Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Do dwarves dream?  (Read 2607 times)

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
Do dwarves dream?
« on: August 05, 2010, 02:37:53 am »

It wasn't too long ago when my fort of 7 just had an ogre attack.
Although my dwarves took care of the ogres pretty easily, one of them was heavily wounded.
Don't have a pick of this, but the injured dwarf was named Kubuk Shederal, mason and is currently in extreme pain with a broken left lower leg. The dwarf is unconcious, and even though all the ogres are dead, I'm still getting spam messages of mason cancels rest: interrupted by Ogre.

So the only logical opinion I can think of for the cause of this is that my little mason is hallucinating and having nightmares about the ogres that attacked her.

So anyone else have the same experience?

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do dwarves dream?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 02:46:30 am »

Don't think they dream... but that would be an interesting addition to the game to see a description in their profiles of what dorfs dream about.

Heck, I'd think it could be woven into the game nicely. You know how dwarves are taken by a mood at random? How about them having a chance of being taken by moods while sleeping, inspired by their dreams to make stuff. But of course, dwarves would need to beware the bogey dwarf lurking beneathe their beds...

But yeah, that spam is probably the dorf getting hung up on the ogre somehow.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 03:10:52 am »

So anyone else have the same experience?
I'm having exactly the same problem. One of my woodcutters was ambushed by Goblins, and incapacitated by a crossbow bolt. No-one will go pick him up and drag him inside, and he's spamming "Cancels Rest, Interrupted by Goblin Maceman" messages... even though the Goblins are all dead or fled.
Never pet a burning dog.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 03:14:19 am »

That spam is a bug, it's been there since 40d, was there when i started playing.
Giving dwarves dreams is a great suggestion though, especially if it affected their mood slightly when it was particularly horrifying/nice, and having things like just strange, nonsensical dreams or not being able to remember a dream properly/at all, dreams being influenced by recent events/their past/likes and dislikes etc... dreams are weird :P

Urist mcnugget has been fine lately. He had a horrible dream involving the loss of Urist mcnugget's left lower arm, right upper arm, right upper leg, and upper left leg recently.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 03:17:55 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Thadius

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:homemade coffee]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 03:16:22 am »

I had the same problem once.  Hunter went after a unicorn...thaaaaaaaat didn't work so well.  It sorta hurt half his body to the point where he was passing out due to the pain.  Eventually he dragged himself back to his bed, and another hunter got a lucky shot at the same unicorn, killing it.

For as long as it took him to heal, I imagine that my first hunter kept waking up in cold sweats in the middle of the night/day/cycle screaming about 'THAT BLOODY UNICORN IS OUT FOR ME BLOOD!'  It was the only way I could explain his 'Urist McDelusional cancels rest: Interrupted by Unicorn' spam that he suffocated me with.
If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves from their cages, that's still somehow your fault.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 05:34:48 am »

No-one will come and collect my freaking-out, wounded "Cancel-spam" dwarf... so I'm going to cave-in the ground underneath him to bring him inside. Look on the bright side... if he dies in the cave-in, that  will at least stop the Cancel-spam, which makes the game almost unplayable. Adding up the notifications in the Announcement-log, he's screamed more than 15,000 times so far, and no-one is coming to bring him in.
Never pet a burning dog.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 05:36:00 am »

My dwarf stopped spamming messages after I removed the hospital.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 05:39:08 am »

My dwarf stopped spamming messages after I removed the hospital.
My Dwarf isn't IN the Hospital... he's still lying out in front of my fort, right where he was injured.

EDIT: My bad, you are correct... removing the hospital zone fixed the problem... and replacing it afterwards did not cause the problem to recurr.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 06:08:46 am by blue emu »
Never pet a burning dog.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 09:27:33 am »

This definitely sounds like a bug... I'm not sure if this bug has been reported before (the bug tracker is difficult for me to use searches on), but if you have a save where this problem persists, put it up on DFFD, and report it: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/bug_report_page.php
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 09:29:49 am »

This bug has been around since 21.40 (and presumably earlier), and should be reported.

Edit: Yeah, it's there.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 09:34:15 am by 3 »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 09:50:09 am »

If either of you have a save with the bug in effect, though, and can upload it, and post it in that thread, it might still be of use, though.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 10:15:52 am »

Lol, so it was a bug. And I thought it was some sort of hidden dream mechanic which only occurred after an unconscious dwarf had just received trauma.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 10:41:37 am »

So wait, dwarf PTSD is a bug?

Then again, I've never seen it myself, most of my soldier dwarf have been "feeling ecstatic lately" after they "enjoyed a truly decadent drink recently, admired a legendary dining room recently, slept in a comfortable bed recently" and "took joy in slaughter recently" of the gobbo who cut down the rest of his squad right in front of him as he struggled to limp over after taking an arror to the foot. And then we placed the survivors of that goblin attack in a spike-filled chamber to endure the miasma of their rotting comrade's corpses, before being spiked in the groin repeatedly until they bled to death.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Kietharr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 10:44:27 am »

Yes. Dwarves dream of magmatic sheep for their warm, soft wool.

beef623

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 11:04:46 am »

Reinjuring them seems to work too. Just cause a very small collapse right over his head and someone will come haul him off.
Pages: [1] 2