Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17

Author Topic: PUC RTD: Turn 15 - Good luck comes to those who need it least  (Read 21328 times)

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
PUC RTD: Turn 15 - Good luck comes to those who need it least
« on: August 05, 2010, 08:11:03 pm »

Well, I've been in over 20 of these things, so I guess I should probably put to use what I've learned and give something back to the community.

Quote from: RTD Consequences Ruleset 1.1
The base of RTD: An action is given by the player each turn, and the GM rolls to see if they succeed.
Action: I open the door
1-Epic Failure You lock the door and throw away the key
2-Failure You jiggle the handle, but the door appears to be stuck
3-Modest Success You open the door slightly, not enough to squeeze through, though
4-Success You open the door, and reveal two goblins
5-Critical Success You open the door, quietly enough that the two goblins on the other side don't notice you
6-Overshoot You succeed, but...(See consequences for special overshoot rules)

When you roll a 6 on a main action, you get a consequence roll to determine the effects of your crazy method of success.
Continuing with the You open the door example:
1-Damaging Success You kick the door open, hurting your foot in the process.  The door smashes against the wall and shuts again.
2-Detrimental Success You smash right through the door, landing on the floor between two goblins.
3-Overdoing it You knock the door right off of its hinges.
4-Modest overshoot You kick the door in.
5-Beneficial overshoot You kick the door in, and it slams into one of the goblins on the other side.
6-Roll again for unintended consequences

Unforseen consequences work the same way as the consequence roll, only leveled up
1-Deadly success You engulf the door, and the room you are in, with a fireball!
2-Destructive success You smash the door off its hinges, and it explodes into a thousand splinters which fly towards your team!
3-Completely overdoing it You pull the door off its hinges, it falls on top of you.
4-Very Beneficial overshoot You kick open the door, which smashes into the two goblins on the other side!
5-Epic Overshoot You rip the door off its hinges, then with only your fingernails carve it into a masterful wooden sword that seems as good as steel!  The goblins on the other side bow down in awe.
6-Faustian Deal Your frustrated will to open this door summons the form of a demon from the lower planes.  He offers you a deal, your soul for that door open.  Just sign in blood on the dotted line.  Oh, ignore all that fine print, it's just technicalities.  Player can accept or decline deal before next turn, and a small mini turn will occur describing the effects.  Be warned, the demon will disappear at the beginning of next turn, so there's no time to actually read or edit the contract.

Quote from: RTD Dodging, Damage, and Death ruleset 2.6
Whenever a player or npc is attacked, they get a roll to dodge.
1-You move into the attack (-1 to damage)
2-You fail to dodge the attack
3-You get your vitals out of the way, but you're still grazed (+1 to damage)
4-You dodge the attack
5-You dodge and find yourself in a good position (+1 to next dodge roll this turn)
6-You dodge and find yourself in a poor position (-1 to all future dodge rolls this turn)

If you get hit, you get a roll to dodge damage
1-Critical damage (gain "near death" effect)
2-Bad hit
3-Standard damage
4-Slightly hurt
5-A scratch
6-No effect

If you have the "near death" status effect at the end of a turn, you get a roll to dodge death
<=1-You die
2-You've but a moment left to live(-2 to dodge death rolls)
3-You've taken a turn for the worst(-1 to dodge death rolls)
4-You're hanging on, barely
5-You're not doing great, but things are a little bit better(+1 to dodge death rolls)
6-You're starting to go into a stable condition(+2 to dodge death rolls)
7-You're still not up to par, but death is receding quickly(+3 to dodge death rolls)
>=8-You've stabilized (lose "near death" status)

Additional Rules: Permadeath is in effect, and dead players will open up their slots for new players.  GM may add additional rolls, bonuses, or penalties at any time for any reason.  These will try to be kept reasonable.

There's no set rules for status effects or skill gains, though generally you have to succeed at something multiple times, or spend a turn actively trying to learn it before it will take hold.

Magic in this game is...magical.  That is to say, there's no system for it; magic just happens for no particular reason.

Updates should be every day or so, except Saturdays for the next three months.  Reasonable GM'ing occurs for the first two missed turns without prior notice, then doing nothing save traveling for two turns after that, then detrimental insanity sets in for two turns, followed by suicidal actions thereafter.

I'll take six people for now.  However, if you've GM'd an RTD that I've played in, you can come in at any time, even if it's over the cap.  To join up, just put your action in bold

You awake to find yourself in a small tavern, laying sprawled out on the floor with a couple of other fellows.  You suddenly realize that you have no idea who you are or how you came to be here.  Your head hurts tremendously too; what in the world was the bartender serving last night?  It is morning; what shall you do?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 10:26:18 pm by Frelock »
All generalizations are false....including this one.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
Re: PUC RTD
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 08:34:31 pm »

Order some more of whatever it is, it could be useful later
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 08:40:32 pm »

Hey, Guess what, I'm a GMer in an RTD you're playing in. :P

But I'm not going to wait until the game hits it's cap before I join in.

Look around the floor for a (magical) wand or a ring.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 08:50:01 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Quarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 08:44:54 pm »

Dance my hangover away.

