Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: An awesome qutoe I thought I'd share.  (Read 9403 times)

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: An awesome qutoe I thought I'd share.
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2010, 10:51:46 am »

How about the internet?  You addicted to that?

I know I am... :P :D

I'm addicted to DF too.
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2010, 03:29:06 pm »

Is that typo in this topics the title the reason for the complete and utter derail? Either way it irritates me. The typo that is.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2010, 03:49:42 pm »

Is that typo in this topics the title the reason for the complete and utter derail? Either way it irritates me. The typo that is.

Is it that grammatical error in your sentence that makes it hard to read or is it just me?

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2010, 09:30:25 am »

Being a synesthete is actually very helpful for my writing.  You can visualize smells, feel them like textures.  It allows me to describe things that most of my readers can appreciate better than traditional descriptions.  When describing a unique, fictional, or made up smell it's hard to go with the 'Harry Potter' style of 'It just smells bad'.

For example, the description of the blood of my RPG's golems:
As the golem crumbles to the ground, pouring forth a vile yellow fluid, the smell strikes your nose like a viscious snake.  The caustic, acrid smell burned your nose and lungs, stung your eyes, and left a bitter, sticky spice to your tongue.  It was a green smell, foul and rancid, like spurs sticking and clinging, with overtones of an ozone, electric smell.  It was all but unbearable and inescapeable.

This is pretty typical of my tabletops' description quality.  It does a lot better than 'It smells bad and stings your nose.'

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2010, 10:10:02 am »

Being a synesthete is actually very helpful for my writing.  You can visualize smells, feel them like textures.  It allows me to describe things that most of my readers can appreciate better than traditional descriptions.  When describing a unique, fictional, or made up smell it's hard to go with the 'Harry Potter' style of 'It just smells bad'.

As the golem crumbles to the ground, pouring forth a vile yellow fluid, the smell strikes your nose like a viscious snake.  The caustic, acrid smell burned your nose and lungs, stung your eyes, and left a bitter, sticky spice to your tongue.  It was a green smell, foul and rancid, like spurs sticking and clinging, with overtones of an ozone, electric smell.  It was all but unbearable and inescapeable.

This is pretty typical of my tabletops' description quality.  It does a lot better than 'It smells bad and stings your nose.'
Overdoing this is however a bit too Purple Prose to me.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2010, 11:55:12 am »

Particularly the middle sentence which describes the visibly yellow fluid as green and electric ("blue" IMO due to the color of electric sparks).

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2010, 05:18:12 pm »

Purple Prose?  *Googles*

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2010, 05:26:07 pm »

Purple prose is generally a positive for pen and paper games.

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2010, 05:29:51 pm »

Yeah.  I especially try to avoid 'Thesaurus Thumping' though.  People like detail in roleplays, but despise thesaurus abuse.  It's likened to a form of elitism.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2010, 06:21:12 pm »

Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2010, 06:33:31 pm »

NO! NO! NONONO! NEVER LINK TO TVTROPES! IT DRIVES US TO MADNESS!

TV Tropes will ruin your life.

Also, they have a page on the Eye of Argon!  Hey! :D

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2010, 06:37:07 pm »

Oh, so dramatic... it's not so bad once you've read all the tropes pages, so you don't have to get stuck.

Anyway, Janglur, I'd say that the problem with your little blurb is that it would only really make sense to say it at a particularly dramatic death scene.  It just sounds rediculous when everything is described in the most evocative terms you can come up with.

"The empty room unsounded with voidness!  It's dusts mote with collective might!"
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2010, 06:39:41 pm »

NO! NO! NONONO! NEVER LINK TO TVTROPES! IT DRIVES US TO MADNESS!

TV Tropes will ruin your life.

Also, they have a page on the Eye of Argon!  Hey! :D
Must... resist urGE..... CAN'T hoLd On.... [ur=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BigNol]NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO[/url]!!!
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6