Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Flooding...  (Read 23345 times)

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Flooding Hell
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2010, 10:21:16 am »

Someone should use DFhack to make sure that blocking off the endless pit things and hell's walls does stop them from spawning. Then, once we see that it works, we do it in DF.

That sounds far to sensible for this community ...
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2010, 10:37:36 am »

Hmm... honestly, I remember the whole "catsplosion in Hell" idea, where cats could actually out-reproduce some of the demon attacks...

What if we set up a catsplosion with creatures that could actually fight back?

What if we flooded hell with Cave Crocs, war elephants, war giant lions, helmet snakes, and maybe even modded in creatures?  If we have enough creatures that get thrown down there (and then have the holes resealed) to create a stable population base, and they are tough enough to fight toe to toe with demons, could we theoretically just set the form up to be largely automated, and just go to sleep with the game running, and come back every now and then to see how many demons the random critters have killed?

Could, as Stalin famously said, "Quantity have a Quality all its own"?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2010, 10:43:03 am »

You mean, after smashing the gigantic obsidian hammer?

I don't think it is sustainable, with the strength of demons and the animal population cap... Especially if your Elephants become !!Elephants!!.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2010, 12:17:20 pm »

The catsplosion was supposed to be self-sufficient for a few game months... that's with only one set of creatures.

It would probably depend greatly on what sort of procedurally generated demons you get (if they have attacks that can kill multiple creatures at once, you're probably screwed), and maybe it could simply require some sort of mod-generated creatures that are fire-proof or the like, with fast reproductive rates, but animal caps only apply per species - with enough different species, if you threw something like 12 or more kinds of combat-capable creatures into Hell, and they could out-reproduce the kill (and spawn) rates of demons, then you'd be able to destroy Hell by virtue of attrition alone. 

The only challenge is in actually getting a population base large enough on creatures dangerous enough to actually go toe-to-toe with demons.  (Unfortunately, elephants appear to take 5 years to hit adulthood, so they're probably not as good as other creatures are.  Still, Giant Desert Scorpions, Giant Lions, Giant Leapords, Giant Cheetahs, Giant Tigers, the non-giant versions of all those large predatory cats, all forms of bears, Horses, Cows/Bulls, Cave Crocs, all other crocodiles and alligaters, Voracious Cave Crawlers, Muskoxen, Dogs, Wolves, ... heck, even cats and other small creatures like hoary marmots just as pure cannon fodder.  You might also throw down the elephants and draltha and even things like cave dragons, even if they'll likely not see their children hit breeding age, just becuase of the slim chance the breeders stay alive and let their still-large-and-powerful children do some of the fighting for them.)

Kiss your FPS goodbye, but if you leave it running for a couple months, you might actually make demons go extinct.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2010, 12:26:50 pm »

What, can't you simply breed for fire resistance and reproductin rates by periodically flood your pet farm with magma? How disappointing. Anyway, if rabbits can take over Australia, they should be able to take over hell. Bizarre and lethal biology of local predators has proven to be no obstacle.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2010, 12:42:45 pm »

wiki has this to say:
"Hell takes the shape of a large open cavern, seemingly infinitely wide and generally varying between 1 and 4z high, made of slade. Its rough floor slopes up and down, making it possible to walk around and explore should you get an adventurer down there. Far below that are glowing cracks that shine purple light up into the main cavern of Hell."
Now we need to see whatever it's passble to 1 block these cracks. One way might be to hope for a no range attack demon and put a few forgotten beasts who can somehow attack them (they might have some sort of range/area of damage attack) this might help reduce their danger. Now what you can do is put 2 miners with magma/water behind them who at the same time and rate (be very carefull that they have the same skill) break trough. The magma/water will mix and the crack will be sealed. As I don't have acces to df (due to a crashed computer repair should come within a week) could someone report whatever the deamons spawn at the tile above the crack or inside the crack itself?

