Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: 14th Amendment Shenanigans  (Read 8312 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 14th Amendment Shenanigans
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2010, 03:58:20 pm »

Yeah, as much as I hate drawing comparisons or making analogies, it's like saying "Religion has caused many wars (true) and has caused much pain and heartache (also true). Therefore we must get rid of religion."

I would have no problem with a world free of religion. Abandoned though, not eliminated. But that's just me, typical libertarian atheist.

That implies that people would set it aside willingly though. That's not what I was saying, though it's equally implausible.

Whether or not it's a good thing is a debate I really really hope doesn't start here.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2010, 04:00:08 pm »

Yes, forgot my rule on that for a moment there. No risking religious debates unless absolutely needed.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Electronic Phantom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2010, 04:11:42 pm »

Hmmm.

America was founded on Freedom Of Religion, not Freedom From Religion.  And on that basis, the probability of getting rid of "Religion" (Notice how I do not mention which religion) is pretty low.  Weee.  Ninja'd... thankfully.

You can't let a few bad apples spoil everything for you. Overall, things are getting better, and have been for a while. Not many people are willing to say it, but the world has a bright future.

Really?  Better?  In what way?  Morally?  Socially?  I defy you to do your research into the moral and ethical systems around the world  and prove that things are, in fact, better.  I will agree, however, that, scientifically and technologically, things are better.  If you do, in fact, take up my challenge, be sure to define 'better.'  I hate arguing about the same word but two differant meanings (and no addressing of the discrepancy).

Yeah, as much as I hate drawing comparisons or making analogies, it's like saying "Religion has caused many wars (true) and has caused much pain and heartache (also true). Therefore we must get rid of religion."

Or saying that "atheism has caused many wars and caused much pain and heartache.  Therefore we must get rid of atheism."  I probably should be more specific, lest I troll, no?  In particular, marxism, communism, and secular humanism should be destroyed.

-(e)EP

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2010, 04:17:01 pm »

To everyone who think arbitrary lines are a reason to kill **** and torture, or that those things are not being done by the US:
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2010, 04:20:39 pm »

Or saying that "atheism has caused many wars and caused much pain and heartache.  Therefore we must get rid of atheism."  I probably should be more specific, lest I troll, no?  In particular, marxism, communism, and secular humanism should be destroyed.

-(e)EP

My point was: removing something that billions of people base their entire lives around with no way to do so without sending those billions of people into a (probably very violent) rage is a really stupid idea.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2010, 04:26:09 pm »

Really?  Better?  In what way?  Morally?  Socially?  I defy you to do your research into the moral and ethical systems around the world  and prove that things are, in fact, better.  I will agree, however, that, scientifically and technologically, things are better.  If you do, in fact, take up my challenge, be sure to define 'better.'  I hate arguing about the same word but two differant meanings (and no addressing of the discrepancy).

I see knowlage as being valued. I see human rights being cared about. I see willfull ignorance scorned, and more people caring about the right thing being done over everything else. I observe this through what I know of history. I will not bother heeding your demand for formal research, because none exists on this topic. I claim the world is becoming better because it seems, to me, more just and good overall than ever before. If you expect me to produce a scientific report on somthing subjective like this, you will be badly disappointed.

Atheism is a non-position. Marxism and Communism do not have anything inherently atheistic about them, you are thinking of Joseph Stalin's anti-religious policies. They existed purely to make people more loyal to the USSR, and nothing else. Secular Humanism isn't atheistic either. Somthing secular is more non-theistic than anything else. Atheism doesn't start wars or cause heartache because it is quite literally nothing on a particuar ideal, that being deities.

I would really like to not break my rule again, but I can't let that sentence stand.

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2010, 04:31:18 pm »

Oh, hey, look, a thread derailed into some sort of religious discussion.

My thread-lockin' finger is gettin' itchy.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2010, 04:33:31 pm »

And that is why we should move on very fast and never look back.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2010, 04:37:19 pm »

Atheism is not a non-position. "There is no god" is definitely a definitive statement of belief. Agnosticism is closer to a non-position.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 04:40:19 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2010, 04:38:32 pm »

And it seems to be a trend for politician worldwide (irrational policies about immigration) : Sarkozy want to take back the french nationality of poeple who commit crime, and one of our own member of parliament (in Belgium) want to make poeple who commit minor offense (such as speeding) ineligible for naturalization.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2010, 06:17:12 pm »

It's human nature. Hell, look at Bay12. We have the "upper forum" and the "lower forum". Clear demarcation, and mostly for the better. The culture up there is not like the culture down here. Peace is maintained by establishing boundaries.
I don't notice a boundary as much as the upper forums are a special interest group for DF (imagine that) and the lower forums are a general chat group. Perhaps like a college lobby by the (department) department.
People aren't going ZOMG DWARVEZ in here like they wouldn't in public. At the same time, you probably wouldn't bring up a political debate about a foreign country at, say, track meet.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2010, 07:08:04 pm »

I just think it is stupid that we jail people for traveling from point A to point B if segment AB crosses an imaginary line.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 04, 2010, 07:11:31 pm »

As a species, we are extremely terratorial beyond all rational thought. The line may be intangible, but it is far from uncared for.
No Gods, No Masters.

Austinthecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 04, 2010, 08:15:11 pm »

I've always thought the Republicans were crazy anyway, but they've really gone off the deep end lately.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2010, 08:21:00 pm »

Am I the only one who thinks it isn't that bad of an idea to make it necessary for your parents to be citizens, rather than the hypothetical day trip delivery in order to latch onto the benefits of being an american?
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11