Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Keep elves from dying out?  (Read 1025 times)

Zokinin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Keep elves from dying out?
« on: August 04, 2010, 03:22:29 pm »

I've yet to have a worldgen that didn't kill the elves off in the first 100 years. All default settings in a small-sized region. I like exotic pets too much to just let them be dead. Anything I can mod that would make them a little more likely to survive?

EDIT: Preferrably without making them crush me because of my tree-cutting ways.

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Keep elves from dying out?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 04:29:20 pm »

now thats just odd, the only time i get extinct civ's is on an extreemly evil world, or pockets...

Edit: oh and for your problem, decrease the ammount of needed evil, or make more civs available

shoowop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 04:36:09 pm »

go into the raws and delete the [PUSSY] tags from the elves

Zokinin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 05:41:00 pm »

seems the dwarves were dead in this one too. oh well gotta start over now.

EDIT: Made two new worlds. First one, only humans and goblins were still around. Second one, humans were alone in the world.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 06:04:52 pm by Zokinin »

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 10:02:15 pm »

Oooo! what age was it? (in the one with humans only)

Zokinin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 11:00:05 pm »

Year was 1050. Not sure what you mean by age.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 11:13:19 pm »

Change their DAMBLOCK to something positive, and make them have children in larger groups and grow up faster. Perhaps increase their maximum population per settlement.

It can't completely compensate for wooden equipment, but you'll enjoy seeing five thousand elves attacking a few dozen enemies, and losing horribly.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

soul4hdwn

• Bay Watcher
  • make due with what you have
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 03:04:52 am »

Change their DAMBLOCK to something positive, and make them have children in larger groups and grow up faster. Perhaps increase their maximum population per settlement.

It can't completely compensate for wooden equipment, but you'll enjoy seeing five thousand elves attacking a few dozen enemies, and losing horribly.
there is no damblock tag for version 0.31.##

think there was another thread along this same topic of "elves are dying, help". http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=62405.0

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 10:55:43 am »

Well, acually, elves can compensate quite well for their wood. They're just weak to megabeasts. I've had a settlement with 2 elves that repelled more than 10 goblin attacks (which were pure dwarves). Their ultra-high attributes, immortality, and non-killing of each other lets them get legendary in everything. In a different world, their numbers helped slowly defeat the largest non-them civ, as it was a long series of battles saying:
"A: 4000 elves (200 losses) vs D: 2000 humans (150 losses)"
"Defender was victorious"
until the humans fled due to being unable to reproduce the losses from the battles (elves can reproduce them because of immortality)

The main reason they die is megabeasts. Dwarves are the epic against them, humans good, goblins idk, and elves... get pwned. Lower your cave number. Something else you can do is increase wood's MAX_EDGE number in material_template_default, that is quite evidently wrong considering the effectiveness of a real wooden weapon. A value of 1200 is better, and probably more realistic.

Vherkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 07:59:41 pm »

You can simply boost their starting number giving them a hedge at the start and giving them more chance to survive a megabeast attack early.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 08:08:55 pm »

Year was 1050. Not sure what you mean by age.

He means:

Age of Myth
Age of Legends
Age of Heroes
Age of Fairy Tales

Age of Dwarves
Age of Humans
Age of Elves
Age of Goblins

Age of [insert megabeast name here)
Age of the Two Powers
Age of the Three Powers

And so on. I've never seen a world pass Age of Myth during worldgen because of the current legendary prowess of megabeasts.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (