Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Military training - very slow  (Read 7987 times)

Gormaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Military training - very slow
« on: August 04, 2010, 04:30:32 am »

Sorry to open a new "Military issues" thread but I did do a search and could not really find some clues on the issue I am having.

I have played 40d versions of DF and had little trouble making the dwarf training.

I am now using latest version (31.12) and managed to get my dwarf training, using weapons, uniforms etc.

The issue that I am having is that they do spar, they do perform and attend demonstration, they do perform individual training.
But the training is very very very slow, after few years the best I could achieve is "Skilled".

First fortress I did my usual "take a bunch of useless dwarfs and start the training" and tried to train them in wrestling to up their stats and overall battle skills as in previous version, did not manage to make them train above very low level like "proficient"
I then read that taking one dwarf on embark with high skill in one weapon and Teaching helped a lot.

I thus started another fortress with a dwarf with Axe and Teacher at maximum allowed on embark.
After the first batch of migrants I created a 8 dwarfs squad with the skilled dwarf as Commander.
Assigned to them all a training axe.

It has now been 6 years and the best is "Skilled" in axeman.
They have some low level in shield, armor and fighter as well.
I see reports of some (few) sparring.

From reading on the forums it seems that most are not having this issue and manage to get some Axelords (Or any -lord) in few seasons only.
Is there something I am greatly overlooking?

Thanks in advance  :)

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
Re: Military training - very slow
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 04:33:52 am »

Weaponless prisoners.

Training weapons.
If your dwarves start starving, unleash a war beast or something to end the goblin.

My setup is pretty simple: I strip the goblins and them chuck them naked into the barracks.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 04:37:35 am »

People tend to not create as large groups. Usually groups of 3 are recommended at the moment. This is because dwarves who have different skills seem to take time out to demonstrate for others how awesome they are, thereby not sparring.
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

Gormaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 04:41:21 am »

Interesting ideas, I do have a bunch of gobelin in cage and while I was considering having fun with them and my volcano, using them to train my dwarf would be much better since I really would need a working military.

But wouldnt even a weaponless gobelin be a match for my usless bunch of "novice" ?

I thought I read gobos having some good stats/skills now in newer DF version.

As for the smaller squads, that's also something I will try out, I put the minimum number of dwarf in active duty to 5 though

I know it's possible to have multiple squads sharing the same barracks but do they share trainings among squads? (ie wouldnt having them use the same barracks defeat the purpose of splitting squads since they would try to attend demonstration from other squads?)

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 05:22:59 am »

I'm fairly sure dwarves look for training only within their own squads.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 05:46:40 am »

But wouldnt even a weaponless gobelin be a match for my usless bunch of "novice" ?

And that's why you drop him into the barracks. While he is stunned, the dwarves will hopefully break something.

Gormaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 05:50:13 am »

I have split the 8 dwarfs into 2 squads of 4 dwarfs each and have started an intensive "whack-a-naked-gobo training program).

Hopefully it helps, thanks for the ideas so far  :)

otze3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 10:54:15 am »

I just got my first awesome military in DF2010. I turned on cave reveal in worldgen and dumped sites info in legends mode. Then I embarked on a kobold cave with one military Urist. Kobolds don't really fight back and chocking kobolds makes a dwarf champion quickly. Then I sent her to kill about 50 local wildlife with a kobold steel dagger. She became an amazingly agile and extremely strong legendary knifedwarf/fighter, she can even outrun vultures.

Drafted immigrants with military skills and it took only a few months for the first recruit to become a champion. On hindsight I should have brought a battleaxe. She likes to stab goblins in the brain though, even named her steel dagger.

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 11:03:49 am »

Mmmmm... brains...

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 11:52:35 am »

I noticed that dwarves now appear with skills such as "concentration" "student" "teacher" etc.  Is it worthwhile to pump up a dwarf with a high teacher skill, so that other dwarves can train under him quickly?

I'm finding now that, as with earlier versions, it still pays off to train lots of crossbow dwarves and a smaller number of melee dwarves or war beasts.  Since the ammo issues are more or less dealt with, crossbow dwarves are pretty good for keeping back almost any threat short of a full goblin invasion.

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 01:07:35 pm »

crossbow dwarves are pretty good for keeping back almost any threat short of a full goblin invasion.
Oh how times have changed. Kids these days can't do anything right.
I mean, when I was young dwarf child, a good dwarf could deal with a goblin invasion on their own! 

;D
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 01:33:22 pm »

Weaponless prisoners.

Training weapons.
If your dwarves start starving, unleash a war beast or something to end the goblin.

My setup is pretty simple: I strip the goblins and them chuck them naked into the barracks.
How do you strip prisoners?
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 01:38:48 pm »

Weaponless prisoners.

Training weapons.

How do you strip prisoners?

Dump their stuff from the stock screen.

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 03:54:47 pm »

I prefer the wiki way:
First, use d-b-c and d-b-d to mark the entire stockpile of cages (and every item in the cages for dumping, then use k (for unbuilt cages) or t  (for built cages) to view and undump the cage itself. After you ordered the items dumped, dwarves will come and strip the items from your captives.

Source: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Captured_creatures#ixzz0vfm7XrZ5

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 04:18:20 pm »

I prefer the wiki way:
First, use d-b-c and d-b-d to mark the entire stockpile of cages (and every item in the cages for dumping, then use k (for unbuilt cages) or t  (for built cages) to view and undump the cage itself. After you ordered the items dumped, dwarves will come and strip the items from your captives.

Source: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Captured_creatures#ixzz0vfm7XrZ5

But then you can't choose what you dump. Perhaps you want your goblins to wear armor, and last longer.
Pages: [1] 2