Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strange mood problem  (Read 1262 times)

captduck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Strange mood problem
« on: August 04, 2010, 06:53:49 pm »

So I have a metalsmith who's claimed a magma forge to make an artifact, but I can't figure out what he needs to begin construction.  When I 'q'uery the magma forge he says he must have body parts, rock, silk cloth, pig iron bars, cut gems, and plant cloth.  All of which seems like it should be available to him already.  I slaughtered a bull just for him so there are cow bones available, I have a small stockpile containing turtle shells and a couple mussel shells already, I made 8 pig iron bars, I have bins and bins of rope reed fiber cloth, I have one or two bins of cave spider silk cloth I traded for, tons of cut gems of various types, and thousands of stone lying around.  I have stone in both block and raw form.

If I use 't' to look inside the magma forge I can see several items already there listed as task items.  He's already gathered a steel helmet, a single pig iron bars, a stray bull bone, and two topazolites.  Is it possible he needs a specific type of stone or something?  If I 'v'iew him and check his thoughts and preferences it says that he likes lignite, pig iron, tanzanite, and green glass.  I have lignite but it's currently configured as an economic stone and  it may also be the case that all the unused lignite is currently forbidden.  I don't think I have any tanzanite.  I do have raw green glass.  Is it possible he needs unforbidden lignite or cut green glass?  Can strange mood demands be that specific?  Is there something else I might be missing?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Strange mood problem
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 07:15:16 pm »

He will collect objects in the order he asks for them.  So if he is asking for:

Code: [Select]
body parts
rock
silk cloth
pig iron bars
cut gems
plant cloth

in that order, and he has collected:

pig iron bar
stray bull bone
topazolite
topazolite

in that order, we have a mismatch, which doesn't seem to make sense.  Are you sure you've listed the exact order he's asking for these things in?  The steel helmet shouldn't be part of any mood, are you sure he collected it?  And is he actually asking for pig iron specifically?  I've never known moods to be so helpful as to state the exact metal they need.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

captduck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 07:36:48 pm »

I did not list them in exact order, so that would probably be why there seems to be a mismatch there.

There are actually a lot of random armor pieces inside the forge that haven't been picked up.  I think all my armor stockpiles are already full and my soldiers apparently have all the gear they want.  In addition to the helm there are also about four steel high boots, a steel mail shirt, a steel pick, and a steel right gauntlet.  The steel helm is the only piece of armor with "TSK" in blue letters to the right of it in the list.  The other items I mentioned(bull bone, etc) also have the blue "TSK" next to them.

As for the pig iron request, I thought it was strange too, but he definitely says pig iron.
Here's the list in order:
body parts
cut gems
body parts
plant cloth
rock
silk cloth
pig iron bars
cut gems

One or two items might have wrapped around since it loops(ie that final cut gems might actually be the first request) but I'm pretty sure that's the list.  I should also mention this is what he wants after he's already gathered the items that are in the forge.  I didn't look at the list before he stopped gathering stuff.

Is it possible it's bugged somehow?  Could the helmet be a left over task item from a previous worker's job?  Since you asked about the list I now notice that body parts comes up more than once, maybe I need to slaughter a couple more animals.

captduck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 07:45:06 pm »

So if the pig iron was actually the first item, he could have grabbed that, then a topazolite, then the bull bone, then another topazolite, then get stuck waiting for more bones.  Does that sound right?  It didn't occur to me that items he already had might still show up in the list.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 08:00:08 pm »

He'll demand everything the artifact needs in order regardless of whether he has it or not, so objects he already has will still show up in the list.  And each demand can refer to multiple items of the same type.  So he might want more body parts (bones or shells) or he might still need more cut gems.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

captduck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 08:14:01 pm »

Aha!  That was it.  I slaughtered a mule and he went right back to gathering materials.  He ended up making a pig iron piccolo; studded with pig iron; decorated with cow bone and giant cave spider silk; encircled with mule bone, pig tail fiber, and diorite; and menacing with spikes of topazolite.  The item has an image of a five pointed start on it.  It's called "Cogtomus Bootshoves".  I checked the forge after he finished and the steel helm is gone.  I don't know what happened to it.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 09:49:08 pm »

I checked the forge after he finished and the steel helm is gone.  I don't know what happened to it.
It was tasked by a hauler (not by your Moody Dwarf), and stockpiled.
Never pet a burning dog.

captduck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 10:13:55 pm »

It was tasked by a hauler (not by your Moody Dwarf), and stockpiled.
Aha!  That makes sense.