Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is it possible to get by without wood?  (Read 1808 times)

johnny_cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is it possible to get by without wood?
« on: August 04, 2010, 10:32:50 pm »

I'm on a very sparsely forested map and at this particular stage of my fortress, I cannot afford to use wood to make fertilizer/fuel/furniture. I've found a vein of bituminous coal.

My wood stockpiles are running fairly low, but I need to keep churning out barrels or my dwarves will start getting pissy about having to drink from the well and we'll eventually run out of seeds.

I just don't like having to rely on wood considering how much of a limited resource it is. Can I make coke from bituminous coal using the coal as the fuel?

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to get by without wood?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 10:36:21 pm »

Yes, but you need to make one charcoal piece first to start smelting coal and after that you can just use the coke you produce.  Or you can dig for the magma and set up a smelting operation with magma workshops. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

johnny_cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 10:44:39 pm »

Yes, but you need to make one charcoal piece first to start smelting coal and after that you can just use the coke you produce.  Or you can dig for the magma and set up a smelting operation with magma workshops.

Thank you. I was hoping that would be the answer. Than my problem is that I don't have enough furnace operators.

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 11:14:54 pm »

Note that you can make bins and barrels out of metal, if the economics of your fort are such that metal and fuel are less valuable than wood. They're heavier, so they might take slightly longer to haul, but they're also more resistant to vermin, unless that changed with the material rewrite.
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 11:23:59 pm »

The only things you need wood for are Beds and windmills/waterwheels (which you shouldn't have massive demand for).  Everything else can be made with metal bars or stone (though note that while bins/barrels/etc take only one metal bar, it's apparently a bug... it's meant to cost 3 bars.  so that might hit you in the nads in the future).

Finally, if you're low on wood, caravans will automatically arrive with lots of it to trade. 
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 11:30:09 pm »

Of course, there's always modding...

There have been numerous mods that make beds out of alternate materials, and there's nothing that's really cheating about making a stone bed that requires a pig tail mattress and animal pelt blanket if you happen to have much more of those than wood.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

That guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 11:40:25 pm »

Anyone can be made into a furnace operator, especially spare craftsdwarves. The skill just improves the speed.

Nibble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 03:40:18 am »

Why not just dig down to the caverns and harvest underground trees?

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 04:33:39 am »

Also, try using the Reserve Barrels option in the stockpile menu (where you place stockpiles, rather than 'q'ing on a stockpile).

This will reserve the number of barrels you specify for tasks which specifically use barrels (i.e. Brew Drink) as opposed to food/seed storage.  It will make your food stockpiles less condensed (until you make more barrels) but you won't run out of barrels for your booze.

It's not the perfect solution to your problem, but it's a solution, and one you can implement immediately without any additional outlay of labor or raw materials.

vogonpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 05:44:08 am »

Why not just dig down to the caverns and harvest underground trees magma?

Clearly more correct
Everything I know about reality, I learned from Dwarf Fortress.

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 05:55:41 am »

You can't make barrels, beds, buckets, crutches or splints out of magma, but yes, do both.
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 05:59:58 am »

Why not just dig down to the caverns and harvest underground trees magma?

Clearly more correct

Elves also get offended by chopping down tower caps. Thus, you can clearcut underground forests and piss off the elves, breaking your agreement with them to not cut down trees. This may provoke them enough to lay siege to your fortress.

Therefore, a lush forest is a good thing!

To clearcut.  :D

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 06:19:17 am »

Forests and seas are very good things indeed. And both can be used against elves.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Miko19

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 06:26:54 am »

There have been numerous mods that make beds out of alternate materials, and there's nothing that's really cheating about making a stone bed that requires a pig tail mattress and animal pelt blanket if you happen to have much more of those than wood.
You maybe have a manual for making beds from metal and stones? :P

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 07:04:03 am »

You maybe have a manual for making beds from metal and stones? :P

I don't have a manual but this is what google yielded http://www.google.nl/images?client=safari&rls=en&q=stone+bed&oe=UTF-8&redir_esc=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=jahaTLT6ItGVOMyx-LgP&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CCkQsAQwAA&biw=995&bih=642
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.
Pages: [1] 2