Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Flooding...  (Read 23353 times)

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Flooding...
« on: August 06, 2010, 01:20:27 am »

I've recently started playing DF, and having browsed the forums a bit I have discovered the existence of
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
. Now, it seems that it is impossible to win against hell due to the demons lacking organs.I ponder if flooding hell, either with lava or water, has been attempted, and the results of the flooding.

edit: Changed title, due to spoiler reasons...
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 12:46:56 pm by xeivous »

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Flooding Hell
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 02:02:30 am »

Dear friend,
Of course this has been tried over and over: I'll recap the salient points for you:
1) the demons will have nonconsensual sexual activities with all of your orifices
2) opening and immediately re-sealing HFS kills your framerate!
3) demons breathe underwater
4) demons breathe magma and use it as daily skincare
5) some demons evaporate water

What else? Have FUN!

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 03:04:33 am »

Does anybody know whatever completly filling it with obsidion can stop them from spawning (this may require some/a lot of savescumming). I mean what happens if you tread it simmulair to a "normal" aquifer.That way you can cave in the entire structure and perhaps stop them from properly spawning this may take more then an entire day because of lag but it means it can be beaten!
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 03:10:18 am »

Does anybody know whatever completly filling it with obsidion can stop them from spawning (this may require some/a lot of savescumming). I mean what happens if you tread it simmulair to a "normal" aquifer.That way you can cave in the entire structure and perhaps stop them from properly spawning this may take more then an entire day because of lag but it means it can be beaten!

You'd have to be very careful how you did it, but I imagine if you can flood a single layer at a time, alternating water and magma it should be doable. You can't allow two levels to build up of either liquid due to the way obsidian is cast though. No idea if this would actually stop spawning however.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

The Yellow Peril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 04:37:59 am »

I can see that working in theory, but how would you deal with the demons while you were flooding hell? Whatever hole you used to pump water and magma into hell would be used as a pathway for the demons to escape out of (they can all fly, breathe water, etc). Even if you trap all of the demons that initally spawn when you breach hell inside a walled-off corridor, and even if you can put up with the FPS drop, more demons spawn at about the rate of 1 per minute from inside hell.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 05:26:42 am »

Possible, but that's very different from PROBABLE.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 05:33:49 am »

Would not casting a giant cube of obisidian before SQUASHING THEM TO BITS work?
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Sir Broccoli

• Bay Watcher
  • Right in the goddamn FACE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 05:45:47 am »

If you actually manage to do this you will have won DF. Forever.
If sad, apply kittens.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 05:48:51 am »

I can see that working in theory, but how would you deal with the demons while you were flooding hell? Whatever hole you used to pump water and magma into hell would be used as a pathway for the demons to escape out of (they can all fly, breathe water, etc). Even if you trap all of the demons that initally spawn when you breach hell inside a walled-off corridor, and even if you can put up with the FPS drop, more demons spawn at about the rate of 1 per minute from inside hell.

As long as there was very little gap between the water and magma floods (I'm envisaging these being dropped from a height into the underworld area) then the natural push from flow should prevent anything flying out. I don't even know if you can fly through falling liquids.

You'd probably want some kind of level that toggles between magma and water so you can switch quickly, and lock a dwarf near by so you didn't put to much liquid into the level. Luckly you only need 1 deep to form a full block of obsidian so we can just flood until the whole area has coverage and switch until blocks are formed and the next level has coverage.

Obviously there is issues if other high points in the underworld are above the level we can flood too but I'm sure we can deal with that.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 06:16:59 am »

Would not casting a giant cube of obisidian before SQUASHING THEM TO BITS work?
This calls for SCIENCE!

Project: Stone Hammer Prototype

Abstract:

While the minerals found at the deepest layers of the world have always been much desired by dwarven industry, they have in many cases proven costly to obtain. Even when the direct wrath of those found below can be avoided, the time dilation effect caused by their attention is still enough to render the zone uninhabitable. This project examines potential plans to recover the valuable ores while maintaining a safe, viable habitat.

Methodology:

Due to the difficulty with working at the depths, this first experimentation will be performed by using the upper caverns as an analogy to the so called 'hell' region. We will examine a method of breaching the caverns in practical terms, without breaching them in actuality.

An expedition was mounted to Dorenshorast for the purposes of this experiment.

Here, an exploratory shaft was sunk to the first cavern layer below. Those repeating the experiment should note how breaching the cavern is a momentous event.

By utilizing dwarven time distortion technology (brand 'savescum(tm)') the information so far found was returned to the expedition at the start of spring, so that, in effect, the site could act as its own control group.

At this point, usung the knowledge from the first expedition, a large rock piller was constructed just above the first cavern layer. This was then dropped through the cavern layer, in such a way that the column would fill the gap it made entering the layer in an airtight manner.

This at first seemed successful- a column was created in the cavern layer, without the cavern actually being breached.

However, when miners were sent to dig down through the column, the cavern breach event was again noted, despite no actual contact with the cavern itself being made.

Conclusion:

While there is a faint possibility this technique may still be of use in the lower layers, it cannot be recommended, as the triggering of the breach event is likely to be enough to attract the time distortions associated with resealed breaches.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 06:51:31 am »

I think you most you could manage would be some sort of obsidian, pyramidal crust extending down from the ceiling of hell where you broke through the tube, down to wherever the glowing pits are (or the edge of the map). Since fluids are deleted at the edge of the map, there's no way to fill the whole thing up, but you could probably create quite a bit of obsidian down there if you poured water in so that it coated all the accessible flooring and then pour obsidian in so that it solidified all the stagnant water. However, remember that while all this goes on, you and your framerate are both beind bent over and diddled.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2010, 08:46:03 am »

Probably won't work, for the sole reason that the glowing pits act as bottomless pits. Anything you pump into there will just go down the hole.
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2010, 08:51:15 am »

What?! How dare you steal my masterplan, I already have something similar planned for when I'm feeling confident enough to brave the dephts.

I have acces to an underground lake wich is quite vast, I will use this in conjunction with the vast amounts of magma in the magmasea to cast some obsidian right under the floor of semi molten rock.

The obsidian, for the sake of being dwarven, shall be cast in the shape of a gigantic warhammer. When it's done I will drop the hammer and crush anything down there.

Now the tricky part I can imagine is building suficient walls and floors to form the shape of the hammer before the clowns find a way out, and protecting the masons while construction is underway.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2010, 08:53:55 am »

a) spoiler your spoiler title, heathen.

b) My plans for a fortress in Hell call for separate pillars to serve as magma and water hookups. Perhaps this could be adapted to more immediately useful purposes?
c)(COMMON MISCONCEPTION - ALL DEMONS INVADE) the infinitely-spawning roaming demons are opportunistically hostile - they`ll only attack if they get near a dwarf.
d) As mentioned before, only 1/7 water/magma is needed to obsidianize.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Toast024

• Bay Watcher
  • Goes good with jam or butter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2010, 10:07:05 am »

Someone should use DFhack to make sure that blocking off the endless pit things and hell's walls does stop them from spawning. Then, once we see that it works, we do it in DF.
The learning curve of the df forums should be equal to that of df itself.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11