Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17

Author Topic: Things You've Never Been Able To Explain  (Read 19351 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things You've Never Been Able To Explain
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2010, 07:26:24 am »

Deja Vu vs. Precognitive Dreaming.

I completely reject the theory that it's your mind reading/writing at the same time. I have very clear memories of conversations talking ABOUT the dream, and THEN experiencing the "Deja Vu" from it.

I "recognize" people I've never interacted with pretty often. I don't mean that they have a familiar face, but that I remember seeing them, sometimes even conversations with them that have never happened. This might just be that I live in a small town, except that conversations bit.
I could swear that I've seen things before they happen, but I usually forget about it, and when it happens, I get this really f-cking infuriating feeling of deja-vu. Also, when I'm gaming, especially FPSes, I usually have a good sense of what's going on, and I have a higher reaction speed than normal, but that might be years of skills accumulated.

Also, I can usually tell when a TV or something is on, even when I can't see or hear that it's on.

The only thing I can think of is a high frequency noise caused the glass to shatter. You wouldn't be able to hear it, being high frequency, but it could cause the glass to break. Violently so, and without an impact point. Where this noise would come from is anyone's guess.
If you had any dogs or a pet bat, they'd be going apeshit when that happened.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

hexedmagica

• Bay Watcher
  • This headless lover of three
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2010, 07:32:19 am »

Also, I can usually tell when a TV or something is on, even when I can't see or hear that it's on.

You get this too? It's a bloody wierd feeling. :\
They started to collide~

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2010, 07:33:43 am »

My niece says she feels and/or hears static when there's a tv on, so there may be more to that one than we'd suspect...
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2010, 08:08:57 am »

One night a few summers ago, two friends and I saw a robed shadow person walking on the beach carrying something aloft.  We felt a great deal of anxiety for no apparent reason, beyond the fact that it really, really creeped us out.  Compelled to run away, we did.  About a year after it happened, I randomly learned in a newspaper that Salvador Dali had painted a picture of it while on that very beach.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2010, 08:10:23 am »

NEVER BRING UP SALVADOR DALI. HE IS THE DEVIL.

Also my favorite artist. But still the devil.
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2010, 08:19:50 am »

One thing comes to mind for me in immediate history: I heard someone talking over my computer's speakers. Sounded like one side of a phone call, but I have no idea how it would have been picked up by the computer. Very quiet. Couldn't make out a word they were saying, even at maximum volume. Had to be the speakers, because my mute button could block it.

Your speakers might be picking up and demodulating an unencrypted conversation? If it was a phone conversation, then it'd be like a very weak signal, since those are typically nanowatts.

As for me, it's always been ghosts, possessions and that fucking creepy feeling I get when I visit a hospital. I think there's some missing link to what people call the paranormal but can't explain it.

Woman walks into high crime area -> ? -> Walks away physically and mentally harmed

Person walks into haunted area -> ? -> Walks away mentally harmed

In the first one, you can always assume that it's rape. If a woman claims to have been raped in a dark alley, you don't question her sanity. Yet, there's no actual video evidence that rape can occur, just perhaps acted out films. But it's an accepted fact because it's something fully explainable.

In the second case, you can claim that it's possession. If a man claims to have been possessed in a haunted location, you question his sanity. There's also no believable video evidence, but many friends and relatives claim that it's happened to them. It happens often and consistently enough that I think there's at least some kind of link.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2010, 08:22:32 am »

My whole "dizziness in holy places" thing has led me to believe that, given enough time and human interest, a place can accrue certain properties that make no fucking sense whatsoever.

That might be the case in your second example, only malign.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2010, 08:23:01 am »

I recall reading about how Dali got his ideas. Instead of stealing concepts from other artists, he stole them from the subconsious mind of Salvador Dali by staying up for weeks at a time and painting anything interesting he saw. Plus, his moustache was fucking awesome, and no one can deny it.
You do not criticize a man who looks like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 05, 2010, 08:26:13 am »

I told you, he is el goddamn diablo.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 05, 2010, 08:29:30 am »

Didn't he get the Church to perform an exorcism on him?  I answered my own question, he did.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 05, 2010, 08:40:40 am »

Now, about Muz's post. I'm sure we've seen insances of rape happen on camera, even if the example did not. Let's face it, some people are really stupid about where they commit their crimes. It is a recorded human behavior, although a horrible one.

Possession, on the other hand, has never been recorded. It has no tangible evidence to it. People can claim possession for many reasons. They might try to blame their own actions on an outside force. In the event of the individual having Dissociative Identity Disorder or Alien Hand Syndrome, their might really be an inside force. But this force is the result of a malignant personality forming, nothing paranormal about it. Then, those people might cause others to genuinely believe they are possessed, via the Placebo Effect. This creates a vein of human behavior about possession that still exists today. Nothing paranormal about it, really.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 08:42:44 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2010, 09:05:05 am »

I get the prescient dreaming thin all the freaking time

the incident that stands out the most is one time, about the time I was in 6th grade, I dreamed that I was standing in a line of kids waiting to use a metal folding machine, and I decided to skip the line and use the other machine that was smaller, thus having to use two passes, at which point I woke up and had no idea what that was about. I'd never seen those kids before, or the machines, but I had recognized them in the dream.

a few years later, I'm in 8th grade shop class. I'm standing in the line to use one of the metal folding machines, and I realized, wait a darn second. I know exactly what's gonna happen next, I'm gonna go and use the other machine. well then, I'll just not do that, perhaps I can make a paradox or something.

and what happens? I was completely unable to even decide to stay in that line. next thing I know, I'm next to the smaller machine, swearing to myself.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2010, 09:21:45 am »

That happens somewhat often to me, but i have noticed that while i dream it i am almost always silent, only recently have i started talking in those dreams.And when they happen i get this feeling like i have been jolted by a spark, realizing what is going on, knowing what the person next to me is going to say and beeing silent for some reason.

Also, don't know why but i seem to be able to smell when it's going to rain, this freshnes in the air is overpowering and invigorating, then i know it will rain soon, also looking at the sky helps
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 05, 2010, 09:28:52 am »

I can smell rain too. I think its the humidity.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 05, 2010, 09:29:14 am »

Actually, it's the grass.

Now, about Muz's post. I'm sure we've seen insances of rape happen on camera, even if the example did not. Let's face it, some people are really stupid about where they commit their crimes. It is a recorded human behavior, although a horrible one.

Possession, on the other hand, has never been recorded. It has no tangible evidence to it. People can claim possession for many reasons. They might try to blame their own actions on an outside force. In the event of the individual having Dissociative Identity Disorder or Alien Hand Syndrome, their might really be an inside force. But this force is the result of a malignant personality forming, nothing paranormal about it. Then, those people might cause others to genuinely believe they are possessed, via the Placebo Effect. This creates a vein of human behavior about possession that still exists today. Nothing paranormal about it, really.

Stop bringing your silly rationalism into the mysteeeeeeeerious thread!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17