Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Everyone should watch this: Fat people, Americans, friends- it's how you'll die.  (Read 1454 times)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile

http://www.ted.com/talks/jamie_oliver.html

Paraphrased: "We're so obsessed with homicide and terrorism when all of us are dying of heart disease and obesity and related fatness diseases from not knowing about food."

Discuss.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 07:15:25 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

rawr359

• Bay Watcher
  • dude
    • View Profile

Actually I'm going to die from homicidal terrorists.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm going to parachute onto a helicopter, with a large pyre boat below to catch my chunks. Chunky viking funeral.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

I want to watch the rest of it, but something about the TED website makes the video quit every 2 to 3 mins. Pretty damn annoying.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile

I really think things like this are purely alarmist bullcrap with the intent to scare people, and therefore change the society. this is something I take into my own hands. it is utterly and completely retarded to say that we shouldn't fight terrorists, if we are unhealthy, they can kill more people than those diseases do if you put a bomb in the center of new york.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile

I really think things like this are purely alarmist bullcrap with the intent to scare people, and therefore change the society. this is something I take into my own hands. it is utterly and completely retarded to say that we shouldn't fight terrorists, if we are unhealthy, they can kill more people than those diseases do if you put a bomb in the center of new york.
Right, you know how I know you didn't watch a second of it? ;)

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile

it is utterly and completely retarded to say that we shouldn't fight terrorists
That is completely unrelated to the video and this thread. The guy in the video certainly didn't say that, at least not in this video.

[PPE:] AAAAAND NINJAED
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think the point is that we are devoting many times the resources it would take to fix issues that are hurting us, in order to go after something that can hurt us.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I do think more money should go into making the public aware of things like sex ed, (apparently some schools don't do that? Why? My school is Catholic and we go pretty damn in-depth. And yeah, that includes pro safe-sex talks) unhealthy behavior and food and disease prevention. I hope it will, and soon.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

(apparently some schools don't do that? Why?

Because sex is evil, and if you tell kids it is ever a good idea they'll hold orgies in the gym, according to my school. In addition, all unmaried people have STD's and all married people do not, because you have to become one through marriage. Despite this obviously biblical referance, the film they show claims to be secular for showing in public schools. Oh, and all STD's will kill you, while none can be cured ever.

Besides the gym orgie thing, everything I typed there is almost word-for-word from the single tape that made up our sex ed class.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(apparently some schools don't do that? Why?

Because sex is evil, and if you tell kids it is ever a good idea they'll hold orgies in the gym, according to my school. In addition, all unmaried people have STD's and all married people do not, because you have to become one through marriage. Despite this obviously biblical referance, the film they show claims to be secular for showing in public schools. Oh, and all STD's will kill you, while none can be cured ever.

Besides the gym orgie thing, everything I typed there is almost word-for-word from the single tape that made up our sex ed class.

Again, my school is heavily Catholic (we have our own chapel) and yet we've spent two years on and off about the subject, a lot of which was safe-sex and why it's a damn good idea.

Why are public schools more starch-collar Christian then the starched collared Christians?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

I think it may be more of an geographic thing. I spent grade 6 in a K-12 lutheran school, and grades 7-8 in a middle and high non-denominational christian school, but both of them (illegaly) skipped out on even their abstinence programs. The public schools willingly go along with the abstinence programs, however.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

'Fat people will die to fat'
As is pretty much stated in the thread title, isn't entirely accurate.

People who are merely fat live longer than skinny people.

Obese people die alot quicker.

Get yer facts straight.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It sort of annoys me a little about how much focus people put in terrorists. I don't wtf they're teaching you in your countries, but I'm surprised how many people actually think that terrorists are capable of overthrowing their government. What I really hate is those tourism advice sites, which point out that every non-white country has "a threat of terrorism".

There's plenty of worse, preventable things. My main beef is with car accidents. Just drive safely and you prevent them. But I see people everywhere speeding, driving with one hand, driving while text messaging, driving while drowsy. What's worse is all the people who insist that they have freedom and not even wear seatbelts while doing that sort of thing.

Obesity on the other hand is a very preventable disease. You don't even have to not eat. You don't even really have to exercise. You just have to avoid eating unhealthy stuff. It is harder than it seems, though. A bit of a failure of capitalism when you're encouraging people to buy things that will kill them.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.
Pages: [1] 2