Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Animal Healthcare - Possible?  (Read 2270 times)

Miko19

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Animal Healthcare - Possible?
« on: August 04, 2010, 05:07:33 pm »

Hello everyone. I'm just having a fine playthrough in the Wasteland. I have embarked in a "friendly" wastelander settlement. After some time passed, I started to kill off my "friends" and during one of the fights my war dog got pretty seriously beaten up. The dog will live and probably have puppies and stuff, but it's got a few broken bones and some other wounds. I've got a goodly supplied hospital set up, with 3 docs that aren't doing anything now, and I've been wondering if there's a way to have them take the dog and stitch it up (Doc Mitchell way [New Vegas :P])

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
Re: Animal Healthcare - Possible?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 05:09:51 pm »

I think the closest thing to animal healthcare would be butchery.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 05:13:35 pm »

You could activate the animal care labor on your doctors, but I've yet to see any dwarf give a damn about what happens to an animal that isn't their pet.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 05:17:39 pm »

I've had animals Get Better. Animal healthcare is a skill, after all.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 06:03:15 pm »

We'll be eating dog tonight!
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

Miko19

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 06:36:36 pm »

We'll be eating dog tonight!
I like your enthusiasm, but unfortunately itīs my best soldierīs pet plus the dog is actually almost fine after some time 0_0

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 06:45:33 pm »

You could activate the animal care labor on your doctors, but I've yet to see any dwarf give a damn about what happens to an animal that isn't their pet.

Does this mean that if it is their pets, they will give care to them?  Since I give my woodcutter dwarves most of my war dogs just in case they find a goblin ambush, does this mean I should enable their animal caretaker labor, and then send some of their pets through some wooden whip weapon traps to give them some veterenarian experience and build them up to where they could heal their pets later on?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 10:42:27 pm »

Animal caretaking is broken.

I tried enabling that job on EVERYONE to help one of the dogs. had all workshops too but nothing. nada. zip. NEINTHING! .. butcher's shop is the only thing that works.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 01:17:00 am »

Butcher shop does not heal animals, stop throwing that out as an option for animal care...

Animal care does not work at fixing the animal, it does however still train when near wounded animals, leading to some nice passive stat gain. you best bet is to try and boost the dogs toughness somehow, but I dont think that is possible without giving them the ability to learn.

Moddan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 01:54:24 am »

LIES, the butchery is the best healthcare for animals. A mercyful ending for them and protein for the miners.

Thadius

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:homemade coffee]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 02:02:07 am »

I think the best way to train animal healthcare, as quoted from what I can remember of Morul's Quest, is to assign one guy three wardogs, then chuck them off a small cliff.  1-2 levels.  After a time, the dogs will get better, and as such you'll need to chuck them off again.

Legendary Animal Caretaker could probably 'stitch' an animal back together in two weeks.  I say 'stitch' because it doesn't need supplies.

...Anyone else think that since now we have a doctor position, we should petition for a vet position?
If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves from their cages, that's still somehow your fault.

Miko19

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 06:25:44 am »

I think the best way to train animal healthcare, as quoted from what I can remember of Morul's Quest, is to assign one guy three wardogs, then chuck them off a small cliff.  1-2 levels.  After a time, the dogs will get better, and as such you'll need to chuck them off again.

Legendary Animal Caretaker could probably 'stitch' an animal back together in two weeks.  I say 'stitch' because it doesn't need supplies.

...Anyone else think that since now we have a doctor position, we should petition for a vet position?
Yeah, animals are dorfs too. Equally stupid and useless :)

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 07:33:12 am »

Dwarf Companion used to be the best way to heal animals, but no one has written a replacement for that function which works with 31.x.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Puriri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My LEGO MOCs
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 04:51:29 pm »

I remember something from somewhere but don't ask me where.

I think that if a wounded animal is near an animal care taker dwarf they'll heal the animal.

I think.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2010, 10:19:42 pm »

I have wounded pets crawling all over the floor of my fort and all their masters have animal care on.  I havent even found one that is a dabbling animal caretaker yet.  Im going to go out on a limb and say that in the current version animal caretaking is bugged.

Back in older versions I would cripple cats and chain them up at the doors of the fort and give all migrants animal caretaking,  buffs all around.  This stopped working many versions ago.

Later, all war dogs were crippled then assigned to masters with animal caretakeing.  Selective buffs.  This stopped working after 2010.
You cant throw assigned wardogs or pets into pits.  Spike and lever setups are the most reliable way to injure pets.  Also best to make sure the animals are good and hurt before you assign them.  Big pain to go to all the trouble of breaking the mules legs only to have it get better next month.

Short answer:  Animal caretaking doesnt work atm.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.
Pages: [1] 2