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 08:55:17 pm »

Run outside and throw up. Then investigate my surroundings.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 08:56:01 pm »

Stand up; look around to see if there's anyone else in the room. see if I have a mustache. If not, make a mustache out of a broom and don it proudly.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 08:57:59 pm by Tylui »

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 10:11:53 pm »

Stare around at the people beside me, see if I can figure out if I know any of them.
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 10:40:49 pm »

Ask the bartender for the hangover cure.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Paranatural

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 10:44:09 pm »

Convert these heathens to Smurg, the Lord Of Flies!
The corpses appear to be primarily concentrated under the dead cat.  - Untelligent
Mental Health 6/6. You easily comfort yourself knowing that Paranatural's Hot Stubble And Deliciously Unwashed Armpits will be  waiting for you whatever happens.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 10:55:49 pm »

Guys, we're full. We already have 6 players, and, sorry, but nether of you have hosted a RTD where Frelock was a player.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 11:22:27 pm »

No, but you have and that puts at least one of them in the game, possibly. Also, Frelock used to play Meta-Slature back in the day; me being the "gm". That COULD have become an RTD... >_>

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 11:41:13 pm »

Heh, not quite, but I'll let Paranatual in for GM'ing a Mafia game, and Derm just cause I'm a nice guy.  If 8 people get to be too much, I'll just have to creatively kill you off ;).  However, any other non-GM's will have to go on a waiting list.  Now, since the first turn is always the fastest, let's get this ball rolling.

Turn the First:
Order some more of whatever it is, it could be useful later
|  You groggily stumble over to the bar, but it appears the barkeep is nowhere to be found.  You take a seat on a barstool and rest your head on the bar.

Look around the floor for a (magical) wand or a ring.
| You open your eyes, and through the dim light peeking through the cracks in the woodwork, manage to find a small ring made of what appears to be a flower's stem.  Doesn't seem too sturdy, but you put it on anyways.

Dance my hangover away.
| You stand up, and though your splitting hangover keeps you from remembering anything else, you do remember that exercise is good for getting the blood moving and curing hangovers!  You thus break out in an impromptu interpretive dance, and though there's no music, you still look pretty good.  You call it “A Salute to the Sun and Denouncement of the Devil of Drink.”  Surprisingly enough, it gets your blood moving to the point where you don't have a hangover anymore.  You still can't remember anything, though...

Run outside and throw up. Then investigate my surroundings.
| You wake up, and don't even have time to stand up before you're heaving on the floor near the fireplace.  There's not much in there, but you still manage a good puddle.  The tavern keeper, attracted by the sound, comes out and starts yelling at you, demanding that you pay for this mess or clean it up yourself.  Of course, numerous stains on the floor imply that this happens all the time, so you just collapse back down in your own puke and moan.

Stand up; see if I have a mustache. If not, make a mustache out of a broom and don it proudly.
|You stand up, and wipe your mouth in an attempt to get rid of the vile taste from the night before.  While your hand is on your upper lip, you feel a slight tingle of hair.  It appears you do have a mustache, but it's not extraordinary impressive.

Stare around at the people beside me, see if I can figure out if I know any of them.
| You're still feeling slightly out of it from the hangover, but through the daze, you think you recognize most of the people around you.  Or at least, names pop into your head.  The fellow sitting at the bar is Wolfchild, the chap putting on a plant ring is Tarran, the interesting dancer is Quarr, the poor drunk laying in a puddle of his own vomit is Flintus, the gentleman with the mustache is Tyuli, the man talking with the bartender is Dermonster, and the crazy is Paranatural.  You can't seem to remember anything more about them, except that they are all reasonably good company while intoxicated.  Oh, and you remember that your name is Tehstefan, though you can't quite remember how to pronounce it.

Ask the bartender for the hangover cure.
| You go over to the bartender, and ask him for a cure for a hangover.  He laughs, “Considering how much you boys drank last night, I suppose you definitely need that, cheechako.”  Giving a dirty look towards Flintus, he walk back over to the bar and begins mixing something out of sight.  He hands you a wooden mug full of some black liquid substance.  “This'll cure anything ya got.  Just don't ask what's in it.”

Convert these heathens to Smurg, the Lord Of Flies!
| You get up on a table and begin preaching the virtues of worshipping Smurg, Lord of the Flies!  Every heathen in the room is converted.  Unfortunately, there appear to only be civilized(though that is slightly stretching the definition of the word), god-fearing men in this room.  The bartender looks over at you and asks, “What, are you still drunk?  Get down off there afore you hurt yourself!”

Spoiler: Wolfchild (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tarran (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Quarr (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Flintus (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tyuli (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tehstefan (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dermonster (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Paranatural (click to show/hide)

Also, a few notes:
Any action attempting to remember your specific past will likely fail, though trying to remember more about a specific item/other person/place may succeed. 
Also, this is a psudo-serious RTD.  Crazy actions can and will succeed if the dice demand it, and I don't mind having an insane action every once in a while, but try to keep it overall on the level.
I will challenge myself to use Dictionary.com's word of the day in each turn.  Small bonuses may apply if you're the first to spot it and define it.
First one who can tell me correctly what PUC stands for gets a single use +2 to any action.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 11:49:43 pm by Frelock »
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PUC RTD: Turn 1 (GM's can still apply)
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 11:50:37 pm »

Ask the barkeeper for anything that might lessen, or end my hangover.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 11:52:43 pm »

Pinch nose, close eyes, chug.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 11:53:50 pm »

Curl up for a second or two and expel all poisons from my body, then change into my spare cloths, it'l be needed
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17