Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Traveller - Traders Among the Stars - Looking for 1-4 more!  (Read 3431 times)

quintin522

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLYING_SPAGHETTI_MONSTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Traveller - Traders Among the Stars
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2010, 04:09:06 am »

Alright made a character. Needs polishing but it works
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 11:41:23 pm by quintin522 »
"I can't bleed to death now, I don't have time!"
Urist McExplorer, bolding going where no dwarf has OH GAWD THE MAGMA IT BURNSSSss..

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2010, 04:10:56 pm »

Looks good to me. You remembered to do an aging roll at the end of Term 4, right? If so, your character is ready to go!
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

quintin522

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2010, 06:48:57 pm »

Thanks for reminding me, I actually forgot that one. I'll make the roll and change my previous post if I failed. Also, forgot to ask this but what will the general TL available to us be? 9-12? And will we be doing a Skills Package?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 07:12:33 pm by quintin522 »
Urist McExplorer, bolding going where no dwarf has OH GAWD THE MAGMA IT BURNSSSss..

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2010, 07:04:54 pm »

Generation Complete (aka Someone please inform me how to use spoiler tags here)

Ok I'm pretty sure I did this correctly but I'm not completely sure.  I'll leave fleshing out my enemy and the chunk of ancient technology I got to our GM.  Feel free to correct me in any way though!  Also I need tech Level info to pick my scientific equipment.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 01:11:35 am by neotemplar »
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2010, 10:27:59 pm »

On a separate note for Quintin. Did you roll skill gains with each promotion? IE: "If you make a successful Advancement roll, then you move to the next rank and gain an extra roll on any of the Skills and Training Tables for this career. You also get any benefits listed for your new rank. "

Also: "Skills can be listed with or without an associated level. If no rank is listed, then you gain that skill at Level 1 if you do not have it already, or increases its level by one if you are already trained in that field. If a rank is listed, then you gain the skill at that level as long as it is better than your current level in that skill."  I took this to mean that you gain any skill not listed as a 0 at rank 1, and you seem not to have done this for the advocate skill so I'm wondering which of us is correct?  Or is this different for Psion characters?

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Traveller - Traders Among the Stars - Looking for 2-5 more!
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2010, 12:25:51 am »

Society at large is at TL12, though items of higher TL DO exist.

Ancient Civilizations do not feature prominently in this campaign, but I will give you something of equal value and flavour suited to the campaign to compensate, so no worries! I'll send you details once all the characters have been submitted, and you can choose to share this information with the other players at your own leisure.

We WILL be using skill packages, yes. Expect to be using the 'Traveller' skill package on page 38 of the Core Rulebook. We will also be using the connections rule, so start thinking about your characters' back stories and how they might relate to the other players (if we have to do a session before you get connection skills, that will be fine).

To do a spoiler tag type [ spoiler ] text or image [ /spoiler ]. You can also do [ spoiler=Something Amusing ] to give the Spoiler a title. For example:

Spoiler:
Cervantes Liopram
(click to show/hide)

It didn't matter in this case, but you do the survival roll BEFORE the event when you're rolling on careers. Since you never failed the survival roll, this is a moot point, so it won't change anything.

I had completely forgotten about gaining an extra skill during advancement, but you're right. It's easy to miss stuff. If you didn't do this already, Quintin, make sure you add these skills now.
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2010, 01:20:22 am »

Ok I'll pick out my science equipment after considering the tech level options.  As far as Character backgrounds I'm going to have mine be a wandering field scientist who investigates some form of social sciences.  Theoretically this means I could have a run in with anyone so I'm open to suggestions.  Perhaps I was investigating the culture of the psion underworld and ran into Quornes?  That seems fairly plausible and wouldn't even mean I actually found out he's a psion.

Also for clarity do bonus connections skills start at 0 or 1?  I'm assuming 0 currently. Also what type of weapon is a stunstick?  As I may take a weapon proficiency with it as I kinda really want one hahaha.  here I assume Bludgeoning?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 01:41:47 am by neotemplar »

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2010, 02:13:07 am »

Stunsticks are, indeed, bludgeoning weapons.

EDIT: One thing I overlooked on both your sheets. You need to pick a specialty for gun combat.

Slug Thrower Pistol/Slug Thrower Rifle/Energy Pistol/ Energy Rifle

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2010, 02:22:41 am »

Ok no problem, I had no idea how the gun specialties worked.  I think I'll be going slug thrower rifle because it makes more sense for my Field scientist guy given his wilderness survival skills.  Also I'd rather be somewhat further away from ravenous aliens than pistol range haha.

I just noticed something happy! We've got a high enough tech level for gauss rifles! If only they didn't cost over 3k credits a clip.

Also are you including shotguns in the slug thrower rifle group? If so the hilarity of shotgun recoil in zero G could ensue!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 04:10:13 am by neotemplar »

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2010, 03:36:39 pm »

Yep, shotguns typically count as Slug Thrower Rifles. You'll be hard pressed to use them in Zero-G, though, because you can't fire them in a vaccuum.

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2010, 03:46:28 pm »

That's odd that you can't fire them in a vaccum, I was under the impression that most shells had enough internal atmosphere to support combustion.  Still it was more to joke about using firearms as a form of propulsion anyway.

Ok for my Scientific equipment rolls I'm taking Electromagnetic Probe and (Sensors 2).

And now a question. Do I need to take specialties in the following skills? Social Science and Languages?
Also the guide says I can just buy 2k worth of personal gear... Time to look into some small stuff.

Oh yeah I'm also a semi regular visitor of the Bay 12 games IRC channel so feel free to PM me on there. (same name as here)  Might help me gain more clarity on forming character backstory and answer questions like how we are using the ship's locker rules.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 08:38:49 pm by neotemplar »

quintin522

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2010, 01:01:52 am »

On a separate note for Quintin. Did you roll skill gains with each promotion? IE: "If you make a successful Advancement roll, then you move to the next rank and gain an extra roll on any of the Skills and Training Tables for this career. You also get any benefits listed for your new rank. "

Also: "Skills can be listed with or without an associated level. If no rank is listed, then you gain that skill at Level 1 if you do not have it already, or increases its level by one if you are already trained in that field. If a rank is listed, then you gain the skill at that level as long as it is better than your current level in that skill."  I took this to mean that you gain any skill not listed as a 0 at rank 1, and you seem not to have done this for the advocate skill so I'm wondering which of us is correct?  Or is this different for Psion characters?
Completely forgot the advancement rolls, thanks. Same thing with the skill gain. Updating that, and adding background to character with some areas for possible connections

MagmaDeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2010, 02:38:57 am »

Needs some polish
Knowledge=Power=Energy=Matter=Mass.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2010, 04:37:57 am »

Wish I could join up, but I don't have a lot of time these days.......... When would be the normal Playing time???
(I am +9.30hrs EastCoast Australia)
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2010, 10:11:02 pm »

Timing depends on whether we want evening or late night meetings (going on EST here, so it would be late or early for you). I can do late night meetings most nights, though weekends work best for me in that regard. For evenings, Saturdays, Sundays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays are the days we have to choose from.

We still need 1-4 more.
Pages: 1 [2] 3