Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17

Author Topic: Things You've Never Been Able To Explain  (Read 19307 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Things You've Never Been Able To Explain
« on: August 04, 2010, 02:35:07 pm »

Unexplained things happen to all of us. And this is the thread to tell them to the internets. Come, Bay Watchers, and type of your mysteries. Note that this isn't intended to be creepypasta. I mean real things, that you witnessed, and couldn't figure out.

One thing comes to mind for me in immediate history: I heard someone talking over my computer's speakers. Sounded like one side of a phone call, but I have no idea how it would have been picked up by the computer. Very quiet. Couldn't make out a word they were saying, even at maximum volume. Had to be the speakers, because my mute button could block it.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 03:12:11 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
Re: Things You've Never Been Able To Explain
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 02:45:24 pm »

Deja Vu vs. Precognitive Dreaming.

I completely reject the theory that it's your mind reading/writing at the same time. I have very clear memories of conversations talking ABOUT the dream, and THEN experiencing the "Deja Vu" from it.

I "recognize" people I've never interacted with pretty often. I don't mean that they have a familiar face, but that I remember seeing them, sometimes even conversations with them that have never happened. This might just be that I live in a small town, except that conversations bit.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 02:47:02 pm »

Are we really just brains in a vat? Jk

I wonder why I have a tendency to wake up just before my alarm goes off on a regular basis, especially when it's set for irregular times. I've also never been able to explain how on games like BF2 and CoD there are rounds where I have a .33 kdr, and then there are times when I get 35-0 and 57-3 games. I can only think of different levels of alertness, but that alone wouldn't explain the radical jumps in kdr.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 02:50:11 pm »

I wonder why I have a tendency to wake up just before my alarm goes off on a regular basis, especially when it's set for irregular times.

Me too! Almost every day! And like you said, ESPECIALLY when it's set to a strange time. Even when it's set to go off in the middle of a cycle, I'll still wake up about a minute before...

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 02:57:01 pm »

I think that's pretty normal. Most people hate alarms. I hate the sound of mine and wake up a few minutes before it constantly.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 02:59:55 pm »

I think that's pretty normal. Most people hate alarms. I hate the sound of mine and wake up a few minutes before it constantly.
Another thing I can't explain, I must be conditioned like a dog barking when the doorbell rings, as my old alarm was the sound of my cell phone vibrating on the carpet next to my bed.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 03:01:05 pm »

Probably. I mean, if you know what time you set your alarm too you'll probably wake up just before it.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 03:01:26 pm »

Deja Vu vs. Precognitive Dreaming.

This happens to me as well. I like to think that my memories retroactively change though. Any other explanation is way to odd for me.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 03:10:48 pm »

I once had a dream that I woke up and walked to the window and looked out and it was winter. Then I woke up and without thinking anything did the exact thing as in the dream, but it was summer.

Im still wondering why I did that and why my head was completely empty. Some weird form of sleepwalking or something?

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 03:12:45 pm »

I sometimes have dreams where I dream that I'm dreaming.

It's horribly disconcerting - to wake up two or three times within a couple of minutes

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 03:13:39 pm »

One thing comes to mind for me in immediate history: I heard someone talking over my computer's speakers. Sounded like one side of a phone call, but I have no idea how it would have been picked up by the combuter. Very quiet. Couldn't make out a word they were saying, even at maximum volume. Had to be the speakers, because my mute button could block it.

I had the same several times, usually it is quiet and not understandable, but at least 2 times I have heard a loud talk which I could clearly understand. Was definitely someone talking to a phone.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 03:15:38 pm »

"Hey phone"
"..."
"Hey, phone!"
"..."
"Hey, phone!"
"..."
"Fuck you phone."

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 03:15:56 pm »

One thing comes to mind for me in immediate history: I heard someone talking over my computer's speakers. Sounded like one side of a phone call, but I have no idea how it would have been picked up by the combuter. Very quiet. Couldn't make out a word they were saying, even at maximum volume. Had to be the speakers, because my mute button could block it.

I had the same several times, usually it is quiet and not understandable, but at least 2 times I have heard a loud talk which I could clearly understand. Was definitely someone talking to a phone.
Every cable has the capability of picking up radio waves when there is a current running through it. Spears in particular because they have a place for the picked up interference to be played. Can become a problem when your cell phone is about to pick up a call and the speakers start buzzing like nobodies business.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 03:18:42 pm »

I sometimes have dreams where I dream that I'm dreaming.

It's horribly disconcerting - to wake up two or three times within a couple of minutes
Some of the better lucid dreamers talk about waiting around in reality for a few miniutes telling their subconsious to stop fucking around and to let them wake up for real this time, as lucid dreaming provokes the dreaming mind to create many false awakenings, sometimes one after another.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 03:21:46 pm »

Every cable has the capability of picking up radio waves when there is a current running through it. Spears in particular because they have a place for the picked up interference to be played. Can become a problem when your cell phone is about to pick up a call and the speakers start buzzing like nobodies business.

Don't believe him. There are tiny little people trapped in your speakers. That's the only logical explanation.

(Headsets are even worse. My headset at work buzzes like a damn beehive if anybody within 50 feet or so gets an incoming call)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17