Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Paranoia Fortress Idea  (Read 1225 times)

deoxys413

• Bay Watcher
  • Space. It's quiet, too quiet...
    • View Profile
Paranoia Fortress Idea
« on: August 05, 2010, 08:23:05 am »

While being introduced to the RPG called Paranoia a few months back. The way Alpha Complex was described to me, a subterranean dome filled with Fun, psychotic people all color coded for your convenience. While the description for the game on my end is a bit lacking, basically picture a 1950's mindset Dwarf Fortress.

It didn't re-occur to me until just a moment ago, but with a few simple word replacements (i.e. Elf = Communist, ect.) and perhaps modding in a few more large cluster colored stones (like orthoclase or microcline, just with the other 7 colors involved) I think this would be very doable.

The only catch is can the military kill order work on friendlies or will the 'zapping' consist of spike traps and magma as per DF protocol?

Otherwise, what do you the community think of it?
WATER is the universal solvent.
MAGMA is the universal solution.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Paranoia Fortress Idea
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 08:33:22 am »

paranoia and DF? The insanity will be ridiculous. I like it.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 08:35:48 am »

How will you model mutant powers?
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 08:39:19 am »

You can't make the elves communist, that would make them an actual outside potential threat to your community.

To make a real Paranoia fortress, you have to wipe out all other races - the whole point of Paranoia is that there is no outside threat against which people must rally. The only threat comes from within.

Communists are such a threat because they crawl amidst the ranks of your dwarves, and your dwarves must be tasked with destroying them.

(And of course, all dwarves are Communist.)

Also, you should make many, many castes with strange superpowers, and make these "mutants".  Mutants are traitors, because they show that something strange is going on with their unnatural selection, and that would be proof that Your Friend Computer (A.K.A. Armok, A.K.A. You) was doing something wrong.

(And of course, all dwarves are Mutants.)

Dwarves must also be on the lookout for secret societies.  They are insidious and treacherous because they imply loyalty to something other than Your Friend Computer.

(And of course, all dwarves are members of a Secret Societies that war with other Secret Societies.)

The two major problems with making a Paranoia DF is that dwarves are... well... Happy Communists, and proud.  Dwarves happily share the fruits of their labors with bums who idle and party all day year, while short-sighted greed and a willingness to kill to get ahead or just for fun is the hallmark of Alpha Complex.

The other is that you aren't just some low-level grunt (unless you're an Adventurer), you're the mastermind of the whole operation, Your Friend Computer, and you have all the power.  Part of what makes it Paranoia is that you have to kill and betray your own supposed teammates and allies to save your own skin, especially because they were going to kill and betray you if you didn't get them first.  (That's why it's called Paranoia, after all...)  When you're invincible, and nobody can touch you, and you're just struggling to keep the psychotic little twerps from murdering too many of the important ones, then the game has an entirely different flavor.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 08:44:47 am »

Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

deoxys413

• Bay Watcher
  • Space. It's quiet, too quiet...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 09:39:14 am »

How will you model mutant powers?

Castes.
I think that secret societies would be based off of the deity the dwarf warships (level of warship determines threat level), mutant powers off something else in the profile, and for clones use a 'three six strike' system before the dwarf is put out of commission for good
WATER is the universal solvent.
MAGMA is the universal solution.