Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: worn out clothes  (Read 1563 times)

intently

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
worn out clothes
« on: August 05, 2010, 03:17:41 pm »

Will dwarves ever discard the worn out clothes that they're wearing?  Will they eventually rot off their bodies?  Will the dwarves pick up new clothes?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: worn out clothes
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 03:21:52 pm »

No. I assume so, if they don't discard them. Yes.

Note that clothes made from the special blue stuff also wear out.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

intently

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 03:35:18 pm »

So should I somehow force them to take the clothes off before they rot?  That's a lot of micro.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 03:43:54 pm »

Well, they don't "rot", in that they don't produce miasma. They do generate a minor unhappy thought(at clothes wearing out), but usually a good swig of booze can counteract that. So you can simply just let them wear out, and keep producing more, or simply let them run about in the buck(no unhappy thoughts about that).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Funtimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 03:47:08 pm »

or simply let them run about in the buck(no unhappy thoughts about that).

Possibly happy thoughts if breezes are introduced.  ;)

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 03:53:44 pm »

I had this happen in a recent fort.  One of my legendary miners let all his clothes fall off until he was wearing nothing but his copper pick.

He then proceeded to organize a party...nobody attended, based on what I saw in the units screen. 
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 04:03:20 pm »

My mayor is currently dressed in a tattered cloak and a sock.  He seems happy enough.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 04:19:22 pm »

My mayor is currently dressed in a tattered cloak and a sock.  He seems happy enough.

The only well-dressed dwarves in my fort are in the military...we're like North Korea.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 11:49:59 pm »

I've actually had dwarves replace worn out clothing when there is an abundant supply of replacements. Of course, my supply was the personal effects of the victims of the tantrum spiral, but still. On inspection, it looked like they were wearing two of everything until the old stuff fell apart. Kindof like reverse molting.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 02:21:07 am »

I've actually had dwarves replace worn out clothing when there is an abundant supply of replacements. Of course, my supply was the personal effects of the victims of the tantrum spiral, but still. On inspection, it looked like they were wearing two of everything until the old stuff fell apart. Kindof like reverse molting.

I just wish they'd pick up what they own and wear it!  or store it without having to build a bunch of bedrooms with coffers, grr.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

The Yellow Peril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 04:47:56 am »

Having a fortress of naked dwarves is the best - the Elves visited once and had a very uncomfortable trading session, for the most part was spent with their backs against the wall. They never returned.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2010, 06:56:29 am »

I vaguely remember all kinds of stuff in the 31.x patch notes about dwarves organizing their personal belongings, acquiring new clothing once naked, trimming beard and other tissues, and more. But as far as I can tell, absolutely none of this functions. Dwarves still behave exactly as they did in 40.x versions. They run around wearing the same clothes they arrived with until they rot away to rags and disappear entirely, after which the dwarves walk around naked no matter how much clothing you own or how cold it is. The military still leaves their civilian shit and other owned items all over the place, and you can't dump it, forbid it, or get it moved anywhere. Like I said, from first-hand gameplay experience, it seems to me that nothing has changed since the 40.x versions in this regard. Slobs.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2010, 07:03:25 am »

Ye gods, I pictured a dwarf wearing the sock. JUST THE SOCK. AGH.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2010, 10:16:00 am »

Ye gods, I pictured a dwarf wearing the sock. JUST THE SOCK. AGH.

That's not what I was thinking, but I am now.  Thanks.  Thanks a lot.

It begs the question: how is he keeping it on?  Of course, he is happy...
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2010, 04:38:48 pm »

I've noticed on numerous occasions that threadbare clothes are marked for dumping .. when I havent told them to be dumped.

So I think the dwarves can handle themselves... i THINK..
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.
Pages: [1] 2