Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: "needs immobilization" for months  (Read 7497 times)

intently

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"needs immobilization" for months
« on: August 04, 2010, 02:57:50 pm »

Hello,

I've got a dwarf with a "smashed apart" injury on the third finger left hand nail.  On "treatment" it says "left hand \n needs immobilization".  He has previously been evaluated, cleaned, sutured, and had a dressing applied.

I've got a traction bench right next to his bed, where he's resting.  I've got splints.  I'm out of plaster now, but I've had doctors making casts for months with no problem. I've got an accomplished bone doctor, with the labor enabled. problem.

And yet, this guy has been laying around the hospital for months without healing!  How do I get my docs to immobilize him?

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "needs immobilization" for months
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 03:11:49 pm »

A little trick I use sometimes is to unbuild the bed beneath him and rebuild it.
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 03:35:23 pm »

yup, deconstructing whatever they're sitting on makes them prime bait to be rescued and chucked into a bed. then you just need splints and a doctor.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

intently

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 03:45:57 pm »

I deconstructed the bed and the bum went right back on duty!  Lazy dwarfs.  There should be a way to click a dwarf and reset all current behaviors/job to null and make the dwarf immediately recalculate whatever it's doing.

Thank you!

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 04:01:11 pm »

Yeah, I have dwarves running around with broken toes, I assume they'll fix themselves on their own. despite being red.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 04:08:10 pm »

I've not yet seen a dwarf suffer death after getting up from the hospital, even if injured. The only exception is infection. My theory is that dwarves can actually only get infections in the hospital from untreated wounds. Basically, if they get up and walk, they'll be fine. If they finish treatment and then walk off, they're in danger of old infections.

That's a rough estimate, by the way. Not necessarily true or really tested much.

Toast024

• Bay Watcher
  • Goes good with jam or butter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 04:26:12 pm »

I love how he needed immobilization FOR A BROKEN NAIL!
The learning curve of the df forums should be equal to that of df itself.

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 08:33:08 pm »

I'm not sure that infection works in 3.12

I upgraded from 3.10 and a few slightly injured dwarves instantly got infections. Two years later, they and other infectees are quite happily pottering around the fortress doing their beardy things.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 10:35:07 pm »

Some dwarves don't like the hospital.

I have no idea why, but, when some of my dwarves get wounded they just lie around. Let's take .. "Guro" is a prime example. He went and tantrumed and punched the captain of the guard - so the captain hit him over the head with his iron crossbow - fracturing the skull.

Guro just fell over and was miserable. He stayed that way, occassionally tantruming and being fed - in the middle of the corridor.. until the wound healed on its own and he went about his business as usual.

Another dwarf had his leg broken in two places but went back to work anyway. He was a soldier and kept working for almost 2 years before suffering a broken arm at the hands of goblins - so now he felt he had to go to the hospital and they patched up his leg in the same go.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 12:13:51 am »

Some dwarves don't like the hospital.

I have no idea why, but, when some of my dwarves get wounded they just lie around. Let's take .. "Guro" is a prime example. He went and tantrumed and punched the captain of the guard - so the captain hit him over the head with his iron crossbow - fracturing the skull.

Guro just fell over and was miserable. He stayed that way, occassionally tantruming and being fed - in the middle of the corridor.. until the wound healed on its own and he went about his business as usual.

Another dwarf had his leg broken in two places but went back to work anyway. He was a soldier and kept working for almost 2 years before suffering a broken arm at the hands of goblins - so now he felt he had to go to the hospital and they patched up his leg in the same go.

im guessing that means they had to re fracture it to set it right....that sucks lol

As for infections I believe those are simply like standard illnesses....some come and go some come and kill etc....hard to say for sure...and when it comes to injuries and dwarfs working with them I do believe it has healed....at least enough for them to register as being ok. I think that perhaps if they get stabbed (cut skin and broken bone) in the leg and then the skin heals (long before the bone) they register as being healed...bug for sure but im not entirely sure what is up with it all...

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 12:38:04 am »

Well, it seems the cause of that sort of thing is that low-skill diagnosers sometimes miss really, really blatant things, like the fact that a dwarf needs his foot fixed before he walks on it.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Lawec

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Goblinslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 10:58:05 am »

Well, it seems the cause of that sort of thing is that low-skill diagnosers sometimes miss really, really blatant things, like the fact that a dwarf needs his foot fixed before he walks on it.

"Oy Urist McDoctor!"
"Yes?"
"Is me foot supposed to hurt when I walk around?"
"Aye."
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 11:57:53 am »

*reminds self to keep his immigrant High Master Diagnoser, immediately made chief medical dwarf, alive and happy*

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 12:04:22 pm »

"Oy Urist McDoctor!"
"Yes?"
"Is me foot supposed to hurt when I walk around?"
"Aye."

"... but shouldn't I remove this two-handed silver longsword stuck in it?"
"You'll be fine!"

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 05:26:28 pm »

Problem is that you actually need 2 of everything--- so if your best diagnoser, like your chief medical, gets hurt or sick, someone can diagnose him so he can get treated.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!
Pages: [1] 2