Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Choose a game (Sci-fi mining/survival,Cyberpunk,Steampunk)  (Read 5540 times)

Sneevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Choose a game (Sci-fi mining/survival,Cyberpunk,Steampunk)
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2010, 11:40:31 am »

I'm voting for steampunk

because giant steam powered contraptions are awesome

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2010, 11:54:59 am »

I'm voting the survival one.  Nyah.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2010, 11:56:39 am »

Cyber.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2010, 12:00:28 pm »

I'd vote for cyberpunk myself.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2010, 12:32:14 pm »

EAM TO THE PUNK TO THE STEVE.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

techno65535

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2010, 01:00:06 pm »

I vote steampunk. Now, to design a 'flagship'
... while being chased by axe-welding cats in the dark.
Scratch that, throwing-axe-wielding cats in the dark.
They're cute but my god that's terrifying.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

rawr359

• Bay Watcher
  • dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2010, 01:10:08 pm »

Cyberpunk.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2010, 01:13:20 pm »

I'm deciding regardless for the steampunk setting.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2010, 01:13:42 pm »

[monocle]I say, I rather doubt your preposterous "airship" shall stand up to my giant mechanical crab.[/monocle]
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2010, 01:22:00 pm »

[monocle]I say, I rather doubt your preposterous "airship" shall stand up to my giant mechanical crab.[/monocle]
[monocle]Foolish CrabLord! everyone of ANY importance at all knows cyborg cats are the path to greatness[/monocle]
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2010, 01:26:11 pm »

[monocle]Foolish CrabLord! everyone of ANY importance at all knows cyborg cats are the path to greatness[/monocle]
You're a looney.

Now stop, ye peasants or I'll bring out the Funniest Joke in the World and end ye.

rawr359

• Bay Watcher
  • dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2010, 03:55:02 pm »

[monocle] I say, sounds like quite the yarn. Would you care to spin it? [/monocle]
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2010, 04:22:47 pm »

[sunglasses]My vision is augmented.[/sunglasses]
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2010, 04:52:22 pm »

Both the Steampunk and Cyberpunk ideas are interesting, before voting however, how would you be doing this combat simulation between flagships for the steampunk idea?

My goal is to prevent micromanagement of battles, which could easily take months of real-time to perform on a bulletin-board setting. I will create my own "system" to take care of the battle, but players will be given only limited information of game mechanics.

A few things I will/will not do.

1) I will use a spreadsheet to automate this process. I will post human-readable output, such as

Turn 1.1a) The Artemis fires 40mm cannon battery at Dorian Gray. Armor Location A4 is hit, damage is 20 points. Armor is destroyed, 16 points carries through to main boiler which loses 25% steam generation for remainder of battle.

I probably will not add any "flavor" text. Players will not know the complete rules of battle in order to prevent powergaming - especially the difficulty modifiers of targeting moving objects. You will know enough to effectively create a vehicle. For example, I will tell you a cannon does 2d6+4 damage and wood has 20 hitpoints per tile.

2) I will select what I perceive to be the best tactics for the particular matchup. Two airships are basically going to circle each other and broadside each other until one is destroyed. An airship vs. a robot is basically going to be the airship "orbits" the robot as fast as possible to keep the robot's guns off of it. Those are just two examples and I am willing to adjust Round 2 and Round 3 matches based on player input.

I will not spend alot of time worrying about tactical maneuvering - for the most part, this game is going to be guns vs. defensive infrastructure. Want to ensure you have enough steam to keep moving and not be a sitting duck? Add redundant boilers and take away space that could be used for guns. Want more armor layers? You'll need more reinforcement and a bigger motor to drag all the weight along.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 04:59:41 pm by Mullet Master »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2010, 04:58:58 pm »

Would we be piloting these things, or merely watching? I'm curious whether my designs will include shock absorbers to prevent unnecessary tea-rattling.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 [2] 3