Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: Flooding...  (Read 23325 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Flooding...
« Reply #75 on: August 08, 2010, 01:49:26 pm »

edit edit: a puppy apparently dodged off a cliff.  Fell 1 z-level.  Its density meant it splattered into a million pieces.
Thats gonna make it harder to have an invincible avatar of Armok, guess I'll just try to make his skin have 500 density and make his armor superdense.
Probably a bad idea.  Armor weighs units down, and the game doesn't care how strong you are, 20 ton armor weighs you down to a slug's crawl regardless.

You're better off making that "Armor" a part of Armok's own body, like a shell or an exoskeleton, although just making him out of solid Duronium, and making him rediculously thick and dense is probably a better bet.

In unrelated news... I'M AT YEAR TWO! 

Game is running at a pretty much constant 9 FPS right now.  Armor is too heavy, so I have been assigning all my dwarves "uniforms" that I call "nakey time", so that they can actually enjoy their SPEED:0.  Their 4-ton pig tail dresses cut their speed down to about a tenth of what they should be moving.

I've also assigned about 1000 animals to be butchered, because Jeebus Cripes, I have 13 dwarves, no items but the crap I embarked with and a couple hundred stones, and this game is at 9 friggin FPS.  The little puppies and kittens are running roughshod over HFS and my FPS.

Progress on the wall is slow, thanks to most of my dwarves declaring they have "No Job" and sitting in the meeting zones (I control animal "patrol routes" through meeting zones... there's thousands of them, so individually assigning them to burrows is out of the question) wanking off with all the horses and donkeys.  I have one miner and one mason actually doing work.  Still, I have about 40 pieces of wall up, and the scaffolding to set up 30 more.

My expedition leader has been in "a meeting" with the Liason for the past 6 months.  When will the Liason give up and go home?  Not that it matters too much, it's just one less useful dwarf.

Setting up stockpiles in HFS seems buggy.  My dwarves keep whining about it being "Inaccessable" in job cancellation spam.  I had to set my stockpile above HFS to stop it.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Urist McKing

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Spacemarine
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 08, 2010, 02:46:02 pm »

Probably a bad idea.  Armor weighs units down, and the game doesn't care how strong you are, 20 ton armor weighs you down to a slug's crawl regardless.

You're better off making that "Armor" a part of Armok's own body, like a shell or an exoskeleton, although just making him out of solid Duronium, and making him rediculously thick and dense is probably a better bet.

Better idea, make him able to fly and make both his skin and armour superthick, and make him superfast.
Yes! I would like the court to recognize the record as showing that I FUCKING CALLED IT!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 08, 2010, 04:46:14 pm »

Better idea, make him able to fly and make both his skin and armour superthick, and make him superfast.

That's my point - actual armor will slow you down, regardless of how strong he is, and you will move like a slug.  My dwarves are SPEED:0, which is as fast as this game lets you be, and they still move like they have SPEED:1,000,000 when they are wearing 20-ton armor, even if they, themselves, weigh 600 tons, all of it muscle. 

If you want armor, make it a part of his body, where it doesn't count against your speed, rather than having him "wear" anything, which will greatly slow you down.  My dwarves easily move 1/10th their SPEED:0 speed just because they are wearing pants and socks, much less armor.

Flying is perfectly fine, though.

In other news, my wall is going fine, but as I get closer to one of the major entry points of the clowns, I get interrupted more and more often by demons flying out of the holes I'm trying to seal. 

Fortunately, since I ordered all my dwarves into "militia" that are permanently inactive, but which have a "uniform" of "nakey time", they can easily outrun the clowns, and don't do stupid things like dodge into the red asterisks. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The actual hole is at 4 z up, so I'm building all four levels simultaniously (I.E. I've accomplished more than it looks), although the walls are kind of spotty, since I keep adding more stairs extensions.

edit: Also, if anyone else wants to pull this stunt, besides "don't have masive littersizes that kill your FPS" or "don't bring more than one or two beast types", if you want to wall HFS in, you should probably also embark on a friggin 2x2 site at most.  I don't know why I didn't.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 04:52:05 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 08, 2010, 05:02:37 pm »

Update about legit way: my obsidian canon design is unreliable and not fast enough: demons slip by, wreck the pumps, and eh...

