Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How do you get started in a Freezing embark point?  (Read 1815 times)

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do you get started in a Freezing embark point?
« on: August 05, 2010, 06:13:30 pm »

I can't figure out a reasonable way to get past a year or so without what I consider excessive metagaming/cheating.  I guess you could scope the whole environment with a map reveal tool and carefully drill straight for the water while avoiding the bad stuff, but when I do it legit I always get smushed.  I don't see how you can get a farm going at all until you break into the caverns, and when I break into the caverns we get massacred (if we haven't already died of thirst because there's nothing to drink, even though I took 80+ drink in with me)

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do you get started in a Freezing embark point?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 06:34:19 pm »

forget medical equipment, and use the extra to bring about 160+ booze, the first time i played a glacier i forgot the migrants now come in summer and fall, i died of thirst before the caravan...
No animals
No ax's
A pick for every miner
No seeds, unless you want something other than plump helmet
just make shure you can last till the caravan, theyll bring you food and booze, and so will the elves, just buy them both out of every consumable item, and strengthen your fortress, line the entrance from the caverns with traps, never fully live in them until you think you can handle it, and be shure to wall yourself off, this prevents the stupid things from causing trouble, and only the flying things would then be able to get in, unless you cover it and seal off the opening...

I would have to say that glaciers are one of the hardest places to live, even deserts are better cause of the soil layers, and the occational saguaro or even the chance of a river.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 06:51:35 pm »

Scorching type areas are trivial by comparison, if you're quick to grab any pools before they dry up - Freezing just mashes me over and over :/

I guess I can try to turtle through the period with no drink-making capacity, thanks for the advice.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 06:53:42 pm »

Here ya go.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63151.msg1457946#msg1457946
This method works for getting a farm started quite quickly in a glacier. once you got the farm goin, freezing embarks aren't that much different from normal ones.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 06:54:02 pm »

you don't need water.

there should be plants under the snow that are easily harvested, so you can make booze. also milking works now  :)
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 06:58:54 pm »

Plants under the snow, what's this?  Like with an herbalist

Saposhiente

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENGINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 07:11:43 pm »

That's when you're in a freezing place but with no glacier. It's one zone towards the equator.
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
You misspelled 'hilarious'
Fun

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 07:35:32 pm »

The cave in/ice cube technique sounds very dwarven, I'll give that a go!

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 07:36:33 pm »

I've only embarked on a freezing zone once before, but it didn't cause me any issues. All I did was harvest plants topside and brew them. I also made finding the first cavern layer a priority; once you do that, you can easily find a lake and use that as a source of water.

I guess it's possible I just got lucky though...

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 07:57:26 pm »

A new chapter of dwarven history begins here at this place, Oggembish, "Clubseals".  Strike the earth!
Couldn't really ask for much better...
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 08:03:10 pm by FleshForge »

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 08:50:27 pm »

Huh, I did the aforementioned "plug drop" well but I did it my own way - dug down about 5, then dug a well with channel 5x5 3 deep and made a stairway back up, and then went back up to 2 deep and dug out a 7x7 square, and then channeled down in a square around the "plug" of ice one level at a time until it slipped into the well, perfectly safely.  Now that I understand this technique I don't see any reason not to just do a whole (large) farm field this way?

edit: oh well oops, unpaused after the plug popped in and it instantly melted - KO'd Urist McChannelgoober who falls in the well and is drowning.  Oopsie!

edit2: never mind he's made of sterner stuff than a bit of nonalcoholic thin wet stuff, he's fine
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 08:54:04 pm by FleshForge »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 09:32:42 pm »

Never embarked on a glacier, but would digging down to the underground caverns be a good strategy to survive this kind of region ?

Underground caverns having always areas covered in mud would be a good place for farms and there's usually always some water in there.
Though there are dangerous animals down there, so would have to find a way to create protected areas.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 09:49:05 pm »

Sure but wouldn't it be nice to just create a safe area to prepare in and THEN go smash the downstairs neighbors?  :)
Project Farmsplash is about 40% done, I'll come back in a bit with results.

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 09:49:27 pm »

Note that if you're super-paranoid (as I am) about keeping out the cavern critters, it is possible to box off a section of the cavern for farming without ever opening it.  Assuming you've already revealed the caverns (either by making a fortification to reveal it, or by digging downstairs into it and immediately flooring over them), find a good flat rectangle of cavern ground where the roof is as close as possible to the ground.  Then, out a dig a box in the rock above the cavern, as many Z-levels tall as the cavern roof is above the ground.  Like this (side view):
Code: [Select]
################
###    ##    ###
### W #### W ###
### W #### W ###
### W #### W ###
###____##____###
###          ###
###          ###
###  cavern  ###
################

When you release the "cage" (walls marked W in the picture) it will punch through the floors and immediately seal the section of the cavern, like this:
Code: [Select]
################
###    ##    ###
###   ####   ###
###   ####   ###
###   ####   ###
###_ __##__ _###
### W      W ###
### W farm W ###
### W here W ###
################

Then you can construct stairs down into the walled off chamber, or find another route down and dig up into it.
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 09:55:28 pm »

very nice idea and concept, that's something i will have to try.
Pages: [1] 2