Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: books, scrolls, scriptures, and other documents  (Read 942 times)

plstcflsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
books, scrolls, scriptures, and other documents
« on: August 05, 2010, 12:45:34 pm »

another thought i had in reply to the upcoing guilds & sects additions. my limitless apologies if this has already been harked on a million times.

imagine if word spread through the DF world via documents and scriptures. these documents could affect gameplay, and be attached to various 'ideology' RAWs, hopefully in a way to add more dynamics than tantrum spirals and noble mandates.

a dwarf could make an artifact document, a manifesto for a new guild/sect. this guild/sect would favor a certain ideolgy, maybe one that is a minority in the fort at the time. but the existence of an artifact could give the guild/sect credibility and increase popularity/membership.

altho at the end of the day i dont see this much more than opening "tech trees" and "social trees." but it might be an interesting and effective way of quantizing ideologies, to track their inception, spread, and decline; based on how many dwarfs or other creatures adopt said ideologies.

again, my apologies if this horse has been beaten to death

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: books, scrolls, scriptures, and other documents
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 01:44:09 pm »

This would actually require a new workshop branch. Dwarves don't have paper.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 01:49:55 pm »

Paper and books and libraries and putting records or technologies or the ability to get skills from the books or whatever have all been pretty much talked to death for years now, yes. (It's in the wiki article as one of the most heavily suggested topics.)

You can use the search function in the top right of the screen to search for topics, so if you're worried that something has been suggested before, you can search for it, and see.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

plstcflsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 01:51:15 pm »

indeed i searched, i was going to bump an old topic but it told me it was older than 120 and to start anew

plstcflsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 01:52:42 pm »

i'm most interested in them as vessels for ideology.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 02:01:44 pm »

There's nothing wrong with ressurecting a suggestion thread if you want to add to it.  That warning is just for conversational threads.

Anyway, you'd have to specify what an ideology would be in game terms to say you'd want books to contain ideologies.

As for "tech trees", keep in mind that technology upgrades are very ill suited for a simulation of medieval life.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 06:46:14 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

edit: whoops. just noticed the whole "talked to death" thing.
well. nevermind then
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

plstcflsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 10:10:11 pm »

i hadn't read those points, this would function identically.

in addition to being cool loot, they could teach skill in the fort, either directly in modifying skill stats; they modify the function of different guild/sect types. and perhaps those could be arranged in a tech tree type, 'this guild before that' sort of thing.