War elephants are also way too weak against an equal number of demons.
So yeah, I'm dropping this, if anyone else wants to try...
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 08, 2010, 05:06:39 pm »

have you tried with simple dubble fortifications? That way you can move in water/magma while not allowing demons to move trough.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 08, 2010, 05:11:08 pm »

have you tried with simple dubble fortifications? That way you can move in water/magma while not allowing demons to move trough.

Duh, they do go tru, the bastards.

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 08, 2010, 05:26:44 pm »

I am saddened to hear that the legitimate method has failed for now. Any other takers are welcome.

Kietharr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 08, 2010, 05:47:55 pm »

I think the key here is to figure out which pillar has the clowns and collapsing the roof of it shortly after breaching the wall. The collapse should wipe out the majority of the clowns, and hopefully your military should be strong enough to beat down the survivors, if not you could try to reseal it and cast a new roof out of obsidian then drop it again.

Since afaik not even the mightiest clowns can remove constructions, once you beat down the initial wave and secure the circus you can wall off/pave over sections if not completely wall off the edges of the map to prevent new clown arrivals from damaging your dwarves. Then you can do what any self respecting dwarf would do with his own little piece of the circus, start farming plump helmets on muddied slade (if this is possible).

Also, I'd think that the circus would be a wonderful place to house nobles, considering the oceans of dwarven holy water directly above you wouldn't even really need pump stacks for unfortunate acts of armok. Are clowns completely immune to cage traps now or can you do the old cavein knockout trick? It'd be great to keep some of trapped within constructed glass wall rooms for entertainment purposes.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 08, 2010, 05:57:50 pm »

Are clowns completely immune to cage traps

Yep. No stun.
What I did was cavein the roof on them, then pour magma/water from reservoirs over them to wittle them down with an obsidian rain.
That was not enough :(.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 08, 2010, 06:00:00 pm »

yhea new stratagy is probably building up a support holding something like 20 z levels up then breaching and pulling the lever. You might sacrafise a miner but they won't get out(the cavein blocks the escape).

The only problem after that is probably the pits which are probably going to be taken down using a system where you try to cast obsidion above it. (if passble removing slade would help a lot)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 06:02:45 pm by thijser »
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 08, 2010, 08:49:44 pm »

Cheaty way update:

Wall building goes well.

I'm getting attacked by more of the clowns that didn't appear in the first wave all the time.  Anyway, the clowns keep arriving on the map in the same tiles.  It's even the same kinds of clowns, many times, so I'm starting to think many of them can't even fly, honestly. 

I'm about to wall over two of the spawn points, one is right next to my ladder down to HFS, and spawns some of the possibly-non-fliers, because they never seem to appear near the pits, only the flat land.

I'm also able to just use meeting zones to dump large numbers of "garrison" moo moo cows of Armok right next to the clown spawn points.  The miasma clouds and piles of... well, goo and ash and broken glass are getting pretty messy.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

kapusta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 08, 2010, 09:40:37 pm »

Duh, they do go tru, the bastards.

Really? I designed a crappy obsidian encaser once that relied on magma being pumped through the fortifications and not a single demon has gone through them. Sure, I didn't get all the demons with it, but that was due to the poor design of the bridge that dropped water from above.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 08, 2010, 11:38:59 pm »

I saw an olmman flat out teleport through a fortification with no liquids on each side in my current fort so id say the fortifications are still a bit buggy
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 09, 2010, 05:00:13 am »

Progress on the wall is slow, thanks to most of my dwarves declaring they have "No Job" and sitting in the meeting zones (I control animal "patrol routes" through meeting zones... there's thousands of them, so individually assigning them to burrows is out of the question) wanking off with all the horses and donkeys.  I have one miner and one mason actually doing work.  Still, I have about 40 pieces of wall up, and the scaffolding to set up 30 more.

It's interspecies erotica, dammit!

No but seriously, you can set up one huge multi-z-level burrow that includes only the outer wall area, and another that includes the stockpiles, and assign builder dwarves to both of them.  They should avoid hanging out in the meeting zones, but be able to path between the wall and the stockpile normally.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 09, 2010, 08:00:30 am »

Remember how I said that I thought some of the clowns can't fly?  Well, when I walled off one of the spawn points, a Termite Brute spawned on top of the wall... and then was stuck.  Kept scaring off my workers because they could see him, but my non-flying puppies couldn't reach him,and apparently, he couldn't reach me.

I think that the initial wave of clowns are all flyers, but that after that, you can get all sorts of non-flying clowns.

Also, I now have 47 pages of dead clowns in my unit screen.  I wonder if this gets swept up at any point?
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11