Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17

Author Topic: Things You've Never Been Able To Explain  (Read 19322 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Things You've Never Been Able To Explain
« Reply #75 on: August 05, 2010, 10:06:10 am »

[fakerage]I will bring all the rationalism I have into the mysteeeeeeeeeeerious thread I started, and you cannot stop me! [/fakerage]

In all seriousness, this thread is just as much to explain our unexplained experiences as to tell them in the first place. I, for example, no longer am blind to why I heard a conversation over my computer.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 05, 2010, 10:34:30 am »

My niece says she feels and/or hears static when there's a tv on, so there may be more to that one than we'd suspect...
Yeah, that's it. Something like that.

I can also sometimes tell if a person is dead or alive by looking at a photograph of them. But I guess it really depends on the age of the picture, really old pictures have deteriorated and always look dead to me. Electronic photos, your mileage may vary ::).

Can't do shit with a horse race or blackjack, though. Or else my money troubles would a hell of a lot less troubling.

I can smell rain too. I think its the humidity.
'They' say that you can smell rain about half an hour before it arrives, but I assume that's only if it's already raining, and that rain is heading towards you. Then the wind would be blowing the smell of fresh-wet grash ahead of the rain.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 05, 2010, 10:47:10 am »

My niece says she feels and/or hears static when there's a tv on, so there may be more to that one than we'd suspect...
Yeah, that's it. Something like that.
I can hear the hum of cathode ray tube televisions if there's no prevailing background noise, or at least I could. I haven't been near a running one in a quiet room for years.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 05, 2010, 11:21:10 am »

Also, I can usually tell when a TV or something is on, even when I can't see or hear that it's on.

You get this too? It's a bloody wierd feeling. :\
crts often emit a very high frequency sound, or that's what I've identified it as.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 05, 2010, 11:26:13 am »

yeah, and as you get olderm you lose the ability to hear extremeley high pitch sounds.

but not everybody does.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #80 on: August 05, 2010, 02:40:16 pm »

Deja Vu vs. Precognitive Dreaming.

I completely reject the theory that it's your mind reading/writing at the same time. I have very clear memories of conversations talking ABOUT the dream, and THEN experiencing the "Deja Vu" from it.

I "recognize" people I've never interacted with pretty often. I don't mean that they have a familiar face, but that I remember seeing them, sometimes even conversations with them that have never happened. This might just be that I live in a small town, except that conversations bit.
I could swear that I've seen things before they happen, but I usually forget about it, and when it happens, I get this really f-cking infuriating feeling of deja-vu. Also, when I'm gaming, especially FPSes, I usually have a good sense of what's going on, and I have a higher reaction speed than normal, but that might be years of skills accumulated.

Also, I can usually tell when a TV or something is on, even when I can't see or hear that it's on.
Deja Vu- I was annoyed by it a few times, especially when it's a looping DV (when you have it repeat, and repeat the experience, and realize it happened before, and you predicted it and experienced it multiple times before; and even lampshade on it's happening (which also is predicted by the DV). Had it happen a few times; and even screwed around with it temporally (Not temporarily. Screwing around with time, not for a short amount of it.) by allowing my future self to make note of it all, and even announce the details. Upon the DV happening, I did the exact same thing down to the letter). One interesting thing I noticed with my DVs was somewhat inspired by reading some Dominic Deegan. I get DVs that are monochrome, then at that point, there will be a choice that will divide my path of experience (and essentially split into a personal alternate reality); I get DVs that are intensely colored (or high-contrast, but full color), then I assume that realities are merging, and no matter what choices I have been presented with in the past, this is a guaranteed result of any of the choices in alternate realities, or regardless of past decisions. I dunno, it's bizarre. I guess my best explanation/summary of it could be, B&W = Destiny, Color = Fate; in the case of Deja Vu.

As for TV awareness and such, it could be that you're electro-magnetically sensitive. Kinda like a hammerhead shark. You can sense electricity, and know something is on or alive. I mean, I can use that sense, along with seismic sensory to tell if someone is pulling into the driveway, while I'm in the opposite side of the house where you normally can't notice anything going on in the frontside. Heck, it even helps in recognizing whose in the house just by the footsteps.

Now for what I can't explain; why do I do, or come up with, this crap always when I'm bored, and not when I'm supposed to be creative?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 02:59:51 pm by Itnetlolor »

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 05, 2010, 03:49:18 pm »

Yeah, I used to think I had superpowers when I could hear the TV even when it was on mute from three rooms away. I think it's just like the mosquito noise, children and young adults are more sensitive to it.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 06, 2010, 10:49:53 am »

I can smell snot.

