Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: 14th Amendment Shenanigans  (Read 8258 times)

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 14th Amendment Shenanigans
« Reply #135 on: August 09, 2010, 03:59:48 am »

You realize even in itself thats a bad thing, right? If you set aside the xenophobia, you'll find most economists find immigration to be a positive thing for an economy. So its not really in the US' interest to reduce that incentive.

You do realise that a growth based economy has to fail eventually, don't you? most economists don't seem to, or don't care (as they might be long dead by the time it happens)
Magma is overrated.

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 09, 2010, 04:07:04 am »

You realize even in itself thats a bad thing, right? If you set aside the xenophobia, you'll find most economists find immigration to be a positive thing for an economy. So its not really in the US' interest to reduce that incentive.

You do realise that a growth based economy has to fail eventually, don't you? most economists don't seem to, or don't care (as they might be long dead by the time it happens)

Citation needed.

Thats probably the least-accurate thing I've ever heard all night. First, no. They don't, and people have been looking for evidence of that exact claim for centuries. Good luck finding compelling evidence for it.
In fact, does the fact that economists, the people who specifically study this issue, disagree with you seem even remotely odd to you? Look, we all know you're a smart guy, but when you pit yourself against basically the entirety of economic theory, maybe you're letting your ego get a little out of control.
And Jesus, you think the fact they'll be dead "when it happens" colors their views? I'm not even sure how to respond to that. Do astronomers sort of shrug when they discover new stellar bodies because they'll be dead when we can ever use that knowledge?
In short, no. No, no, no, no. Economic growth has bad consequences and it has good consequences, but it certainly is not structurally insolvent in any way. You're misinterpreting whatever you've read--I'm sure you're basing this off of something, however maimed it's message has been.
And even if that was true, it has nothing to do with immigration because immigrants dont affect the structure of the economy, which is what you're referring to.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 04:44:59 am by Renault »

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 09, 2010, 04:48:59 am »

Maybe he's looking at the whole "cyclical recession" thing. I wouldn't know, I'm an historian, not an economist.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 09, 2010, 04:57:28 am »

I assumed either that or Malthusian economics. Either way he completely missed the point. Its not an issue of growth but of consumption, and the two are entirely different.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 09, 2010, 05:00:44 am »

I actually don't see how Malthus' ideas could be relevant here, since this discussion is about immigration, unless we're also talking about GOP opposition to welfare.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 09, 2010, 05:07:11 am »

Exactly. It's not. But I can see where he'd work it into the idea of a "growth-based economy," one that depends on constantly-expanding resource consumption. It's improperly wielded, though. I guess I shouldn't dig too deep into it, though, without knowing more of what he meant. I don't want to be rude.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 09, 2010, 06:37:22 am »

Look, we all know you're a smart guy, but when you pit yourself against basically the entirety of economic theory, maybe you're letting your ego get a little out of control.

What the shit are you on about? none of you should know me. for all you know i could be a moron.

Maybe I didn't word my post correctly, but does it not seem odd to you that, if population growth drives an economy, that that economy will fail when there is no more room for population growth? That's all i'm trying to say. Maybe I misunderstand growth based economy (but to me it means, more people buying more services. implying that population growth is nessecary), and should just call it population growth instead. Infact, lets do that

"do you realise that eventually we'll run out of space. Immigration might be good in the short term, but it might mean you run out of space quicker in the long term"

« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 06:39:31 am by sneakey pete »
Magma is overrated.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 09, 2010, 06:43:24 am »

Citation needed.

Thats probably the least-accurate thing I've ever heard all night. First, no. They don't, and people have been looking for evidence of that exact claim for centuries. Good luck finding compelling evidence for it.
In fact, does the fact that economists, the people who specifically study this issue, disagree with you seem even remotely odd to you? Look, we all know you're a smart guy, but when you pit yourself against basically the entirety of economic theory, maybe you're letting your ego get a little out of control.
And Jesus, you think the fact they'll be dead "when it happens" colors their views? I'm not even sure how to respond to that. Do astronomers sort of shrug when they discover new stellar bodies because they'll be dead when we can ever use that knowledge?
In short, no. No, no, no, no. Economic growth has bad consequences and it has good consequences, but it certainly is not structurally insolvent in any way. You're misinterpreting whatever you've read--I'm sure you're basing this off of something, however maimed it's message has been.
And even if that was true, it has nothing to do with immigration because immigrants dont affect the structure of the economy, which is what you're referring to.

Renault, on this issue, which has come forward several times in this forum, you keep stating that economists "are the experts in the matter", while openly disregarding other relevant disciplines. I don't question your formation in economics, but don't you think you should do a better job at pointing out why you are right and the sociologists/political economists/whatnot in question are wrong (in this particular issue, or in general), instead of making a blanket appeal to authority?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 09, 2010, 09:43:51 am »

dam u.s. and the part of it that whants to shut its self away.

this same part made you late for both ww1 and ww2
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 09, 2010, 11:17:08 am »

I'm starting to have a lot of fun watching this topic.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 09, 2010, 11:24:45 am »

If we intervene we're meddling world-police, if we don't we're selfish isolationists.

:c  u make me sad
Shoes...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 09, 2010, 11:29:34 am »

I'm starting to think everything relating to America is a lose-lose situation. No one likes any president or any policy we have, including us.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 09, 2010, 12:01:01 pm »

I'm sure there's a middle ground between saying "fuck the world" and cut off all ties, and dropping thousands of marines to burn oil wells and depose rulers...

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 09, 2010, 01:02:37 pm »

If we intervene we're meddling world-police, if we don't we're selfish isolationists.

:c  u make me sad

Well how are we supposed to have fun without bashing you Americans?
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 09, 2010, 02:20:52 pm »

Look, we all know you're a smart guy, but when you pit yourself against basically the entirety of economic theory, maybe you're letting your ego get a little out of control.

What the shit are you on about? none of you should know me. for all you know i could be a moron.

Maybe I didn't word my post correctly, but does it not seem odd to you that, if population growth drives an economy, that that economy will fail when there is no more room for population growth? That's all i'm trying to say. Maybe I misunderstand growth based economy (but to me it means, more people buying more services. implying that population growth is nessecary), and should just call it population growth instead. Infact, lets do that

"do you realise that eventually we'll run out of space. Immigration might be good in the short term, but it might mean you run out of space quicker in the long term"

Based on your other posts on other topics, you seem like a pretty smart guy. If not, please accept my apologies for assuming. I didn't mean to offend you.
As for the population growth, yeah, thats Malthus speaking. And you're quite right, there is a theoretical carrying capacity for population. So if our economy depended on immigration, I'd agree. Its just that our economy doesnt require immigration, its just a useful boost to have for now. In the near future, perhaps we will reach the point where we can't support more people, I agree. But theres a difference between that and having the economy depend on immigration.

And for the Chairman, thats a completely valid request. Here its a two-part reason. First, I don't see how its relevant to this issue, unless sociologists have a silently-held formula for carrying capacity economists don't know, and second, I think when it comes to issues of hard economics economic models are more potent. Naturally, I wouldn't try to apply economic theory to issues of agency and interaction,  or social stratification, or any of the areas where sociologists tend to excel. It's not that I think they're "wrong" per se, its just that it seems economics is the best lens to view issues of hard economics through, i.e. sustainability models. If sociology presents compelling evidence otherwise that I'm unaware of, naturally I'd be intrigued to see it. I'm not a zealot and I don't really care for politics or ideology. I just argue the facts as I know them.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11