Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17

Author Topic: Things You've Never Been Able To Explain  (Read 19306 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Things You've Never Been Able To Explain
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2010, 04:56:14 pm »

Are we really just brains in a vat? Jk

We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?
Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7. Activity recorded M.Y. 2302.22467. (TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2010, 05:24:18 pm »

Having watched Inception got me thinking.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2010, 05:26:35 pm »

Make Kingdom Hearts 1 case went missing for no reason, where is it man.

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2010, 05:57:57 pm »

Make Kingdom Hearts 1 case went missing for no reason, where is it man.
Fleeing from the Heartless, no doubt.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2010, 06:09:00 pm »

lol Chairman, where was that original quote from? I learned of the brain-in-a-vat theory from solipsism (which totally isn't true, as my conversations with my selves would be ridiculously redundant)
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2010, 08:05:14 pm »

I'm really sensitive to phones going off. I get that shellshock sort of ring in my ears for a couple of seconds before it actually starts vibrating or ringing.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2010, 08:24:10 pm »

I've probably told the story before, but this was fucking crazy.

I had an essay to deliver for a class.  I had to have it in that day, or I'd be totally boned.  I had it finished, just needed to print, and I'm driving to school in a good mood.  This will be awesome.

Two miles from the campus, my car dies mid-stroke and rolls to a halt.  No noise, no smoke, no problems, just one second running then next second not.  Panicking, I open the hood and get to work.

An hour passes.  My dad walks me through what he thinks might be the problem, the ignition system, before resolving to pack his tools and come help in person, ETA: two hours.  Some old dude who reminds me of myself in thirty years pulls over to help me out.  He's a mechanic and electrician, and he's completely baffled.  He gives me a ride to the school when we finally give up.  I print out the paper plus an excuse letter, and happen to run into the professor who takes it on full faith.

My dad gets there.  We spend six hours working on the car, replacing the ignition coil, firing computer, and distributor rotor.  Nothing gets more than a one round of firing.  We finally concede for the night.  We come back the next day and eight hours later its the same story.  We get a towtruck to take it back to my place.  We work on it in the driveway for an afternoon, still nothing.  We haul it up to his house and he works on it for two days, still nothing.  Finally, we give up, and take it to a professional.  Three days later, that guy gets it working, by replacing the entire ignition system in one go, after we had replaced every part of it, one at a time; apparently, any one part of it was so fucked up, that it instantly fucked up any other part attached to it.

We asked him what in God's name could have happened.  He said he was completely stumped, but if he had to guess, he'd say it was struck by lightning.

Passing a course depended on getting to that one class that day on time, and my car was struck by an invisible bolt of lightning from a clear blue sky.  And then everything works out fine in the end after I shell out a couple hundred dollars.  The universe finds some creative ways to fuck with me - it's never totally disastrous, just mind-bogglingly irritating.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2010, 08:26:48 pm »

There's a jinn in your car.  You'll have to exorcise it.
Shoes...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2010, 08:28:54 pm »

On the plus side you get three wishes.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2010, 08:30:53 pm »

I keep rubbing and nothing happens.  Either my jinn's wishes are all used up and he's just fucking with me on principle, or it's a plain old gremlin.  I made need an expert for this.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2010, 08:33:13 pm »

You have to rub the fan. When it is on.

I know nothing about cars, they have fans right?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2010, 08:36:23 pm »

Don't jinn also have a "burn you to death" clause in there too?

If the guy's suggestion was correct, I might suspect ball lightning. It's fucking weird, to say the least. It just shows up in the air and flies in one direction untill it pans out or hits somthing. Very rare, and only confirmed to exist a few years ago. One could have formed inside your car's ignition.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2010, 08:38:27 pm »

What. We've known about ball lightning for years, man. St. Elmo's fire, remember?
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2010, 08:39:15 pm »

Confirmed
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2010, 08:39:43 pm »

There were still large skeptical holdouts untill this last decade, if memory serves.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17