Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Blood  (Read 7563 times)

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blood
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2010, 12:17:16 am »

Yeah from what I have learned above ground blood will not be cleaned by dwarfs and below ground will be cleaned by those with the cleaning job enabled...although its such a low priority for them that to happen they have to have no other jobs going on and even then its iffy...try getting a dwarf or so with just cleaning enabled and see what happens (I don't like using "cheats" like dfhack myself so I try and do that)....ive never had an issue with it all to much because most blood is outside for me...and the rain cleans that...you could also flood the affected areas somehow to clean the blood

I had the problem that the rain wasn't making it go away; there must have been some, somewhere, that was being tracked around the fort and it didn't do much other than make things look awful.  That and the FB extract that caused dwarves to vomit all over the place.

oddly enough from what the wiki says (I think it was the wiki) only blood that is touched by the rain (little blue dots that appear like bugs signifying rain) is actually cleaned.

I can partially confirm this from the fact that I had blood all over in my above ground fort that was cleared...but only over the course of 2 rain storms that were close together (the first one clearly had gotten most of the blood)

ExplodingNaba

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2010, 01:03:39 am »

From what I've seen, Dorfs'll clean anything that's designated as underground (Building a floor above doesn't seem to help), and whenever they wash something, it's like they pick up the blood and take it back to the watersource. I've three wells absolutely covered in the red love and I try, ye gods I try to imagine that they're being used for latrines after an all night tomato fest, but...

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2010, 06:12:34 am »

Blood multiplies around water, so...

this.

its quite amazing.

i accidentally flooded an area that my miners were in, they all got some of the layers of filth washed off and deposited on the floor. then the slowly spreading 1/1 tide of water made those few little patches of filth multiply and spread. as my miners were also serving as my military, there was dwarf, goblin, elf, elk bird, forgotten beast, deer, gnome, wolf, giant eagle, crundle, pond grabber, giant cave spider, cat, dog, fox and cow blood, pus, ichor and vomit everywhere. it was actually quite fascinating to watch, as it was happening in an insanely large room that had a nice smooth floor and all the stone removed.

sadly i had to seal that massive room to stop the water filling the rest of my fortress and ending things (source was from the aquifer) but it may have been nice to try and preserve that particular museum of body fluids.

also, at least in the version ive been playing (.10 i think) when a dwarf washes himself next to a well or whater source with or without soap, the filth they clean off ends up on the floor, which then means it can get tracked around the place. its particularly interesting when you dont have soap, mobile dwarves with infections seem to create utterly amazing amounts of pus with all their repeated washings.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2010, 08:50:36 am »

Ugh, don't remind me, I'm coming out (maybe?) of a tantrum/infection spiral caused by a fight with a forgotten beast.  The beast had a breath weapon that causes necrosis, and of course the extract got everywhere, and of course my dwarves randomly decide to take their shoes off, so I went from about 60 dwarves to about 12 dwarves (only two were actually killed by the forgotten beast, the extract and tantrum got the rest) (also all pets are dead, it even got some of the animals in cages somehow).  It probably wouldn't have been so bad except for the "Urist McDirtyPants cancels clean self: area inaccessible" bug that keeps me from using soap for cleaning (it's forgotten beast soap too, it would have been so perfect...)

So yea, huge swaths of the map are covered with blood, pus, vomit (unrelated), and forgotten beast extract, which I can't clean very successfully (having all able-bodied dwarves assigned to doctoring, cleaning, and little else seems to just be maintaining, I can't seem to eradicate the last of it) and I can't magic away due to some problem with dfhack.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2010, 10:30:00 am »

There is a labor called "cleaning". Dwarves sometimes go around cleaning blood, dust and such up. If the blood bothers you, set a dwarf to only clean, that should sort it.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2010, 05:30:08 am »

There is a labor called "cleaning". Dwarves sometimes go around cleaning blood, dust and such up. If the blood bothers you, set a dwarf to only clean, that should sort it.

yeah, this is allready discussed. it does not work that well, the cleaning dwarf(s) will often idle while everyone dies of FB related AIDs.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2010, 06:53:07 am »

Flooding the area with magma removes blood, dust, vomit, goo, mud, and dwarves.

Perhaps this was a bug in the 31.07 that I was running at the time, but being submerged in magma for a full year did not clean raccoon blood up off the floor that the magma was covering. When I drained the magma, there was the blood. If you haven't tested this thoroughly, I'm willing to say you might be wrong... On the internet...
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2010, 07:54:42 am »

Perhaps this was a bug in the 31.07 that I was running at the time, but being submerged in magma for a full year did not clean raccoon blood up off the floor that the magma was covering. When I drained the magma, there was the blood. If you haven't tested this thoroughly, I'm willing to say you might be wrong... On the internet...
My current fortress has several methods for dumping magma on invaders, potentially after the invaders have been dropped a great height, made to run over weapon traps, or fought my military, and I've seen magma flow over and erase blood on the floor many times.  I've also done testing in the arena.  Magma on a floor tile erases blood and other contaminates.  Fire also erases magma in a tile and all tiles adjacent to the fire, but that's harder to arrange on command in fortress mode.  Either you had temperature turned off, or experienced some kind of weird bug.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2010, 08:42:14 am »

The fastest way to get dwarves to clean an area is to designate it as a meeting area. They put a higher priority on cleaning in the meeting areas than just "blood somewhere in the fort", so it's the fastest (though not necessarily best) way to get it cleaned up. They still won't mess with stuff outside, and it won't clean the blood that's ON your dwarves either.

I found making a "shower" room (easiest with aquifer maps) and designating it as a meeting area to be fairly effective. They not only get cleaned off, they also clean up the floor where it washes off of them.

I don't recommend DFHack for the sole reason I noticed an increase in sudden game crashes after I used it, though I think it was from the VeinMining tool rather than the DFClean tool.
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.
Pages: 1 [2]