Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dog Days  (Read 971 times)

JonMonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dog Days
« on: August 04, 2010, 12:54:59 am »

So if you've got stray dogs that are tame, and they aren't latched onto one of your dwarves yet...how the heck do you train them into war or hunting dogs?  They are listed as unavailable in the 'z-animals' menu, but when I order my animal trainer to work his mojo I get the standard "no available animals" announcement.  Do I have to cage them first or what?

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dog Days
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 12:58:47 am »

You have to build a kennel, and train them as war or hunting dogs at the kennel.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 01:00:16 am »

that's odd... they should be able to be trained as long as they can path to the kennel.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

JonMonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 01:09:45 am »

You have to build a kennel, and train them as war or hunting dogs at the kennel.

Roger that.  That's where I give my dorf the order to train a dog. 

Maybe it's a path issue.  If I set up a restraint right near the kennel and assign a dog to it, will my trainer unrestrain the dog to train it?

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 01:20:58 am »

There has been some problems with restraints.

Namely that when a dwarf removes the animal to milk/slaughter/whatever another dwarf comes along and says "no! this animal is supposed to be chained!" which results in a hilarious tug-o-war. You don't need to chain the animal, it should just be in the general area of the kennel ... or even far from it but accessible.
 I don't know if they'll tame caged dogs.
I have an art blog now.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 01:22:33 am »

No, the dog needs to be able to walk to the kennel itself, so cages and restraints(I don't think the outer tiles of the kennel will count, I could be wrong though!) won't work, hmm, is there any small chance your game has been modded? it would be a good idea to check your raws and make sure your dogs have the [TRAINABLE] tag on them(I do believe that tag now has an extra word tacked on now, I haven't been modding in a while!)

JonMonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 03:35:20 am »

Is there any small chance your game has been modded? it would be a good idea to check your raws and make sure your dogs have the [TRAINABLE] tag on them(I do believe that tag now has an extra word tacked on now, I haven't been modding in a while!)

I doubt it - I'm using Mayday Mike's graphical edition of the latest release.  Just checked and dogs are [TRAINABLE].  Maybe I need to restrain the dogs inside a large room with a kennel, and then make the door to the room unpassable by pets, and then order training?  Seems like a lot of work.

Bartleby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 03:40:48 am »

No, as some others already pointed out, the dogs must be free and have a path to your kennels.
If you collect them in cages near the kennels, you have to let them out before they can be trained.

JonMonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 04:35:47 am »

No, as some others already pointed out, the dogs must be free and have a path to your kennels.
If you collect them in cages near the kennels, you have to let them out before they can be trained.

That's what I'm saying here.

1.  Tie up the dogs in the same room as the kennel.
2.  Make the door to the kennel room unpassable by the dogs.  That way you force a (one or two tile) path to the kennel.
3.  Undesignate the restraint to let the slip the soon to be dogs of war.
4.  Order training - the hounds can't get out of the room.

Make sense?

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 06:00:10 am »

The dog can be ANYWHERE in your fortress... dozens of levels and hundreds of tiles away... as long as it's free (not caged or chained) and has a valid path to the Kennel.

You also need some dog food... but Dwarven dogs will eat just about anything.
Never pet a burning dog.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 10:46:18 am »

oh. and.

I assume that your animal trainer isn't stuck in a burrow or something, from which he can't reach the dog?
I have an art blog now.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 11:35:51 am »

You also need some dog food... but Dwarven dogs will eat just about anything.

Food is only required for taming wild animals - training an animal for hunting or war requires nothing but time.

Also, locking your trainer in a room with several dogs may not necessarily work - the trainer might happen to choose a dog that's not inside the room (not sure if trainers choose animals based on proximity or by order in the Units list).
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 11:37:47 am by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 01:48:45 pm »

The dogs are definitely running around, and not caged or chained up, right?  From my experience, an animal has to be running free in order to be trained, if it is in a cage or chained up you will get the message that no animals are available for training etc.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 03:56:20 pm »

Are your doors pet passible? If you have doors the dogs can't get through, then you won't be able to train them.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!