Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17

Author Topic: Things You've Never Been Able To Explain  (Read 19355 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things You've Never Been Able To Explain
« Reply #90 on: August 07, 2010, 05:45:06 pm »

Somehow, just...somehow, I've managed to get girls to think of me as the best person they've ever met.
You think that's a bad thing? ???

And, I cannot fathom how,seeing as I am a total idiot >.>
Hm. Well, nevermind, I guess...
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 07, 2010, 11:03:19 pm »

All of my electronics are either possessed (with a ghost that can go between houses) or just plain suicidal.

It all started this summer, when I bought a pedometer. The fact that this pedometer came with a game about mutant animals had nothing to do with this. The pedometer jumped into my pants pocket before it got into the washer. I thought it was my fault..until my laptop jumped off of the high bed (the kind with a desk under it). Twice. One night I had left it up there, and once it FELL OFF the desk.

And now today, my MP3 player fell into the toilet. I had to reach through the disgusting water and grab it. At least I didn't do a number 2. Now I am praying that it will work.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 08, 2010, 04:10:47 am »

Music is of the devil. You are being warned.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 08, 2010, 04:58:39 am »

DID kinda explains it, but it's unsatisfactory, because those symptoms disappear after exorcism. Placebo effect... well, hardly, but not convincing enough. It seems a bit of a cop out to call everything you don't understand a placebo effect.

What symptoms, those from DID and AHS or those from "normal" possession? I have copped out of nothing. Individuals see those deemed possessed, believe they could be possessed, and eventually act as such. It's the same as hoping a new medication will cure your terminal illness, but the doctors just gave you a sugar pill. You think it works though, and sometimes this hope makes it so. This is just the reverse, with fear of loss instead of hope for gain.

Well, yeah, I mean, that "placebo effect" covers a really wide scope. I'm as unhappy with it as people who say "God did it" or "it was magic" to explain something. Not calling it scientifically wrong, but it just lacks precision.

Going back to that, the placebo effect's something I've been interested in and unable to explain. I mean, people have done powerful things with it. Placebo pills are immensely powerful for anything mental, almost as powerful as a full drug. And they still work very well for a lot of physical problems. There's been people performing "psychic surgery", with a knife and no anesthesia, and had enough of a success rate that people kept going to them when they get sick. One of them only got caught when he tried to cure kidney stones with "psychic surgery", but failed.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 08, 2010, 07:06:00 am »

I was staying on a RAF base for a week. During the meal times, I would get a glass of water to go with me food, and I would sit down at a table.

My glass of water would move slowly towards me, though. It didn't matter what table I sat at, what glass I was drinking from, or where at the table I was, it would always move towards me. Nobody else experienced this, only me.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 08, 2010, 07:07:00 am »

Legendary vibrations. Caused by, uh, ghost planes.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 08, 2010, 07:33:24 am »

Legendary vibrations. Caused by, uh, ghost planes magic.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 08, 2010, 07:37:19 am »

Legendary vibrations. Caused by, uh, ghost planes magic laser-guided rocket dildos.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 08, 2010, 08:26:43 am »

Balistic604

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 08, 2010, 10:18:37 am »

I can tell who is walking around my house by the sound of the footsteps.
Dwarf Fortress: The only place you'll find complaints about NOT dying.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 08, 2010, 04:53:35 pm »

I can tell who is walking around my house by the sound of the footsteps.

Can you not explain this? People wear different shoes, have different weight, have varied gaits, and  walking styles through which to intonate.

I originally didn't intend for that to rhyme, but once I saw the rhyme I had to go out of my way to achieve it.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 08, 2010, 05:47:39 pm »

i have see vans fix by the power of a old hippy-rock-on-a-strig
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 08, 2010, 09:11:14 pm »

1. Why am I so scared of harmless bugs like roaches or centipedes

2. If any girl likes me, either a) I have no interest in her or b) she has a boyfriend

3. Every sports team I support does great and then chokes right when it counts

4. Jersey Shore

5. Computers

6. Toynbee Tiles
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 08, 2010, 09:22:53 pm »

1. Why am I so scared of harmless bugs like roaches or centipedes

2. If any girl likes me, either a) I have no interest in her or b) she has a boyfriend

3. Every sports team I support does great and then chokes right when it counts

4. Jersey Shore

5. Computers

6. Toynbee Tiles

1. Because bugs are icky, and they're all trying to crawl into your ears when you sleep.

2. Because all women everywhere are conspiring to make you feel bad.

3. Because losers have a kindred affinity with eachother.

4. The Amazing Race is way better.

5. Like seriously, what's with computers!?

6. I actually had to look these puppies up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toynbee_tiles

That's actually REALLY interesting!

I can only hope that you appreciate my carefully crafted sarcasm.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 08, 2010, 09:27:51 pm »

Please, everyone knows that bugs drink from your eye while you sleep. And that they get addicted. And watch you for when you fall asleep. And wait. And watch. And wait.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17