Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: inspiration  (Read 1263 times)

detsuo04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
inspiration
« on: August 05, 2010, 01:47:28 am »

I was hoping some of you could help inspire my next fortress.  my last fortress was before the 31 seires and was inspired by circles.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-8721-assaultworked

I am starting to get the hang of the new version and im ready to make a major fortress.  Thanks for your imput

Hellfish

• Bay Watcher
  • Just struck earth
    • View Profile
Re: inspiration
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 02:05:18 am »

Do like me and embark near a river/ocean in order to cast an obsidian monolith in tribute to Arthur C. Clarke. Kept me busy for six forts now :P
Up a floor? Why do I have to go up a floor, I'm just trying to empty my bucket on the floor here!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 02:08:06 am »

Carve a giant dwarf, and have inscriptions of dwarves on his armor, and have your dwarves live within it.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

leftycook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 04:07:54 am »

build an aboveground fort out of stone blocks, but no two touching blocks can have the same colour.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 04:10:28 am »

try to work with triangles or try to live without farming.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 05:06:03 am »

try to work with triangles or try to live without farming.

Pump a magma lake into the sky, and make obsidian meteors rain on anything that enter the map.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 05:50:35 am »

wow, you know your map archive made me realize, i do not do ANY of the epic exploratory mining that was necessary in 40d anymore. ore is just so readily available, and if you hit the caverns all you need to do is walk around and check the walls for what you want.

im not sure whether i like that or not. i can now understand why my miners are constantly idle in the current version. in 40d they were allways out looking for more ore, gems and coal. now its much easier to find.

your circle-fu is pretty nice. try and take the same concept and get more epic with it. also, most of the tilesets now have the smooth round edges thing going, so try out those. also, did you designate by hand, or with a program?

i went a little nuts with the central circle idea in what is probably my largest fort - http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-5254-friendlyworks

check the lower living and storage areas. i went pretty crazy there, had to housesit a friends place for 2 days to keep their pets from dying, and had not much else to do. everything designated by hand, and all slightly asymetrical as a result.

other option is to attempt some kind of very large aboveground construction. best to embark on the edge of a mountain and let the terrain inspire you. some kind of tower, or bridge, or castle. also, i have yet to see any good megaprojects involving the caverns, although im sure there are a few lurking around on the forums.

and browse the map archives. i allways find whenever ive done something i feel proud of, i find something on that site that floors me and puts me to shame. its a great place for getting ideas on completely new ways of laying out a fortress.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 01:10:15 pm »

this Fortress is brought to you by the number 7, and by donations from players like you.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 01:23:12 pm »

The cities in Heroes of Might and Magic are my main source of inspiration.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=61010.msg1383642#msg1383642
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 04:41:20 pm »

The cities in Heroes of Might and Magic are my main source of inspiration.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=61010.msg1383642#msg1383642

Shoot, I was hoping you were going to build a HOMM3 Dungeon or Inferno town.  HOMM5 is too late for me.  ;)
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

detsuo04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 08:07:30 pm »

mister cat your fortress is inspired sir.  No i draw my forts freehand but in the new version I'm having a tad bit of trouble getting going

Thanks for the input

Glech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 09:49:54 pm »

How about you use the designs of the Legend of Zelda dungeons to build your forts?

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 09:59:50 pm »

Speaking of old videogames. you can try basing a fort on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wfegtv4fEm4&feature=related this. it seems a very dwarfy song (and game) to me. *I* certainly intend to build a tetris fort now.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Inspiration

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2010, 02:10:02 pm »

You called?

Also, you could try to make a fort without any military dwarves. That's the best way I've found to think of super-crazy defense mechanisms.