Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Team DwarfFortress 2  (Read 3108 times)

Xenxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Team DwarfFortress 2
« on: August 04, 2010, 09:18:34 pm »

Basically I was on an irc chat with some friends and I mentioned something about dwarf fortress. Then one of the types in "TEAM DWARFFORTRESS 2" that gave me an idea. Sorry if this is the wrong forum but I wanted to discuss design ideas.

Basically Im going to be making a dwarven fortress style fort in Tf2 as a capture the flag map.

And I want suggestions.

Flooding chambers, traps, lava, and basically anything else you can think of.

So first Idea I had were 2 forts identical with a flag in it.
Second Idea was 1 Big fort (more true to dwarf fortress) with 2 flags in it 1 at the top and 1 at the bottom.

Maybe an attack/ Defend map where attackers attack the fortress and defenders defend it. Obviously no bridges or cage traps :P.

sorry if this is the wrong forum.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
Re: Team DwarfFortress 2
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 10:12:33 pm »

I would go with attack/defend. Even a professional would find it hard to properly balance an asymmetrical CTF map, and a whole lot of play-testing would be required to get the balance right. With an attack/defend map, you only have to balance it to the point that it's not a forgone conclusion.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 10:12:55 pm »

Attack/defend would be best. Classic goblin siege.

Also, you could totally do cage/weapon traps and stone traps and bridges and all sorts of awesome stuff. Depending on how silly you wanted it to be you could either add aesthetic looking traps or working traps with defending-team-side lever controls.

Also I would vote for a carp infested river.
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 10:29:07 pm »

Someone be a doll and post that image.

Xenxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 10:30:27 pm »

ooh carp infested river didnt think of that. And yes lots and lots of levers are planned. My source SDK just finished updating (haven't touched it in a while) Im gonna fire it up and see what I can do.

Im thinking of doing a blank black skybox and using default textures. I may use some custom ones If I need too.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 10:34:18 pm by Xenxe »

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 10:33:19 pm »

Should this happen, I would honestly race out and buy the game.

Lawec

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Goblinslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 02:02:37 am »

I will gladly test this map when you're done :D
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Jar of Jam

• Bay Watcher
  • [ITEM_FOOD:ITEM_FOOD_JAM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 04:40:12 am »

I suggest you to look at the pl_minecraft ( apparently it's now called pl_minepit ) and learn from all the mistakes you can make on blocky maps like that.

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 07:07:31 am »

Give it high quality textures, but make the architecture obviously blocky. :)
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 02:52:30 pm »

makes me wonder if custom hats on servers works correctly..
if it does, you could make a beard for each differant class, except the scout, who clearly needs to be an elf.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Melagius

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord and Master here
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 03:53:51 pm »

Don't do one flag at the top and one at the bottom. The attackers from above will have the advantage.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 04:23:31 pm »

Do attack/defend
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 06:32:46 pm »

Oooo, this sounds like it could become rather fun! I'd be willing to help in whatever way I can (I've never used the TF2 map creator, but I'd like to learn how to).

Do you have an overall idea for the layout?
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 08:32:24 pm »

Include a self-resetting magma flushing tunnel with a row of pressure plates. Anyone who steps on them has a second or two to run away *FAST* before the drawbridges go up and the whole hallway fills with magma for a minute or so.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 09:27:02 pm »

Eyelander, skullcutter, and huntsman only weapons allowed. And maybe Heavy fists.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.
Pages: [1] 2