Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Flooding...  (Read 23327 times)

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
Re: Flooding Hell
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2010, 03:03:12 am »

you understand that the population of demon ranks in the BILLIONS, right?

The way I see it, you just have to cast giant hammer over hell, drop it, and then send the animals in to catch the respawners.
However, I doubt this will be sufficient, as a demon with AoE powers will utterly destroy your animals.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
Re: Flooding...
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2010, 03:03:34 am »

Yhea submerger creaters can somehow get trough fortifications.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2010, 11:15:00 am »

While TRULY winning the game would require actually exterminating all demons, I think that generating a stable state that proves you COULD exterminate all demons, if left long enough, would be pretty close.

Of course, I would like to just leave the game running for months in a fully automated fortress just to see it happen.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2010, 02:05:41 pm »

While TRULY winning the game would require actually exterminating all demons, I think that generating a stable state that proves you COULD exterminate all demons, if left long enough, would be pretty close.

Of course, I would like to just leave the game running for months in a fully automated fortress just to see it happen.

Started a new fort.
Fortress is next to hell, only a thin wall of adamantine between us and the pits.

Started pumping water/magma reservoirs; also, as soon as I get a male crawler, the breeding will start. Elephants and tigers are already started.

Will keep you posted if I don't get bored before reaching max animal cap.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2010, 02:46:00 pm »

Well it seems that to fill it with obsidion all you need to do is simple: make a 1 fortifcation 2 construc another fortification behind it 3 flood it with magma 4 shut off magma 5 pump in water 6 more magma 7 more water repeat 8 4-5-6-7 untill done or small pockets off hell remain in which case you must dig into them and cave them in one by one.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2010, 03:12:09 pm »

Started a new fort.
Fortress is next to hell, only a thin wall of adamantine between us and the pits.

Started pumping water/magma reservoirs; also, as soon as I get a male crawler, the breeding will start. Elephants and tigers are already started.

Crap, actually, I forgot to check that one, and I think Voracious Crawlers do not have children in Vanilla.  You might have to mod that one to make it breed (why do so many of the things that are cool have no children, even when they have maxages like 20?). 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2010, 03:19:56 pm »

Started a new fort.

Crap, actually, I forgot to check that one, and I think Voracious Crawlers do not have children in Vanilla.  You might have to mod that one to make it breed (why do so many of the things that are cool have no children, even when they have maxages like 20?).

Spoiler: Raws (click to show/hide)

Doh :(.

So I just copy the children-related tags from elsewere?

Also, tamed or not, this guy is wrecking my shit. Pit time!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 03:24:15 pm by Encased in burning magma »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2010, 03:57:45 pm »

I think it's just "[CHILD:1]" that you need, along with male/female genders.  It's been a while since I've done this, though, so I might be wrong.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

thijser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2010, 03:59:16 pm »

If you want an effective breeding force you could make that into 8 or so childeren.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2010, 04:38:59 pm »

Tests against a FB are most inconclusive.

Crawler ignored it.
Crundles got destroyed by the dozens.
Elephants fared well, but their reproduction rate is ridiculously low...

Stuck the crawler in a 1-tile wide corrider and forced it to fight.
Does a bit better than a elephant, but that's it :(.

That clearly won't be enough against the demons.
I'm tempted to tell my dwarves "No, Urist. You are the demons." and then mod them, but meh.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 04:52:30 pm by Encased in burning magma »

thijser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2010, 05:02:17 pm »

Just try to get as many diffrend annimals as passble it's not like it costs you anything to breed them. Just catching is the problem.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2010, 05:12:52 pm »

If you want an effective breeding force you could make that into 8 or so childeren.

[CHILD:1] means "becomes an adult at 1 year old", not "has 1 child".

Also, your crawler probably managed to get a taste for dwarven blood.  Even if it is tamed, it is still considered an enemy of your civ, and will continue to attack your forces, and refuse to fight for you.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2010, 05:15:45 pm »

I feel honored to have inspired this. Now can one force humanoids such as goblins to fight? As capturing goblins and dumping them with all their gear into the fray seems like it could be a good idea...

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2010, 05:18:36 pm »

I feel honored to have inspired this. Now can one force humanoids such as goblins to fight? As capturing goblins and dumping them with all their gear into the fray seems like it could be a good idea...

The idea would be to sustain an animal population to counter the ever-respawning demons; and I'm not sure goblins even reproduce.
And as they would fight with your other animals...

Now, tough, I wouldn't balk at dumping them with the obsidian hammer in the initial phases.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2010, 05:27:00 pm »

Hmmm... In that case, I want to try something, then.  I'll try modding something that should do a number on demons.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11