Me too. But only if I rub my nostrils together, and it smells better and stronger if I had chicken or turkey a few hours before... That was probably one of the strangest things I've ever typed but I'm being serious.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 06, 2010, 10:58:54 am »

I can smell snot
I can too,it smells bloody horrible
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 11:01:02 am by Dwarf mc dwarf »

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 06, 2010, 11:47:41 am »

yeah, and as you get olderm you lose the ability to hear extremeley high pitch sounds.

but not everybody does.

You don't have to hear it to know it's there. You can feel a very low frequency sound clearly, some people might be able to feel the really high freq ones.

Now, about Muz's post. I'm sure we've seen insances of rape happen on camera, even if the example did not. Let's face it, some people are really stupid about where they commit their crimes. It is a recorded human behavior, although a horrible one.

Possession, on the other hand, has never been recorded. It has no tangible evidence to it. People can claim possession for many reasons. They might try to blame their own actions on an outside force. In the event of the individual having Dissociative Identity Disorder or Alien Hand Syndrome, their might really be an inside force. But this force is the result of a malignant personality forming, nothing paranormal about it. Then, those people might cause others to genuinely believe they are possessed, via the Placebo Effect. This creates a vein of human behavior about possession that still exists today. Nothing paranormal about it, really.

Well, I've certainly never seen a recorded rape, though I haven't really looked for one. Nor have I seen a recorded possession. Internet stuff don't really count, because over 90% of either are fake.

DID kinda explains it, but it's unsatisfactory, because those symptoms disappear after exorcism. Placebo effect... well, hardly, but not convincing enough. It seems a bit of a cop out to call everything you don't understand a placebo effect. What I did notice is that all of them had a strong belief in ghosts right before the possession. Ouija board, swimming in a haunted pool, kicking holy objects. I don't think it's faked, but it's at least the result of losing personal control to something you believe in.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 06, 2010, 12:06:37 pm »

Well, I've certainly never seen a recorded rape, though I haven't really looked for one. Nor have I seen a recorded possession. Internet stuff don't really count, because over 90% of either are fake.

I can recall court cases from my obsession with Forensic|Files in which tapes of Rape-Murders were discovered by investigatiors. (I haven't seen such tapes myself, but I have no wish to ever do so, or any reason. The evidence would be locked, anyway.).

DID kinda explains it, but it's unsatisfactory, because those symptoms disappear after exorcism. Placebo effect... well, hardly, but not convincing enough. It seems a bit of a cop out to call everything you don't understand a placebo effect.

What symptoms, those from DID and AHS or those from "normal" possession? I have copped out of nothing. Individuals see those deemed possessed, believe they could be possessed, and eventually act as such. It's the same as hoping a new medication will cure your terminal illness, but the doctors just gave you a sugar pill. You think it works though, and sometimes this hope makes it so. This is just the reverse, with fear of loss instead of hope for gain.

What I did notice is that all of them had a strong belief in ghosts right before the possession. Ouija board, swimming in a haunted pool, kicking holy objects. I don't think it's faked, but it's at least the result of losing personal control to something you believe in.
This is what I mean, verbatim. They think ghosts are real, and that they are commiting an action that could attract their attention. It's placebo, plain and simple. That isn't even counting the potential of undiscovered fakers out there. People believe in ghosts some level might see ghosts. Those who do not, do not. Nothing more to it. As The Matrix says: "Your mind makes it real." But your mind can only effect reality to a certain level, and only for you.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tofu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 06, 2010, 08:48:45 pm »

I've overheard three old ladies talking about what they experienced on /b/ the other night, and they used--at times-- lingo that I could not comprehend, despite me being a regular at the site... It is the single most appaling, and at the same time awesome thing I have ever experienced in my whole life. We're talking 60-70 year old ladies talking about the newfags, and cancer and whatnot. It was glorious.
How is this in any way possible?

Now, something less interesting:
Somehow, just...somehow, I've managed to get girls to think of me as the best person they've ever met. Not on purpose, or to be an asshole of course. And, I cannot fathom how,seeing as I am a total idiot >.>

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 07, 2010, 08:16:49 am »

I have an old toy Pokedex I got like ten years ago when I was into pokemon. Now it's in a box next to my desk... and whenever I move my chair just right, it suddenly comes on and makes its startup beeping noises. No contact with the box was made or anything, and said box is on top of yet another box.

It has since stopped though, I assume the batteries finally quit. Weird stuff... probably explainable.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 07, 2010, 10:18:02 am »

The pokedex wails to you, wanting you to catch'em all!

I swear that everyone around me is superstitious as hell. I always end up with a bunch of loonies that believe in ghosts and stuff.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 07, 2010, 05:26:37 pm »

Every time I'm required for doing a job, especially one that involves engineering, The person I just did the job for decides they don't really like it.
I don't get it, why do people never listen to me when I tell them something won't work?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17