Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't smith steel  (Read 1039 times)

scaliper

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Scalips
    • View Profile
Can't smith steel
« on: August 03, 2010, 09:34:38 pm »

I'm running into a major problem with my fortress: I am unable to smith steel bars. I have made 10 pig iron bars, but when I try to make steel, it says "cancels make steel bars: needs 150 iron bars"
As well, after that happened, steel bars was removed from my list of things able to be smelted. In addition, any items that I attempt to make out of iron are also canceled. Anybody have any idea what's going on?
You don't get a hell of a lot of use out of minions when the standard training regimen outputs quadriplegics.
Unless you load the quadruplegics into catapults and fire them on the enemy.
First person to record farming in HFS, and in a community fort no less!

scaliper

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Scalips
    • View Profile
Re: Can't smith steel
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 09:39:06 pm »

Mistake post. Sorry!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 09:42:24 pm by scaliper »
You don't get a hell of a lot of use out of minions when the standard training regimen outputs quadriplegics.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 09:41:26 pm »

It sounds like you either haven't melted enough iron objects into iron bars, you haven't melted enough iron ore into iron bars (you need 1 iron bar, 1 pig iron bar, 1 flux stone, 1 coke bar, and 1 fuel --- magma forges don't need the 1 fuel, but still need everything else), or--- your iron is unavailable to the smelter due to no open paths (ie, locked doors, raised/retracted bridges) or due to burrow restrictions.

Editted to add in the flux stone requirement.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 09:50:14 pm by Lord Darkstar »
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

scaliper

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Scalips
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 09:43:09 pm »

Ah, that'd do it. I didn't know that you needed both pig iron and regular iron. Thanks!

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 09:47:27 pm »

Yeah--- pig iron is the intermediate step between iron and steel. You have to go through it to be able to reach steel. I also realize I forgot to include the flux stone requirements in my original post. Without a "flux" stone, you can't turn pig iron into steel. And without flux stone, you cannot turn iron into pig iron.

The Dwarf Fortress Wiki is a fountain of ready knowledge. It has answered most of my questions about the game when I was getting the basics down, such as how to make pig iron and steel, how to farm underground, etc.

Don't get me wrong--- this forum is a great place with many helpful posters, but the wiki usually has more info about how something works then the quick answers people pop off here.

Here's the full requirements: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Steel (link to Steel article on Dwarf Fortress Wiki)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 09:51:47 pm by Lord Darkstar »
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

scaliper

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Scalips
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 11:41:34 pm »

Coolio, I skimmed it, but sseemingly not thoroughly enough. Thanks again.