11:41:08 pm »

OK, I gave up and revealed to find the cavern and adamantine... I also moved my meeting site, as that's the only way to herd this many animals.  Seems like the births have mostly stopped... I have roughly 1600 baby creatures, which I'm quite sure proves they can outbreed demons...

The only problem is my FPS dropped to 10 as soon as I moved my meeting site, and these animals all started trying to path somewhere.  I haven't even released the demons yet.  Yeah, this is going to take a while.  Consider this a CPU burn test.

edit: I was wrong, they're STILL giving birth.

edit again: OK, I breached Hell, I'm digging through the adamantine towards the channel so I can build a proper stairwell directly into HFS so I can properly launch my genocidal invasion of HFS.

The following are the clowns I can see spawning:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now, we will see how well this whole thing pays off.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 12:00:02 am by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2010, 12:10:14 am »

Puppies of Armok are officially total overkill.

They destroyed the demon before it even got to make an attack.

edit: oooooh... I may have my first casualty.  A hound of Armok ran off ahead, and got surrounded and outnumbered 22-to-1.  His upper torso is "wide open" and the right rear leg is gone, so I figure this is a goner, even for no internal organs and megahealing.  I can't tell how many he took down precisely, but he's standing on 8 demon corpses.

Oh, and still getting birth message spam trickling in.

edit edit: OK, I have the first wave pretty much cleared out.  I lost two hounds, but my forces are still over a thousand strong.  I just need to carve out some stairs down, but there's a couple clowns that are just scared and hiding below the pit, scaring my miner/mason off from finishing the whole "invade HFS" thing.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 12:41:21 am by NW_Kohaku »
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2010, 01:05:29 am »

HFS invaded

Now, I just have to set up patrol points, and I can start eliminating all those clown respawns...

But I haven't been seeing any respawns around.

Found some respawns, it was actually a pair of termite things that spat fire bricks, which weren't part of the original wave.

There's a couple more demons on the south end, but they're flying over a glowing pit out of my range, and not willing to move closer.  I guess this means that this is the end of the campaign...

These glowing pits are huge.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 01:28:20 am by NW_Kohaku »
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 08, 2010, 01:42:18 am »

Hehe...Nice

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2010, 04:09:11 am »

But how do you make sometimes tousends of times heavier then adamantine I mean it has a weight of 0 right?
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2010, 04:15:15 am »

so are the armok hounds viable for clearing it out though? for future ref?
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 08, 2010, 08:34:06 am »

But how do you make sometimes tousends of times heavier then adamantine I mean it has a weight of 0 right?

It has a density of 200.

so are the armok hounds viable for clearing it out though? for future ref?

It would probably be best to add flying to all these creatures, actually.  If nothing else, it clears up the problems with the glow pits and potentially dodging into them.

I left this thing on overnight, and apparently after enough time, the clowns will start roving, and will get eaten by the moo moo cows of Armok or something.  I've stopped counting, but last time I did, I had over 2500 of these critters, and they go for the jugular.  Thanks to being around ten times the mass of the clowns that are actually made of flesh, their kicks lop off body parts with every attack, and they tend to use the bite and latch on manuever in groups, so I like to think of them as dogs fighting over who gets what body part.

Anyway, when I woke up, there were a few more pages of dead clowns, including some tarrantula and some glass and some stegasauroid monsters (oh, and something called a "dark taupe monster" alot of those recently...)...  I really should have remembered to keep these numbers down.

I'm now trying to order some of my miner/masons to dig up a few more stones, so I can just pave over the glowing pits with floors.  That'll stop that nonsense!

Also, apparently, the arrival of the caravans pauses the game... stupid caravans.

edit: also, it seems to take the animals quite a while to realize that the demons are there - they will litterally walk into demons, and path around them for quite a while.  Demons dont' fire back initially, either.  I think that there' some sort of delay on them becoming active/hostile or something.

edit edit: a puppy apparently dodged off a cliff.  Fell 1 z-level.  Its density meant it splattered into a million pieces.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 08:54:36 am by NW_Kohaku »
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2010, 08:45:12 am »

I think you can turn all the auto pausing off
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 08, 2010, 09:04:26 am »

Well, the lessons of the day are that I think killing HFS without cheating might be doable.

If you can kill off the initial flood with cave-ins or the like, then you're only going to be facing a random couple of demons floating in occasionally, which a very good military with plenty of expendables should be capable of handling.

After that, screw obsidian casting, you can pretty much pave HFS.  I don't get any "Too close to edge" warnings when I put up walls underground.  It seems like you can just put floors over the glowing pits, and build walls along the edges outright.

(The roads to Hell may be paved in good intentions (by which we mean adamantine), but the roads IN Hell are paved in marble!)
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2010, 10:18:22 am »

Well, the lessons of the day are that I think killing HFS without cheating might be doable.

If you can kill off the initial flood with cave-ins or the like, then you're only going to be facing a random couple of demons floating in occasionally, which a very good military with plenty of expendables should be capable of handling.

After that, screw obsidian casting, you can pretty much pave HFS.  I don't get any "Too close to edge" warnings when I put up walls underground.  It seems like you can just put floors over the glowing pits, and build walls along the edges outright.

(The roads to Hell may be paved in good intentions (by which we mean adamantine), but the roads IN Hell are paved in marble!)

Okay, I'll try if not bored beforehand.
The pack of war elephants is VERY effective.

Fb comes in, kills dwarves left and right... then an elephant notice it and brainstomps it. This pattern repeated with the last 5 FB (sometimes it takes 2 or 3 kicks, tough). Guess it's the blunt damage.
Still no male Cave Crawler, goblin civ nearby, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a siege.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 08, 2010, 10:20:51 am »

I'm in ur HFS walling off ur dudes

"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2010, 10:40:21 am »

This is getting quite awesome...

Urist McKing

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Spacemarine
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 08, 2010, 11:48:22 am »

edit edit: a puppy apparently dodged off a cliff.  Fell 1 z-level.  Its density meant it splattered into a million pieces.
Thats gonna make it harder to have an invincible avatar of Armok, guess I'll just try to make his skin have 500 density and make his armor superdense.
Yes! I would like the court to recognize the record as showing that I FUCKING CALLED IT!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11