For this project we might have to look for ways to remove slade anybody who knows what happens if you trow obsidion on it and then channel it? 
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Flooding...
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2010, 12:51:42 pm »

... Honestly when I started this, I just excepted a few stories of failure. Alas I seem to have started a thread that has potential of true dwarfdom. So we have either make demon-obsidian cakes or flood the place with battle beasties. The former seems more Dwarfy.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2010, 01:03:08 pm »

We could of course make shure we have a lot of annimals then when we reach a critical moment in the casting procces (for example durring the closing of the cracks) we release the annimals.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2010, 08:53:02 pm »

Id say modding in some kind of demon killing animal is the only way to go.  They would have to be pretty hardcore and fast breeding too
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2010, 09:02:20 pm »

Well, if we start modding, there's no limit to what we can do, of course.  Fast-breeding, magma-proof GCS "artillary" to keep the demons pinned down, while Adamantine-skinned Cave CrocoBearEphants finish them off.  We could even have creatures with breath weapons (I think HFS are immune to poison, right?) that could help, provided they were made in such a way that it could not possibly wind up backfiring and killing all your cuddly little death machines, such as giving them extreme heat breath capable of melting almost anything HFS could be made of, while making them all heat-immune.

It would still be preferable to have at least a half dozen different breeds of killer pets, just to push that max pop cap up a little more.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2010, 10:43:02 pm »

Wouldn't it be just as well to modify a Bronze Colossus for this role?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Of course, Slade might be a better option because of the weight issues.

That or create a creature that with a flowing dust or demon dissolving gas trail.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2010, 10:50:12 pm »

The catsplosion was supposed to be self-sufficient for a few game months... that's with only one set of creatures.

It would probably depend greatly on what sort of procedurally generated demons you get (if they have attacks that can kill multiple creatures at once, you're probably screwed), and maybe it could simply require some sort of mod-generated creatures that are fire-proof or the like, with fast reproductive rates, but animal caps only apply per species - with enough different species, if you threw something like 12 or more kinds of combat-capable creatures into Hell, and they could out-reproduce the kill (and spawn) rates of demons, then you'd be able to destroy Hell by virtue of attrition alone. 

The only challenge is in actually getting a population base large enough on creatures dangerous enough to actually go toe-to-toe with demons.  (Unfortunately, elephants appear to take 5 years to hit adulthood, so they're probably not as good as other creatures are.  Still, Giant Desert Scorpions, Giant Lions, Giant Leapords, Giant Cheetahs, Giant Tigers, the non-giant versions of all those large predatory cats, all forms of bears, Horses, Cows/Bulls, Cave Crocs, all other crocodiles and alligaters, Voracious Cave Crawlers, Muskoxen, Dogs, Wolves, ... heck, even cats and other small creatures like hoary marmots just as pure cannon fodder.  You might also throw down the elephants and draltha and even things like cave dragons, even if they'll likely not see their children hit breeding age, just becuase of the slim chance the breeders stay alive and let their still-large-and-powerful children do some of the fighting for them.)

Kiss your FPS goodbye, but if you leave it running for a couple months, you might actually make demons go extinct.
you understand that the population of demon ranks in the BILLIONS, right?

rat_pack40

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2010, 11:06:15 pm »

at that point, extermination seems mandatory.
failing that, send in a speed 0 dwarven adventurer with multi-legendary weapon and armor skills, and gear made of bluemetal.

Ralp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://ralp.net/
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2010, 11:31:08 pm »

Does anybody know whatever completly filling it with obsidion can stop them from spawning (this may require some/a lot of savescumming). I mean what happens if you tread it simmulair to a "normal" aquifer.That way you can cave in the entire structure and perhaps stop them from properly spawning this may take more then an entire day because of lag but it means it can be beaten!

I can see that working in theory, but how would you deal with the demons while you were flooding hell? Whatever hole you used to pump water and magma into hell would be used as a pathway for the demons to escape out of (they can all fly, breathe water, etc). Even if you trap all of the demons that initally spawn when you breach hell inside a walled-off corridor, and even if you can put up with the FPS drop, more demons spawn at about the rate of 1 per minute from inside hell.

You can breach "safely" by smoothing a raw adamantine wall, then carving fortifications into it.  Demons will spawn, but they can't get out (but they'll still TRY to get out, murdering the game speed).  Water and magma can flow through fortifications so good luck.  On the other hand, I heard somewhere that some magma creatures can pass through fortifications if the square is full of magma.  This seems wrong to me, but who knows.

Saposhiente

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENGINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2010, 01:54:00 am »

There's a problem where water flow will teleport creatures to the other side, however it would only let things in in this case. You are super-ultra safe (For certain definitions of "safe") if you pour from above instead of the side.
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
You misspelled 'hilarious'
Fun
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11