Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: 14th Amendment Shenanigans  (Read 8289 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: 14th Amendment Shenanigans
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2010, 07:41:50 am »

Still nowhere near what they need. The reactionaries will give up on this sooner or later.

Dude...they still haven't given up on the "OMG OBAMA is teh secret Kenyan Muslim!" theory. Reality is no obstacle to the devoted reactionary.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2010, 08:06:41 am »

I dare you to find a single rational person who honestly thinks Obama is a secret muslim kenyan. I hate the guy as a president, but such a theory is somthing I would expect to find in his WMG file. It probably is in there, even. Reactionaries are seeing slightly increased popularity due to the Tea Party, and this is the result of becoming egotistic about it, honestly thinking they can pass an amendment.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2010, 08:15:08 am »

Why would anyone care if he's Muslim? I understand the Kenyan part, but not the Muslim part.
I've played a guitar with my penis.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2010, 08:19:14 am »

Because Muslims are subverting democracy, is why.

I'm pretty sure that's what they believe.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Agdune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2010, 08:19:42 am »

I firmly believe the entire USA (past and present) exists solely to create politicians who make inane sounding propositions whenever I start feeling like my own country's political processes are too frustrating and fuck-witted to ever be worth anything in the slightest. Your news reports make the whole Liberals/Labour thing seem intelligent and well-reasoned, their feeble attempts at meaningful discourse feel like a beautiful concert of reason, sense and happiness!

You guys (edit: 'you guys' being the US political machine and surrounding idiocy) cheer me up immensely and therefore you must be doing it intentionally. Keep up the good work!
I'm Mr. Cellophane

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2010, 08:40:54 am »

We have not yet begun to be dysfunctional. We still don't have open bench-clearing brawls in Congress like they do from time to time in South Korea and Taiwan.

MSH: I didn't say Birthers were rational. But they are reactionary. Nor are all reactionaries Birthers. But they do share a similar disconnect from political reality and a similar desire to overturn the existing political order in the name of "taking back the country".

It really is going to be interesting to see how all this plays out in November. My guess is that the GOP will make some gains, but not it'll be a mixed bag. And not enough to break the Democrats' nominal majorities. But it will enough to ensure gridlock for the remainder of Obama's term. Most of the politics from 2010-2012 is going to revolve around which side gets the blame for nothing getting done.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2010, 09:27:01 am »

GOP?
Love, scriver~

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2010, 09:31:47 am »

Grand Old Party.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2010, 10:06:25 am »

I love how New York hasn't finished its budget yet.  Its like everyone is trying to not make any concrete decisions that'll hurt their chances at getting re-elected in the upcoming elections.

At least the governor knows he ain't coming back for re-election, so he could try to do what need be done.

At least that is the impression I got on the whole affair.

(Related to sitting duck politicians mentioned by RedKing.)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2010, 10:43:18 am »

I dare you to find a single rational person who honestly thinks Obama is a secret muslim kenyan.

I would say my grandparents, which makes sense, being a general platform geared towards scaring the crap out of old white people.  But then, they're anything but rational.  The trick is, you don't have to be rational to be a voter.

Why would anyone care if he's Muslim? I understand the Kenyan part, but not the Muslim part.

That's a good question.  I suggest you ask the people in Georgia throwing a shit fit over a mosque being built in Manhattan.  I'm sure they can provide you with an answer.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2010, 10:51:35 am »

Hey guys, remember in elementary school when we read all those uplifting and heroic stories about hard-working immigrants who floated here from Europe in the bilges of cargo ships and then worked the rest of their lives doing horrible jobs just to give their kids a chance at a better life?

Yeah, me neither.

Honestly, the Obama's a Secret Kenyan Mooslim thing was pretty pervasive at least during the election.  Even my otherwise rational parents bought into it.  My dad doesn't anymore, I assume my mom doesn't, it was all that excitement and tension making people dumb.

Speaking of the mosque, my heavily republican colleague (His Facebook political blurb reads "redneck conservative" to give you an idea") got all up on me when I mentioned that condemning an entire religion because of 9/11 was a little retarded.  He said "Alright, I'll just go and build a Shinto shrine near Pearl Harbor"

Disregarding the fact that he only brought it up so we would all know he knew what Shinto was (When you associate long enough with him, you get an eye for stuff like this, we can all read him like a book) and I said that it was a false analogy because Pearl Harbor was an act of open war, not religiously motivated terrorism, and he said I just posted the whole thing to get attention and left.

Thankfully someone posted he was going to build a daycare next to Neverland Ranch, and cleared the air a bit.

This is a pretty long, meandering post.  I'm summing it up:  I think losing the election made the Republicans go crazy
Shoes...

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2010, 10:57:48 am »

This will never happen. They couldn't get 2/3rds majority for anything, including voting to save a puppy from a steamroller.

This is only political scumbags pandering to paranoid-schizophrenic militias and tea party klansmen.

Everybody involved, from the politicians who propose this, the opposing politicians who take this seriously, the inbred sacks of lard who are the target audience for this, to the reporters who consider this "news", aught to be dumped in the middle of the pacific ocean in shark season with flotation devices made of raw ham.

I'm going back to bed.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 11:30:56 am by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2010, 11:00:21 am »

to the reporters who consider this "news"

Oh come now.  Any elected official who's gone far enough off the deep-end to propose repealing the 14th Amendment is definitely newsworthy.  We all need something to laugh at during the day.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2010, 11:22:40 am »

to the reporters who consider this "news"

Oh come now.  Any elected official who's gone far enough off the deep-end to propose repealing the 14th Amendment is definitely newsworthy.  We all need something to laugh at during the day.

Then later be horrified when you find that there is a lot of public support for this. 

My fail prediction anyways.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2010, 11:27:53 am »

Hey guys, remember in elementary school when we read all those uplifting and heroic stories about hard-working immigrants who floated here from Europe in the bilges of cargo ships and then worked the rest of their lives doing horrible jobs just to give their kids a chance at a better life?

Yeah, me neither.

Honestly, the Obama's a Secret Kenyan Mooslim thing was pretty pervasive at least during the election.  Even my otherwise rational parents bought into it.  My dad doesn't anymore, I assume my mom doesn't, it was all that excitement and tension making people dumb.

Speaking of the mosque, my heavily republican colleague (His Facebook political blurb reads "redneck conservative" to give you an idea") got all up on me when I mentioned that condemning an entire religion because of 9/11 was a little retarded.  He said "Alright, I'll just go and build a Shinto shrine near Pearl Harbor"

You really should ask him if he means the Kotohira Jinsha-Dazaifu Tenmangu (located about 5 miles from Pearl Harbor) or the Daijingu Temple (about 2 miles further away). I mean, considering that population of Hawaii is still over 50% of Japanese ancestry, and the islands aren't all that big, it's kinda retarded to think that there wouldn't be a Shinto shrine or two nearby.

Oh, and apparently the whole Pearl Harbor/Shinto shrine is one of those right-wing talking points that hit the Web before anyone actually thought to check to see if...you know, there actually IS a shrine nearby.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11